Least Favorite Book

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Jun 17, 2013.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2013

I was going to post a request for summer book recommendations, but then I realized I have a stack in the office and several on my Kindle...so I'll read them! :)

Instead, just for fun, is there is a book you just couldn't finish or perhaps you finished it but wished you could get your time back? I have three:

1. Crime and Punishment (just...no)
    2. Heart of Darkness (though I'd like to give it another try now)
    3. Where the River Ends (good reviews...just couldn't finish it)

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 17, 2013

I go through periods where I just can't seem to finish anything. I currently have 40+ books on my bookshelf that I haven't read, or started and couldn't finish.
    The first book that comes to mind that I hated was Fifty Shades of Gray. I get why people like it. I love a good fluffy, mindless book. I don't even mind a little trashy. But I intensely hated this book. I thought it was horrible!

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 18, 2013

Haha... your first two were the ones that popped into my head as soon as I saw the thread title! Crime and Punishment was the only assignment I didn't do in high school. We were supposed to read it largely over Christmas break. I got to page 300 something and just couldn't do it anymore, which was really unlike me...that shows how bad it is! I read the cliff notes for both the test and the essay, and ironically it was one of my better grades in that class.

I had to read Heart of Darkness as one of my summer reading books for the same class. I did finish, but it was awful! I remember my entire class hating it. I also wasn't a fan of Pride and Prejudice which we'd read a couple of years earlier. My friends in the class loved it, but I found it horribly dry. I felt like all they ever did was sit around and talk for pages on end. On the other hand, I loved Jane Eyre, The Scarlet Letter, and Wuthering Heights which were all fairly unpopular in our class.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

Moby Dick - tried it again recently. Still nope.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 18, 2013

I didn't mind Heart of Darkness. I read it in college.
    I usually finish a book when I start it but sometimes I just can't.
    I tried to read Casual Vacancy by J.K.Rowling. Lets just say she should stick to writing about wizards...

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 18, 2013

My college professor had us read only certain chapters of Moby Dick because she said if she assigned the whole book people would start dropping her classes LOLOL

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013

I've tried a couple times to finish The Scarlet Letter...

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

Mrs. Dalloway
    To the Lighthouse
    Huck Finn

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2013

I didn't read any books assigned in high school, but that's because I was a brat. The one I read as an adult that I only finished to finish because I was on a 5 hour plane ride was-- "Room" by Emma Donoghue. Everyone thought it was all innovative because it was written by the kid, but it was just plain annoying to me. And the story sucked too.

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

I find most books that I stop reading, I don't really remember anything about them... I just get bored of it, so it's not so much that I hate it.

I do remember having to read The Giver in English... I know English teachers all over would have me caned for this, but I just couldn't stand it! I might be more able to handle it now (I never liked being forced to read a novel) but I don't think I'd read it anyway.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

Ah, my favorite, monsieur!

13. ATwainedTeacher

ATwainedTeacher Rookie

Jun 18, 2013

Everyone's least favorite books are some of my all-time favorites (Moby Dick, Huck Finn, Crime and Punishment). I've got a fetish for big books, however.

Some ones I could not make myself get through:

Lolita - Never understand why this one is so popular. It just totally creeped me out. I couldn't keep reading it.
    Heart of Darkness - Uck.
    Anything by Charles Dickens.
    Sister Carrie - Finally managed to get through this one, but I had to because of college.
    Middlemarch
    Ulysses - Really? I have to have a book to explain how to read this other book? I think people purely read this one to say they did.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

:lol:

15. melnm

melnm Companion

Jun 18, 2013

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but these days if I start a book and can't get into it or just don't like it, I'll stop reading. I used to have to finish a book once I started it. I now realize there are way too many books to do that!

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2013

TeacherNY~I couldn't finish Casual Vacancy either!! That's saying a lot because even if a book is horrible, I'm one of those people that feel like I have to finish it! There was one other book that I got to page 100 and couldn't finish it, but I can't remember the title. It was that bad!

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

I second, or third, Ulysses!

18. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 18, 2013

I had to read an autobiography called "Goodbye to All That" by Robert Graves. It's about World War I. Any war books that are based specifically on combat kinda put me to sleep :unsure:

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm is the first one that comes to mind. I had forgotten about 50 Shades of Grey. I normally like trashy romance books, but this was just awful. Part of me said keep reading and part of me, as I was reading, was saying why am I reading this? I stopped after maybe the first 3 or 4 chapters.

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 18, 2013

I just read the Woman Upstairs which had outstanding reviews. I read the first chapter and thought she was a great writer, this is going to be good, a little dark, which I like. I even suggested the title to my mom. It was soooo hard to finish (I'm one too who feels they have to finish it)-I disliked the main character more than any in recent history. She was just so whiny and annoying. Ugh.

I can't remember any of the classics I had trouble with, but I had to read the Long Winter, Laura Ingalls Wilder a few years ago (and I loved that series as a kid). About 100 pages in I was rooting for the blizzard. ;)

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2013

I can't really get into the classics very much. I mostly just read for fun on my kindle. I love romance novels!

Several years ago I tried to read David Copperfield and couldn't finish. I actually tried 2-3 times and could never get into it that much.

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013

I hate Jane Eyre. Hate, hate, hate it.

I seriously just want to jump into the book and punch her face. I mean, I get that it was all hard and tragic and blah, blah, blah, but really: stop reminding me every 30 seconds about how amazing you are for dealing with stuff.

Hate.

23. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2013

Birdsong really creeped me out. I sold it back to the used bookstore as soon as I finished it because it was giving me nightmares even just sitting on the shelf! I've decided WWI was the creepiest war!

I can't remember the title, but my English 101 class in college had us read something that had a very detailed description of a back alley abortion. I was 17, and so not prepared for that!

24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 18, 2013

I have bought a few dollar deal romance novels on Amazon that I have not finished. These weren't literature by any stretch of the imagination. I usually tough it out even if I'm not a fan, but there have been several lately that I just couldn't finish.

I don't remember the titles and I've deleted them so I can't warn anyone else.

25. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

BF said his two least favorite are Wuthering Heights and Moby Dick.

26. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

Oh, I love so many of these books: Heart of Darkness, Jane Eyre, Mrs. Dalloway, Room, The Giver, Wuthering Heights

For the record, the first time I read Mrs. Dalloway I hated it. The second time I read it a university professor explained it to me and now I read it every few years because it is brilliant.

Books I can't finish:

Stone Diaries by Carol Shields - I try every summer and quit

The first book in the Harry Potter series - I have never gotten past chapter 2

27. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 18, 2013

The only book that I just did not read in my academic career was Heart of Darkness. I tried and just couldn't do it. It sits on the bookshelf as I type this, because my fiance bought it when it was referenced on LOST (most of his books were purchased due to this, ha!). Maybe I should pick it up and give it a chance.

I remember the first time I had to read Jane Eyre I hated it. Somehow in college it was an assigned book 3 times for me, and on that 2nd time I had a professor that really changed my understanding of it. I really loved it the 2nd and 3rd time! Maybe I just need someone to help change Heart of Darkness for me.

28. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

MissScrimmage, my prof told all of us to read Mrs. Dalloway again at age 40 and we would like it.

29. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 19, 2013

Senior year of High School in English class we were assigned a few incredibly boring and inane books. Namely Things Fall Apart (a book about.. the colonization of Africa, I think? Even our LTS was bored with it after a quarter of the book) and the other one I think it was called In My Place, it was a memoir of the first black woman to get into some Georgia college. Sure, it was important but man did the majority of the book make watching grass grow seem as exciting as a roller coaster ride.

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 19, 2013

I remember Things Fall Apart when my sister had to read it in school. I was an English teacher at the time and I read a bit of it then told her to get the Cliff's Notes. It was that bad LOL

31. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 19, 2013

"The Upper Room" ~Mary Monroe~

It starts out awesome then it gets random! The main character is a morbidly obese woman described as having high blood pressure, flat feet, wheezes when she walks, etc, yet she fights men & at one point someone calls her fat, so she rushes across the room and wrenches the man's arm clean from the socket!

I stopped reading it after the character was shot point blank in the chest, yet she keeps running toward the shooter and kills him. A few days later she thinks she has "gas" and it turns out to be a bullet logged in her fat. So she pops it out and grabs a beer.

I was really dissapointed because this author wrote another series of books called "God Don't Like Ugly" that I really enjoyed. My family is from the South, so I was able to relate to the dialect and a lot of the off-beat characters. The books are also set in the 50s and 60s and having heard so many stories from my mom and aunties about life back then, it was interesting.

I also really hated the Scarlet Pimpernel when I was a teenager. I didn't understand it and my English teacher used to make us read a chapter each night for homework, then another chapter during class, then we'd take a quiz on it then take a quiz. EVERY DAY. For EVERY chapter. We never discussed the story so I kept flunking the tests.

I found Room interesting enough to hold my attention, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it innovative. It felt kind of detached and vague at times. I had to fill in a lot of blanks for myself.

It was interesting to hear what situations like that are like from a child's perspective, but I feel I would have enjoyed it more if the narration alternated between the child, mother (and maybe the kidnappers) P.O.V.

32. cindy lou

cindy lou Rookie

Jun 19, 2013

least fave

In high school and college I was assigned many books-most of which I loved. One that I just could NOT stand was Old Man and the Sea by Hemmingway. I am a lover of books of any kind...but seriously? How long can I stay entertained by reading about some guy who can't land his catch?

Maybe I'd feel differently about it now as an adult. I'd just like a chance to go back to my English teacher and ask why, with all of Hemmingway to choose from, did you pick this one?

33. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 19, 2013

I don't stop reading many books, but I could not finish:
    Peter Pan
    Johnny Tremaine

I hated the last book of the Twilight series, and had to force myself to finish it.

34. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 20, 2013

The only thing I remember from it is the main character's name - Okonkwo.

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2013

Call me Ishmael
    [​IMG]

36. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 21, 2013

There are so many books on this thread that I love! That said, the ONLY assigned book I couldn't get through in high school was A Tale of Two Cities. Not a fan. Maybe I should try again. I also don't like any Twilight/50 Shades or similar type books that are popular now. I read Things Fall Apart when I was way too young, and I'd like to read it again now that I know the significance of it... Eventually.

37. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2013

Grapes of Wrath

38. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jun 21, 2013

Catcher in the Rye- Got assigned it in high school and I thought it was awful. The main character was annoying and the writing and "gee whiz!" nature of it made me want to scream! I get that it was controversial for that day and time but I don't think it aged well at all!

Anything by Ayn Rand that was assigned...

My least favorite book was one we had to read in college. Lucky by Alice Sebold (she wrote The Lovely Bones), which was a memoir. It was pretty terrible. It annoyed me so much it made me not like the writer, LOL. I will never read it again.

It's funny how most of us hate books that were assigned to us in class!

39. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2013

Hardest book to read for me was A Beautiful Mind.

40. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 21, 2013

The ONLY book I ever absolutely refused to keep reading was Ethan Frome. It was assigned my junior year in high school, and I hated it - and I was (and am) a readaholic!

41. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 21, 2013

My BA is in English, and my MA is in American & British literature. In general I find early American writing really dry. However, I like reading in general, so I still read everything. I don't have to "like" a book in order to appreciate it.

One book that I want to love is The Great Gatsby. I've read it for multiple classes, and I reread it before the movie came out. (I haven't seen the movie yet.) I really like the idea behind the book, and I always think I should like it. I never do.

We got a set of Things Fall Apart with our literature books. I'd never read it, so I took one home for the weekend. When I went back to work on Monday, I had the boxes moved to storage.