Learning students names

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TJB, Aug 25, 2008.

1. TJB

TJB New Member

Aug 25, 2008

Does anyone have useful methods for learning 30 student names quickly?
    TJB

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 25, 2008

Yes. Take your digital camera in. Make a list of the student's names, and call them up one by one and snap a face-shot picture in the same order as the list.

When you get home, put it on your computer. Type in the names, and make a slideshow (it doesn't take long to do it.) You would be shocked how much it helps!

4. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

the music teacher does this and then prints out the pictures for herself and me.... it does help a bit. I have about 180 new kids to learn this year... all the first graders and kindergarteners.... plus any new kids to the district. it gets tricky when you have 650 students. hahahahah I usually don't get the names real well until they hit 2nd grade. Except for the troublemakers... those you learn right away. hahaha

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2008

I look for things that don't change: marks on the face, arms, legs or glasses. My kiddos wear uniforms so I can't use clothing to help me remember names.

6. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 25, 2008

Does anyone take pictures on Open House night? I was thinking of doing this and then using the pictures for something....not sure what, though! :D

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 25, 2008

Make a Welcome to 3rd Grade BB. Use the pictures and names on the BB.

We make tri pod name tags. Put the name on the front and back of the tri pod. Tape the tri pod to the right hand top corner of the desk. They keep their pencils in the center and they don't have to open and shut their desk every time they need a pencil.

8. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 25, 2008

Pictures definitely help. And name tags on the front of their desk.

I also have the kids make WANTED posters on the first day of school, so I bring in my camera and take pictures to put on their posters. And (of course) I look through them that first night. I can usually get most of the names memorized by the next day.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 25, 2008

I'm planning on drawing up seating charts (since I have a special seating arrangement) and using the camera idea to take pictures. I think I learn better by having a seating arrangement and then visually learning students, but we'll see.

I have 4 sections of around 16 students... but I've done 4 sections of close to 30 students before no problem :D

10. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

I'm not sure how scientific this is, but for some reason it really helps me to learn the names when I group the students by desk clusters of 4. That way, instead of memorizing 28 different names of kids sitting all over the room, it feels like I'm only memorizing 7 groups of names. It really works well for me! You could also arrange the students alphabetically by first name, rather than last name when you are trying to learn the names. This is also easier for me.

I agree with everyone who said take pictures. I definitely do that.

By the end of the first week, I play games with the kids where I try to go around and say all of the names, etc.

11. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

I'm departmentalized so I have around 140 names to learn. I get the kids to make a "nameplate" the first day of school, and each of my math classes puts their nameplate on their desk every day that they come to math. It helps me to see a name and face together. It usually just takes me about 7 days to get all 140 names when I can see a name and a face together like that.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 25, 2008

I guess that explains why my teachers always had us sitting in ABC order and/or had a seating chart that stayed within reach. LOL So they could remember who we were!

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2008

I am better with numbers, so I assign them all one. I learn them through the numbers! I can remember Susie is 4 and that face belongs to kid 4, so that kid must be Susie.

My brain works a little different than most though :huh:

14. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 25, 2008

At Head Start I'd put their name on their chairs so I could see them when I walked behind them. I'd also pick about three kids a day to call on and try to remember their names that way. :D

This year I only have 3 students, so it is not an issue....

15. seemoreglass

seemoreglass Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

Hey, this is great advice and applies to other areas of learning/memorizing. Humans for some reason are better at memorizing things if we can put them into groups of 3 or 4. That's why telephone numbers are broken up into 3 and 4 digits. Easier to remember!

Name tags on the desks are key, too. I also try to force myself to call them by name (and call on everyone, not just those with their hands up). even if I don't know their name, I'll pause and wonder just enough to be able to see their name tag before calling them.

I'm running through my groups and visualizing them and trying to remember names now (today was the 1st day), remembered 23 out of 25, almost! I'm sure I'll kick myself when I look at my class list and see who I missed.

16. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 25, 2008

For 3rd grade do you still put their names on their desks? Or, do you put them in front of their desks?

17. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 25, 2008

I think it varies for each person. It helps me to have something to see, once I see a name written down I can usually remember it.
    I know another teacher that goes around the room, has each student say something that the teacher must know about them. Then after they are done, she says their name and everyone that went before them. She says she knows them names within an hour by doing this.

18. TAZmo

TAZmo Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

I use last year's yearbook. It works for most of the students. I get my class list. Then I look them up in last year's book. I try to commit photo to name so that I can recognize them. Some of them I can remember from recess duty the year before. However sometimes I cannot. It does not work well for those students that came after the yearbook photos have been taken. But it usually works very well.

19. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2008

I do numerous activities where they say their names and I also say their name. I also try and always say the child's name. I give them name tags. I have them write their own name tags also.

20. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Aug 26, 2008

I saw another art teacher post it. It is really hard to learn all their names! I think I had about 750 or so last year. the hardest part at my one builing was remembering how they pronounced their a's and i's in their names! One student, Amoni, every time I saw her name I always had to think it in a jamacian accent to remember how to say her name. I find it easier to learn the younger ones names since I'm on a cart b/c they'll have their nametags taped on their desks. I always just try to think of something specific about them that I'll remember. Name games with the younger ones are always fun b/c it helps them learn eachothers names and you learn them too! It also doesn't help when I have kids come in and out everyday. Every day in my mailboxes I would lose or get new kids. And some would come back later in the year. We had a family of 5 kids start about the first 3 monthes, then come back for the last month.

21. collidingstars

collidingstars Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Besides what I've seen mentioned here (name tags, seating charts, pictures...)

I've found that name games work well. Such as having the students come up with a verb to put in front of their name that starts with the same letter as their first name. You can also do it with food, fruit, etc. I found this was very helpful for large groups of kids. Name games work with older grades too and it helps the kids learn each other's names. Have each kid repeat the name of the student in front of them (Apple Ashley, Apricot Andrew, Grape Gracie, etc). You will have to be the last person to repeat every name. This puts some pressure on you but also makes you pay attention.

Mini biographies work too.... it helps give you something to latch on to. I've used m&m's - each student got 2-3 m&ms (more or less depending on your time frame) and each color m&m corresponds to a fact that they have to tell about themselves. Such as blue = favorite movie or green = hobbies.

Sitting down with the attendance sheet every day - after school and/or during school (such as lunch) and going over the names also helps. If you sit down and visualize each student as you look at their name, that can help you remember them. Especially since you're doing it daily. Then you can pick out the students you're having difficulty remembering and use one of the other strategies to remember their names.

22. collidingstars

collidingstars Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

I've seen third grade classrooms that did it both ways. When the names were in front of their desks it worked best for me because then I could always look at their nametags if I got stuck.
    If they're in desk groups, you can't see their nametags if they're on the front, so names on top of the desks works better (but those get picked at and picked off quite quickly).