Learning loss!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Regan@Off2Class, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Regan@Off2Class

Regan@Off2Class Rookie

Sep 23, 2021

Hi all, I wanted to inquire and see what other teachers thought of the term learning loss. English learners have been disproportionately impacted by the pandemic and the language surrounding this is something some of my colleagues and I are trying to navigate. Do you think the term “learning loss” has a negative connotation? I would love to hear any thoughts from you, thanks in advance!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2021

Just the word loss in general makes me think negatively.

4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2021

Learning loss to me has a little different meaning. I had always heard it used after kids had learned something, but forgot it during summer. I think w/ the disruptions of Covid, a lot of kids did not have the learning to lose it. They did lose out on the learning though. It does have a bit of a negative "feel" to it. I am sure if people played with words, they'd come up with a better term. :)

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2021

Learning loss is not a positive thing. I've also only heard it as a term where the student once had the knowledge but no longer does. I believe educational methods used during COVID cause lack of learning time or ineffective teaching methods due to either issues at home or poor choices for learning in the virtual environment. I wouldn't term the later "learning loss".

6. Regan@Off2Class

Regan@Off2Class Rookie

Sep 27, 2021

Thank you so much everyone!

7. Nickie Wallace

Nickie Wallace New Member

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:59 AM

I think the pandemic has had a detrimental effect on the quality of knowledge. I don't quite know about you, but I can observe the students at my school - well, the children have become more independent and attentive. Even have enough inspiration to write essays, rather than to order from the site https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/cultural-diversity/, when I check for uniqueness by checking with this resource. One student shared that it is easier to study at home; no one distracts me or asks me to cheat. The home environment is calming, making your workplace safe.

8. Regan@Off2Class

Regan@Off2Class Rookie

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:42 AM

That’s great to hear. Where are you located?

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:59 AM

Don't click on that link. Sounds like a scam and someone is trying to sell us something. :mad:

Tired Teacher likes this.