Learning in 90 degree heat.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, May 25, 2010.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 25, 2010

Yikes! Our school does not have AC and this week has been HORRIBLE! The kids are so uncomfortable that it's difficult to get anything done. Their faces are red all day...We take water breaks, they bring water bottles, we have fans running, blinds stay closed, but nothing really helps.

If you have AC be VERY VERY thankful!!!

3. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 25, 2010

I've had those days...usually in August when it's over 100 here! :(

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 25, 2010

DITTO!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 25, 2010

I feel your pain, DrivingPigeon! I hope they all remember to pack deodorant in their backpacks tomorrow!

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 25, 2010

I remember a couple of years ago it was soo hot with my second graders that I went and taught in the hall because with the cement walls it was somehow better in there! Of course we couldnt do this all day as the kids were sitting on the floor but it was a little break.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 25, 2010

We didn't go to the computer lab today because it was just too stuffy in that closed-in space. We spread out through the hall instead.

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 25, 2010

It's so cold here! It's late May and we froze and got soaked with rain on our field trip. I want a cost-of-living refund....

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 25, 2010

Driving, I'm thankful for AC in this weather. I have to say though, I LOVE this compared to what we get in January and February.....and March....and..well, you know what I mean.:p
    I really need to move south.

10. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

May 25, 2010

It was horrible in my classroom today, too. Ugh. I hate it!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 25, 2010

I love the heat!!

Today was low 80's, tomorrow looks to be 7 or degrees warmer. I LOVE it!!!

And the AC in the faculty room made me chilly :)

12. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

May 25, 2010

Sometimes I have found that teaching outside under the shade of a tree is nice. Even the littlest breeze can help A LOT. Add in some popsicles....

Oh, and the PE teacher at my last school had one of those water bottles with a little foam fan attached. The kids LOVED getting sprayed by that! Fun!

Hang in there....

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 25, 2010

I was going to post the same thing, Shelly! Freezing and wet! I'd give anything for some heat....

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 25, 2010

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

May 25, 2010

I have been in your shoes the past couple of days and I agree with you 100%! It's impossible to get much learning happening when the kids are so over heated. Our school is without air conditioning and our fan gets so loud we can't hear each other! Some of the kids have been bickering more and I'm sure it's due to the heat and humidity. I truly dislike hot, hot days stuck in a classroom. During summer vacation, I don't mind so much.

16. bros

bros Phenom

May 25, 2010

In my HS when it got that hot, nobody was allowed to have drinks in the classrooms (The administrators would patrol the halls and peer into classrooms to see if anyone had a drink out).

So some classes taught lessons in the auditorium. One time all of the world history classes went into the auditorium and one of the teachers taught us

17. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

May 25, 2010

Makes me wonder how we ever survived - my schools were not air conditioned and we certainly were not allowed to bring water bottles. We had to use the water fountain. :)

18. texteacher

texteacher Companion

May 25, 2010

The AC keeps breaking every few days at my school and this is in Texas! In the beginning of the year in August we had no AC at all because it was broken. It was horrible. The heat got so bad that water was condensing all over the floors and kids were slipping around.

I never complain with the AC does work and my room is freezing. I'd much rather have it that way. Hopefully it will get cooler for you DrivingPigeon.

19. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

May 25, 2010

Tomorrow is supposed to be 93 in NJ. I think that will make my room cool 100+. The school is seriously like an oven. Hopefully we get an early dismissal.

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 26, 2010

So why is it still rainy and cold here in Oregon?

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 26, 2010

I'm in CA and it was rainy and cold here. :) I love the rain.
    Where I live, it will easily get into the tripple digits in summer time, and I HATE the heat. I think I am meant to live up in the Washington area.

Anyways, sorry you have to work in those conditions. Does it normally get that hot there? If so, why does your school not have AC then? How in the world are the kids expected to learn and raise the school's API number?

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 26, 2010

A couple years ago some friends and I were comparing notes about a/c breakdowns (there was a rash of broken air conditioners that year), and across the board, those who worked in older buildings didn't see as much heat retention, and were less uncomfortable as those in newer buildings. Our general theory is that older buildings are draftier and less well insulated, so they don't retain as much heat as the newer buildings that are designed to hold the a/c and/or heat inside. Wether that's correct, I have no idea, but those were our thoughts.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 26, 2010

Peachy, these hot, hazy, humid days seldom come along during the school year, at least around here. It's unusual to have more than 3 or 4 during a school year.

So AC simply isn't cost effective.

Kind of like snow plows in all the states that had surprise snow days this winter. The southern states were unprepared simply because it so seldom happens; it's not worth the financial outlay to be prepared for something so rare.

When the weather takes an unusual turn, you just cope as best you can.

24. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 26, 2010

The last time that happened to me, I went to walmart and bought a huge pack of washcloths (enough for each student to have 2)- I got them wet and put them in ziplock bags and stuck them in our freezer (we have one in the teacher's lounge). Then I gave out one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Putting it on their neck helped a bit.

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 26, 2010

Great idea, loves2teach.

26. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 26, 2010

We had the saem conditions when I was in school, however....we also had 2-hour early dismissals due to heat on a very regular basis. If the temp was 88 or above by noon, all schools dismissed. In August and June, that was sometimes every day.

For a while when I started teaching, my room (a later addition to the school) was the only air conditioned room in the building. I was kind enough to share during planning periods or to do some "buddy" work with other classes, or to allow small groups to meet in my cubby room, etc. Now each room has window unit air conditioners, which is an improvment in temperature, but not in NOISE. We desperately need a new school building.

27. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 26, 2010

Actually, most old buildings (and I mean 50 years old +) were designed and built to be more comfortable without the use of air conditioning and central heating. And, they were built from more natural products.

For example, none of the schools here in Texas had AC when I was a kid. All the schools had lots of windows and were laid out at angles that helped catch breezes. Open windows and ceiling fans kept us cooler. Like one of the other posters, we only had (unchilled) water from the water fountains. None of us got sick from the heat, but then we were used to it. It's all relative and what you are used to. Nowadays, I would not stay in the building if our AC broke :haha:

28. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 26, 2010

Welcome to my PE world in Fla. Many days in Aug and Sept
    along with May June do we endure those temps. No gymnasium for us.

29. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 26, 2010

Well, I'm in Wisconsin, so we have maybe 6 hot weeks a year (at most). Last year we only had about 2 really hot days, and this fall was pretty cool. The newer schools in the district do have AC, though. So, at least it's not every day, but the few days that it is like this, it's really hard!

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2010

My first year we had our back to school nite a couple nites before school started. It was like in the 90s with heat indexes in to the lower 100s, plus I was pregnant. I mean sweating like a _____ you can fill in whatever saying you want there!!! LOL!!!

I read somewhere someone setting a bowl of ice cubes in front of a fan to help the air feel cooler. Never tried it.

31. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 26, 2010

My room this year doesn't have A/C, although about half our building does (the 3-6 rooms were a couple of additions, and 2 of the 4 K rooms have window units)... next year I have it, though... it wasn't a big deal for most of this year... just the beginning of the year and this past week. Monday wasn't so bad, but today has been unbearable unless the fan is blowing right on me ;) I think the heat has gradually increased this week :)

It's supposedly cooling down a bit tomorrow (75-80, I think), and we're having our outside day... water balloons, popsicles, etc. It will be nice. Institute Friday, then I have kids Tues. and Wed. next week. We're not getting much done the rest of the time, but we're gonig to make milkshakes next Tuesday. That will keep us cool! :)

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 26, 2010

I told the caretaker this morning that I was going to break the Health and Safety regulations and prop the door to the Science room open while I taught my English class in there. I told him that being in a room with 29 grade 7 and 8 students right after a 30 minute recess was more of a health risk than anything else could possibly be. :lol:

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 26, 2010

Don't shoot me.....

I actually like a few "dog days" before the end of the year.

For starters, I LIKE the heat-- Disney in August is my idea of a good time!!

But more than that, it gives the opportunity for the "if you think THIS is bad, just imagine summer school!!!" speech, early enough that it might still do some good!

34. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

May 26, 2010

I'm VERY lucky, my classroom has AC (altho the entire school doesn't) - I don't control it so it doesn't always work properly, but overall, it's very nice. Sometimes it works TOO well and the kids complain about being cold - I tell them to bring a sweatshirt and stop complaining! :)

35. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 27, 2010

I've never heard of this locally. I can't believe you guys are teaching without ACs...especially in the South. That is dangerous.

36. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 27, 2010

I remember the old days with no AC. We had high ceilings and they put a fan in the front of the room to move some air.
    Mostly I remember as a kid getting down on our terrazo floor at night to sleep as it was SOOOOOOOOOO HOT. Looking back I could have bought myself a fan. Duhhhhhhhhh

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 27, 2010

I zipped out at lunch today and bought popsicles for my class. It's amazing how popular you become, and how much power your wield when it's disgustingly hot and humid and you hold a box of popsicles!

38. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

May 27, 2010

I'm with Jem, TeacherShelly and Blue here....we're miserably cold and wet! I know I live in Oregon - but come on, it'll be JUNE next week!?!? I'd like for it at least to warm up into the upper 60's - and be dry!!!

Current conditions....gray, rainy and 53 degrees!!!!!

39. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

May 27, 2010

I second that. I'm in California. I just left my room to go to the bathroom, but now my socks are soaking wet, as are my pants, my hair, and my EYEBROWS?? This is ridiculous.

40. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 27, 2010

Almost 90F here and humid--thunderstorms tonight and it should be much cooler tomorrow.

41. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 27, 2010

It is funny who becomes your friend when you have popsicles or what teachers have like popsicle radar!!! LOL!!!

It was a little cooler here today...not much. We are going to be 82 tomorrow!!! Just about an hour north of us they had like 4 inches of rain. My dad said it was crazy...dark clouds, tons of lightning... nothing here!!!