Learning idea/activity suggestions for parents during summer?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, May 23, 2011.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 23, 2011

I was thinking of sending a letter home giving the parents some ideas of ways that they could stimulate some learning while over summer break. Do you do this? If yes, what do you say or do you get the letter from another source?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 23, 2011

We send home a book with each student and a math packet that must be completed. Then we also send home a list of summer reading books that we send to the local bookstores and a list of math websites.

4. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 23, 2011

And will they actually do it over the summer? I love the idea, but I can see many students not doing it at all...

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 24, 2011

Our entire district requires the summer reading book and the math packet. Anything extra is just provided as extra.

We give the kids the first week back of school to complete their book and about two weeks to complete the summer math packet. But anyone completing it for the first day of school gets an extra reward (math anyways).

I would say about 75% of our kids complete them over the summer and another 15% complete it during the first few weeks back. Maybe only 10% don't complete it, but most try.

6. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

May 24, 2011

Most of our students do not have computers, so that is a bit limiting. I did my final newsletter yesterday, and suggested that the parents sign the kids up for the public library's summer reading program. I provided an address to the library. I also mentioned the HPB summer reading program, and suggested some other free local activities like museums. I also suggested journaling or letter writing.