learning center

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Guest, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 19, 2003

I teach second grade and am interested in setting up learning centers. Although I have some basic ideas, I'm not sure how to set up the centers and what type of materials I can use. I keep coming up with worksheets, but they can get boring. Any help would be appreciated.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 19, 2003

I have subbed in a 2nd grade class where they did centers. One was flash cards...math, maybe spelling, money (coins on them and they had to count the money), sometimes it was handwriting, a fun sheet, read to the teacher, a Pick center out of certain items, a game called BANG (I found it somewhere on the net, but if you want to know how to make it, just post back on here) that has to do with site words. When I did centers in K we did a color sheet, something usually with a poem and picture, math tubs, something with our letter of the week.
    I know center worksheets can be boring... 1 or 2 centers with a worksheet, but the others should definately be hands on.
    Hope this helped some... Good Luck!!!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 24, 2003

I teach 2nd grade and have a learning center. I have a talking phonics robot, a globe, wipe on/off reading cards. wipe on/off addtions/subtraction. I have flash cards for phonics, money, math,and letters. I also have stencils. My learning center is right next to my "room library". so the books are right there with everything. Most of my stuff I picked up at garage sales or goodwill stores for a little of nothing. The kids love it!! I also have bright colored crates (wal-mart 88 cents) sitting around my room with books in them. The kids love to look through these and find books to check out.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2003

My balanced lit centers:
    Spelling- magnet letters with metal tin covers, wipe off boards and markers, words to practice on sentence strips

Handwriting- letters words on paper inside page protectors for them to trace with wipe off markers, paper pencils to recreate page after practicing

Browse basket- books on a topic we're studying

Listening center- books on tape

Write the room

Blocks- build a struture with 12 or less blocks, write about your structure

Tell me a story- Picture cards with people, action depicted in them (I bought these from a catalog but you could make your own with magazine cut outs) the kids write a story on a response sheet I made to tell what's going on in the picture. It has to be a story with characters, setting, beginning, middle, end, etc.

Finishing center- finish stuff that's not complete

Writing center- fun paper, pens, markers, rubber stamps for creative writing

6. deko9

deko9 Rookie

Mar 2, 2003

overhead as projector

I am still trying to do centers in my 2nd gr. classroom. I really like trying to do different things. I have heard of teachers using the overhead as a center. What do you do? How do you use it? Where do you set it up? basic classroom mngmnt. questions.
    Thanks!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2003

Overhead center (as I have seen it- I don't use):

Have transparency of poem, song, etc on overhead- Have kids use vis a vis pens to circle on transparency for whatever skill you want to reinforce:
    hilite rhyming words
    circle all the words with the blend /sh/
    underline short e words

etc.

I have centers during guided reading or individual reading conference time. I keep a clipboard with class list and who has been to what center. I send them off from whole group either to centers or to reading.
    I've taught use of each center- If students don't behave in a center they lose the opportunity to do a center for a few days. Some centers have 'response sheets' that the kids turn in for me to look over. We also gather together at the end of reading time to share from our reading or news from our center work.

8. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Mar 3, 2003

addison wesley

a great book i always post because i found so much value in it to help set up centers:
    Workjobs by addison wesley

9. in the loop

in the loop Rookie

Mar 10, 2003

Re: overhead as projector

I put the overhead on the floor and shine it on a white wall. I have letter tiles we use sometimes for makingwords and overhead math manipulatives they use. Sometimes I just give them vis-a-vis pens and let them play teacher with their word wall words. This is a favorite center in my room.

A great book for centers is "What are the Other Kids Doing Whiled You Teach Small Groups" This book has great ideas for centers and management tips. It has been a wonderful resource for me this year in 2nd grade.