Learning alphabet fast

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissK2015, Sep 16, 2017.

1. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 18, 2017

What are these parents doing with their babies for five years? This is another nationwide problem...parents teaching their children NOTHING, then dumping them on the school steps (in some cases not even potty trained), and expecting the teacher to do miracles! It makes me angry...it's child abuse@!

Start by SINGING the alphabet song to them, until they get it. Then move on to visual identification. If you have the alphabet strung across the wall, using your pointer, go through the alphabet one letter at a time, pointing--you say it, they say it; then the sound that it makes. Go through the whole alphabet this way, every day, several times a day.
    Also incorporate practice writing one letter a day. You kind of teach it all as one package. This is 1960s stuff, but it works.

That would be my main goal for the whole year since you're starting with a clean slate. And maybe the last quarter start them on writing, and let the First Grade teacher take it from there.
    Good luck

2. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 18, 2017

I agree, it's not asking much for a kindergartner to be familiar with the concept of the alphabet by the time they enter school.

However, for decades plenty of parents have given their children reasonable exposure to the alphabet and books... and kindergarten was still used for mastering the alphabet.

Why now do we insist on so much so early? Why now are we pushing kids not developmentally ready?

Upsadaisy likes this.
  3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2017

These regional differences in pronunciation can make learning to read so challenging. Where I'm from, we don't say "bag" like 99% of the rest of the country says it. It's more like "beg" or "beyg", but not quite. To me, "egg" does not have the same short-e sound as "exit" or "elephant". It's not quite a long-a sound, either. It's like its own special sound that only people where I'm from can correctly make. When I say "egg" aloud, my mouth makes a completely different shape on the "e" sound than it does on the "e" sound in "exit".

otterpop likes this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2017

This question torments me, like for real. I have a young child who will be in kindergarten soonish. I want the focus to be on learning through play and imagination, not on sitting at a desk all day, but it may not work out that way. It really, honestly, truly makes me so sad for kids these days who are missing out on all the great benefits of play.

Upsadaisy, Obadiah, bella84 and 2 others like this.
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 18, 2017

Frankly, I'd prefer that a child arrive at kindergarten apparently not knowing the alphabet than arrive believing that "elemenopee" is a letter.

Obadiah, MrsC and Backroads like this.
  6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 18, 2017

I'd settle for no giggles when I say the letter P.

SpecialPreskoo, DAH and Backroads like this.
  7. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 18, 2017

LOL, Oh, Teacher, they will learn that elemenopee is five letters when you show them. LOL

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 18, 2017

But elemonopee is 10 letters.

:innocent:

9. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Sep 18, 2017

Lol, I can deal with kids coming in knowing not one letter, but the potty training is where I have to say "Not my job!" When I taught 4 year olds I could guarantee there would be at least three kids the first week who would announce their bowel movement to me in the expectation I was about to come wipe their rear end. Nope, the parents can deal with the skid marks. I also don't think it's too much to ask parents to teach them how to blow their noses.

Backroads, DAH and otterpop like this.
  10. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 18, 2017

When you work with kids that young, you almost have to expect that you will be doing things like that sometimes, they're still toddlers. That's one reason why I don't work with that age group anymore; I've done my time, let the younger women do it now (unless it's my granddaughter:) then I don't mind).

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 18, 2017

My SiL had an incident where a mom came to register
    My SiL had a story where a mother came in to register her twins for kindergarten... and asked at what point in the year they do the potty training. Secretary flat-out told Mom the kids were required to be potty trained before kindergarten registration.

Apparently Mom had been told by multiple people kindergarten was responsible for potty training.

otterpop, DAH and svassillion like this.
  12. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 18, 2017

I'm not surprised, Back. Young mothers are so busy these days, they haven't time to raise their children.

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 18, 2017

Which amazes me. I have a toddler and a preschooler and I know plenty of stay-at-home moms who are doing a-okay with keeping their kids alive and reasonably on target to maturity. With today's technology assisting the intense housekeeping of yesteryear, there's no reason to not be doing A-Okay at keeping kids alive and reasonably on target to maturity. Heck, plenty of them have the time to do some side businesses. My fellow working moms are generally in contact with the childcare folk, swapping information and agreement on such childraising situations.

So when I meet a mom completely unaware of basic childraising scenarios, it blows my mind. Really? You had no time to handle this situation?

DAH, Obadiah and AlwaysAttend like this.
  14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 19, 2017

I was wondering the same thing. The parents sat them in front of the tv watching those ridiculous kid shows they have on now. I can't stand them. Not educational at all. At least when my mom plopped me down in front of the tv I watched Sesame Street and could read fluently by the 2nd week of Kindergarten. And the potty training thing is just nuts.

DAH and Obadiah like this.
  15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 19, 2017

Some people aren't meant to even have kids if their lives are so crazy. Sorry, but it's the truth. They can't take care of themselves so can't even begin to raise a child and expect schools to do it for them.

DAH likes this.