Learner.org Writer's Workshop 3-5 Resources Page

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 6, 2007

http://www.learner.org/channel/workshops/writing35/

This is very helpful. It's a summer tradition of mine to watch the videos and adapt strong teaching practices for writing. :) Yet the website in itself is very nice, too- good informational .pdf files and more.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2007

That was one of my summer goals. Thanks for reminding me. Did you see the one where the teacher in Hawaii is using literature circles for the book Maniac Magee? I was very impressed.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 6, 2007

No, but it sounds great because I have referenced that book in my room. I have a few copies of it.

My ultimate favorite is the one where the fifth grade teacher talks about non-fiction (her name is Holly Concannon- I watched it last year).

I love how the writing teacher in one lesson I analyzed, too, told her students to restate the directions she covered. When the boy said, "Work with your partner", she responded, "Now, think about it. How do you work with your partner? This is almost a time where you expand on the details like you do in your writing."

5. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

i just watched that video last night on my puter! it gets me excited to begin working with my students again. have you seen any other teaching videos that are inspiring?

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2007

It's such an awesome resource. The K-2 workshops and videos are really great too. So great to see the workshop in action!!! :)

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 8, 2007

Everything's great! What is the link to the Maniac Magee video?

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 8, 2007

I'll go look now.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 8, 2007

Thanks. :) I know it'll be something to benefit from. It's a good book!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 8, 2007

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 8, 2007

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 8, 2007

I'm scanning it now. I don't think this is it. I'll keep looking.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 8, 2007

http://www.learner.org/vod/vod_window.html?pid=1972

This wasn't it... but I DO like the conversation the kids were leading at about 19:00. Very advanced, and I would love to know how teachers get into the conversations with the kids. I'm fascinated by literature circles, yet have never gotten THAT far. Maybe in spurts towards what I've desired... but it was funny because last year, two boys read My Side of the Mountain (and really provided an excellent summary for their reading group, who were reading different books) and made the other kids in the group giggle to an extent because I don't think they ever had anything like lit. circles before.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 8, 2007

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 8, 2007

That didn't print right. vod/vod_window.html?pid=1980

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 8, 2007

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 8, 2007

Thanks for the help.

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 8, 2007

Sure.

I liked the video; the Maniac Magee part wasn't all that long, but I wonder to myself how some teachers take the time in preparing their students to be excellent at literature circles. How do they encourage the discussion from those students who may be more on the introverted side? How do they get each student to contribute to the discussion with something authentic that he or she can talk a lot about? Was the conversation generated from the chart paper at the center of the table? I did something with the chart paper last year, yet the students never held as much a discussion as I would have preferred while completing it.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 8, 2007

They used that poster board to record their connections. I know, my kids never had the quality of discussions that I wanted for them. But, it is practice. When I skimmed through some of the other videos tonight, it was helpful.

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 8, 2007

Maybe with modeling, I can guide the class in the right direction. I know too the charts really help because they are split into areas for each student to write on. I am determined to help them in many ways this coming year. :) Perhaps the conversations can start with my homeroom in writer's workshop because I plan on doing a lot of modeling for what is "on the mark" for their conversations.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 9, 2007

Did you watch other videos on demand? They don't seem to do much modeling. I might pose questions, then leave them to come up with responses.

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 9, 2007

I have, and I realized the same thing. Maybe someone here can come up with an example. I am trying to remember how I attempted to introduce it last year, but since my students had only a past with centers and not any workshops (reader's or writer's), it was kind of-sort of hard.

Yet this year, I am taking on the challenge (especially in the writing arena) and teaching them to be creative. When I had this strange dream last night, I was the student and the teacher was giving me prompts... and I was upset because I've always been a writer. Whatever this dream was, I had to have been placed in the most boring classroom in the world because I watched all the other classes being creative.. and I was forced to learn specific writing techniques all the time.

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 9, 2007

Want to hear something funny? I asked the kids this question after reading Winn Dixie - "What did the character mean when she said, 'You can't cage a person up. A person is not a bird.'?" (Something close to that anyway...) One group of boys was silent for a long while and I went over to say, "Surely, someone has an idea." One kid said, "Okay. Did you ever try to put a person in a birdcage? They don't fit!" He said this very assuredly and the others in his group all agreed.

Some kids just will not entertain any higher level thinking....

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 9, 2007

Yup, still at fifth grade. I've had that happen in my room before, too. :)

I remember something a student read two years ago about a person being out in waist-deep water, but he told me you shouldn't be wasting water. I was mortified! However, I went over to my reading cards, and I spelled it waste-deep water. I must have been tired, and I should have double-checked it first.