Learned/Learning now?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by cdowdell, Dec 18, 2008.

1. cdowdell

cdowdell Companion

Dec 18, 2008

I was just hired to be a director/pre-school teacher. It is a program that meets during the school year.... 3 year olds come 2 times a week for 2 and half hours and 4 year olds come 3 times a week for 2 and half hours. I will start mid January and am wondering what your pre-schoolers have learned and are now learning....All the advice/info you can give would be great! Thanks again!

3. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Dec 18, 2008

It really varies based on your curriculum. I teach one letter per week in both classes (also 3s & 4s, set up like yours). I do more of an emphasis on letter sounds with the 4s, than with the 3s. We do a number or two per month (we're up through 5), a color & a shape per month (with the 3s only) and lots of pre-reading & pre-writing skills ( concepts about print) through morning messages and read-alouds. Most of the concepts (letters, numbers, etc) are also taught via a whole-language approach, incorporated into calendar time, stories, messages, etc, but I think that it's important to selectively introduce them, as well, for kids who need that isolation & repetition of a letter/number/color/shape of the day/week/month

The fours also get into bigger math concepts such as number writing, time to the hour (this is my incorporation, not the curriculum), coin recognition, simple addition & subtraction, symmetry and skip counting.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 18, 2008

Several states have a preschool curriclum, you can goggle to find them. Then, you can compare them to see what you like best, and make that the basis of your program.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 19, 2008

I would imagine that where ever you are, in whatever state you are in the students have learned the procedures and routines for the classroom, how things are managed (ie-where coats go, snack comes after-? and so on). If the program was not well designed they may have learned things that need to be unlearned that have served in the place of routines and procedures. They will have learned if their classroom was worksheet oriented or free play oriented and how the teachers wished they would behave and they and the other classmates plan to not do that. They will have seen the manner in which the prev teachers intended to offer ABC/123/color/shape and so on.

They are hopfully aware you will be coming and they are awaiting your arrival to see you and what you have to offer. They will be your new students, regardless of what they have learned or what they haven't, and you will be their new student (or test subject) as well. You will all learn how to relate to each other and in many ways that may mean that things that were learned before have to be undone.

YOu will have the chance to make yourself the designer of the classroom and course work.

Pull the state benchmarks, pull from the ideas of the other teachers in the school, pull from you -----but most of all listen to the children. They will tell you what they know, and most importantly when snack is!!

6. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Dec 19, 2008

LOL, Wa - it never ceases to amaze me how I can go to different schools, areas of the state, age groups, etc & it remains a universal question..."Mrs S. when is snack time?" My kids now know not to ask me though...I have to keep reminding them with "have I ever forgotten to feed you snack? No? Ok, then..right in the middle of a lesson isn't an appropriate time to ask me about snack, ok?"

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 19, 2008

8. cdowdell

cdowdell Companion

Dec 19, 2008

I will be the pre-schools only teacher....it's a small community owned preK.....I will be working with as closely as I can w/ the school district that is near...but I will only meet them one morning a month....so I'm kind of on my own in that area.....

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 19, 2008

Well, just have a good snack for the first day and see where it goes!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: