Leadership Style

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissH225, Jun 22, 2010.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jun 22, 2010

An application I am filling out asks what my leadership style is. I am having trouble putting it into words....

Obviously in the classroom I am in charge and can handle a classroom full of kids. I know how to take charge but I'm not a yeller, though I can be loud when I need to be but I try not to do that. I like to let my students be problem solvers and not automatically" lead them" to the right answer. A calm (but not necesarily silent) classroom is what I have.When adults are around I'm more quiet and introverted. I have no problem sharing ideas or asking questions but I'm more of a listener and then a do then the person up there doing the sharing/putting all the work together.

Does this make sense? I need help putting my thoughts together...thanks so much! It's been one of those days....

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2010

OK, fast, finish this sentence:

In the classroom, I'm a cross between ___ and ___.

My choices would be Annie Sullivan and Mrs. Cunningham (from Happy Days.) I'll drag you kicking and screaming to understanding, but I'll do it lovingly.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2010

Does that make any sense???

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jun 22, 2010

See, I would take leadership style to mean leadership with adults. Depending on the school, relationships between staff members is really important. I know that my team works together all the time. We meet at least twice a week to plan, go over data, come up with remediation ideas, etc. These relationships (including the team's leader, which is me this year) are very important in how things run. I would reference an example of previous leadership experiences.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2010

My leadership style is that a facilitator. The students engage in their learning and problem solve themselves. I'm there just to provide feedback to the students and give them suggestions when they get stuck.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2010

OH, not me.

There's a little Alexander Haig in me as well- "I AM IN CHARGE!!!"

eta: I say that in a very teacher-centered, "Let me tell you how it's done" type of way.

8. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jun 22, 2010

I'd say I'm a little of everything,lol.I am in charge and have that mentality in some situations but I do like my kids to problem solve. I do the teaching yes but the kids do the learning/discovering on their own/with others. I really don't know...haha! In terms of adults I had the most amazing two teams and admin this past school year that of course I voiced concerns/ideas/etc but I also listened a lot as a first year teacher....

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 22, 2010

LOL.... I was thinking (for me) Rambo and Happy the Dwarf from Snow White. :)