leaders for the week or jobs?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by kell447, Aug 7, 2008.

1. kell447

kell447 Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

Do you perfer one or the other...leaders meaning two children are lineleaders, pledge leader, lunch bin carrier, etc for the whole week....or each week have six differnt children select six different jobs?

3. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 7, 2008

I have 1 kid as leader for a day and they get to do everything for that one day. Calendar, line leader, lunch list, etc...

4. phillygirl

phillygirl Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I prefer weekly leaders/jobs. Each Monday, I move each student to the next job. I can keep up with it better. At my school the morning news program have a tendency to start late or go way over the time limit.
    Every student in my class has a job. 1 line leader, 2 door holders, 1 calendar, 2 computer helpers, etc...

5. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I assign jobs at the beginning of the week, and my students have those jobs all week. I have 10 classroom jobs (although I might add more this year), and the students rotate through jobs every other week or so. My jobs are:

Line Leader
    Caboose
    Lights
    Clean up
    Door Holder
    Substitute
    Teacher Helper
    Attendance
    Calendar Helper
    Lunch Helper

I like having different students for different jobs, because often we'll need several jobs going at once (Attendance, Lunch, Teacher Helper, etc.) and it is easier for each student to be responsible for their own job than for me to keep track of if we need extra helpers or extra jobs.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

I am hoping mine isn't too confusing! I have done this for years with older kids, and am now going to do it with younger kids.

I give everyone an end-of-the-day job. There is one for everyone. Then, I am also going to have TWO assistants of the day. They will lead the calendar together, take attendance together, be the line leader and caboose for the door, and so forth.

My jobs are:

wipe tables (as many as you need)
    stack chairs (as many as needed)
    feed pets
    pillows (straighten pillows in the library)
    art shelf
    book shelves
    floor (as many as you need)
    pencils (sharpens pencils, and the ONLY one who can do it!)
    and a few others I can't think of. Some jobs like floor, tables and chairs have more than one child doing them (up to four.)

7. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Each student has a monthly job in our classroom. I like changing jobs at the beginning of the month. They learn their job and remember to do it each day. When we learn classroom rules and responsibilities I teach them how to do each job. It was too hard for me to switch jobs daily or weekly. Several jobs have 2 people like floor sweeper, messengers, and computer dusters.

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

Last year I did leader for the day and they were the line leader and calendar leader that day. They were also in charge of greeting any later comers etc. This year I might try doing jobs but very few because I am not very good at management of them.

9. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Try changing them monthly and the students will manage them for you! They will see the floor needs sweeping or the sharpener needs cleaning and remind the person whose job it is. Once I switched to monthly and required everyone to have a job I stopped running it and the class took over the responsibility. They remind me the 1st of each month to switch jobs too. I also find they are better at the job for a longer period and remember to do it. My list of jobs are at school. I also model how to do each job correctly at the beg. of the year and repeat this if necessary!

10. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Each student in my classroom last year (beginning of the year) had a particular job for the week, and we rotated every Monday. It worked well but I had a hard time keeping up with who was doing what for the week. In the end of the year, I transitioned to a King and Queen that were my helpers for the day and did all classroom jobs. It worked really well. I loved it in fact and the kids seemed to enjoy it. Each day, there was a new King and Queen. This year I am doing a Jungle Theme in my classroom, so I've decided to call the helpers "Tarzan and Jane." It's corny but I like it :)

11. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Classroom Jobs

I have several jobs. At the beginning of the year, I write each students name on a clothes peg. I start by randomly clipping student pegs onto the chart. I rotate them down one job each Monday. When the kids return to school after the weekend, they look to see what their job for the week will be.

I have the following jobs:

Line Leader
    Line Ender
    Hallway Helper x 2 (makes sure coats, shoes are lined up in morning and after nutrition breaks)
    Clean up Crew x 3
    Helping Hands x 2 (deliver things to other teachers etc.)
    Fire Marshall (during fire alarms shuts off lights, reminds me to bring the class attendance list)
    Weather Watcher (for graphing the weather during calendar)
    Agenda Helper (spreads agendas on the floor before dismissal)
    Pencil Sharpener
    Chair Stacker x 2
    Peg Changer
    Mail Person (puts mail into mailboxes)

12. phillygirl

phillygirl Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I like the Fire Marshall job. I might have to use that one.