Lazy Team Members?!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MrsCK, Jul 27, 2011.

1. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Jul 27, 2011

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but an interview question stood out to me. I don't know if it's a normal question or not, but the way it was asked, it seemed like a situation that had come up before.

What would you do if a team member was lazy?

I said I'd try to talk to her first and get her to get it together, and if that didn't produce any changes, I'd come and mention it to the administration. Was this the wrong answer?! What do you think they were looking for with this particular question?

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 27, 2011

That is an odd question. It seems like maybe either it was a test to see how you would handle conflict or it is a situation that you are more than likely to encounter if you are given a position within this school.

I think that I would say, "I would try encouraging my team mate and giving him/her responsibilities that would bring out his/her leadership skills. If the team mate continued to have problems, I would sit down and talk with him/her about why there are "barriers" that seem to get in the way when he/she has responsibilities or tasks that he/she needs to complete. Then, I would suggest brainstorming with that person about how he/she could overcome those barriers. It would be a reflection piece that would hopefully help that person to see that there are some parts of his/her job that just cannot be ignored. I would then document progress or lack of progress that my team mate was making and place that documentation in the hands of administrators only as a last resort because I had exhausted all other avenues."