Layoffs at LAUSD

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teresaglass, Jan 7, 2009.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 7, 2009

Around 3000 teachers from LAUSD may be laid off in 2 weeks. These are temporary teachers mostly elementary, math and English. I think this is appalling.

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 7, 2009

If you are in your first or second year teaching you are considered non-permanent (or probationary). So these teachers aren't temporary, or at least they didn't intend to be temporary.:( This is the start of my third year so I just received permanent status. Thank goodness! But...many teachers will be displaced because they are increasing class size. Since I am at the bottom of the seniority list at my school I will most likely have to leave my school.:(

I agree, Teresa, it is appalling.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2009

I agree, but what choice do they have? There's no money to pay theim.

5. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 7, 2009

The California Teachers Association came up with a proposal for more financing. I e-mailed thew Governor and my state legislators about it. In the meantime I may sub for Teachers On Reserve Or Kelly if I get laid off.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 7, 2009

They need to lay off all the people who work at the local district mini-offices. The 20 story building downtown is enough. We don't need those mini-offices. There is so much waste going on throughout the whole district. Cutting teachers should be a last resort.

7. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 7, 2009

Does your state not have to have a balanced budget every year? Mine does, so our cuts won't be as bad. Plus our gov wants public ed to be the least hurt. I am so sorry!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2009

:hijack:

peggy-I heard that the whole state of Cali is broke, and that residents are getting an IOU on their tax returns.

Did I hear wrong?

*now back to the orginial thread* :haha:

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 7, 2009

It's amazing, this should have made national news, & I hear it on the forum. (Thank God for this place.)

I hate it for anyone who is effected, and even for the ones who are still remaining because that means their class sizes were just enlarged which can be a virtual nightmare.

Poor laid off teachers, poor kids, poor teachers!

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2009

Dallas ISD had a layoff of about 200 teachers, which doesn't compare to 3000...I know. It made national news though so I suspect that this will make news within a couple days.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 7, 2009

My news said possibly 4000 & they're non-tenured (probationary) teachers, so they've worked 2 or less yrs. I work (sub) for a neighboring county district.

I'm so glad I've begun the process of switching gears to get into speech pathology where they're desperate for speech pathologists. My district's been short of them for just about the last decade, maybe longer. Let's just hope districts are still desperate when I'm ready to be one! :D

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 7, 2009

My BF told me about that too. :unsure::mad:

My parents & I are going to file earlier than we ever have. Someone said that may make a difference.

13. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jan 7, 2009

DallasISD's RIF (layoff) was a JOKE! It actually involved approximately 415 teachers and another number of aides, etc. We lost 15 to the RIF, and although all were initially terminated, all have now found jobs in the district. There is most likely going to be a budget shortfall of $60 million dollars with almost no reserve to cover expenses. I've spoken with teachers at almost 18 campuses at a recent meeting and ALL of their RIF teachers had been rehired.
    All this did was disrupt the learning environment.

The fool at the top of DallasISD needs to be GONE. Not tomorrow, not today, but yesterday.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2009

WOW! I can't believe it! I agree with uclalum in that they DO need to cut stuff that they waste their money on. At my last school district, my P was so bad that the DO hired a private coach to train him. That coach was paid in the 6 digit category. Can't remember the exact figure.

My school district had a special meeting last night to discuss class size reduction. I'm wondering what they decided. I know that many are pushing to eliminate it. If so, then there is NO way I'll be able to have my own class next year. :( I'm bummed, but then it'll mean that I am truly meant for something else.

Poor teachers. I was telling my husband about how bad it was and he said that they always say it's bad, but it's really not. Wait till I tell him about this. He also didn't believe me when I said that districts are going to start eliminating small class sizes. I just can't believe the state that we're in....:mad:

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2009

This is the worst that I have ever seen it. Of course, I am just getting into the world of education. Has anyone else seen it so bad?? Will it get better soon? This is so depressing!

16. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2009

What a mess. The newspaper specifically said they will be firing math teachers! This is appalling. They just did a big initiative to hire new math teachers (including paying out hiring bonuses) and now they are going to fire them because it's easier to fire a newbie than a tenured teacher. Not that I want any teachers fired ... it's just that the students need math teachers. So, once again, the students are going to suffer because of waste higher up the food chain. It's hard to comprehend that a state so rich in resources and income sources is in complete financial ruin.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2009

Ok, I know I am preaching to the choir here, but can I just say how absurd all of this is?? NCLB wants highly qualified teachers, right? We have to go through all of these hoops just to be a teacher and then we have to make sure that our students meet state standards once we are teaching. In the mean time, we are stripped of resources, teachers, support (TA's, tutors, etc.), and are faced with over-crowded classrooms. And there are questions about why our education is going nowhere fast? Many of us will possibly be forced to find work in another field just to make ends meet because sadly our bills keep coming inspite of all of this turmoil, and fewer students will be compelled to go into this "desirable" career of teaching, so I really don't see how CA is truly putting education first. Ok, I get that when there isn't money there just isn't any money, but certainly there must have been smarter decisions for the state to have made to avoid our current issues, and why is it always education that has to be cut?????

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2009

Ok, that was me venting, and this is me now taking a deep breath. This is all coming from a girl who just isn't being called to sub so yes, yes I am a bit bitter tonight.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2009

Since everything is in such a mess and I prolly won't have a job next year and the government thinks it is okay to send out IOUs, then can I just send IOUs to everyone? :rolleyes:

20. smalltowngal

Jan 7, 2009

You could try! Just send a note!

21. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jan 7, 2009

Because I am not yet a teacher, every time I read one of these posts I have a little streak of panic. I worry that when I graduate there will be no prospects for jobs and that education will be even worse off than it is now. It's sad that people such as myself are having to question changing their majors because it seems that there is not a good job outlook. I know that I will be a fantastic teacher and would be a great addition to any school but I am really scared that I am facing a tough road ahead.

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2009

I don''t think anyone knows right now, future teach. I spent so much time and money and am looking to land a permanent job, but I don't know how that's going to work out. I need money.

23. tonyroberts09

tonyroberts09 New Member

Jan 8, 2009

I hate it for anyone who is effected, and even for the ones who are still remaining because that means their class sizes were just enlarged which can be a virtual nightmare.

24. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 8, 2009

:eek:
    OMG, are you serious? As a second year teacher, that's really scary. I had no idea that I'm considered non-permanent.

I thought us with education jobs were safe in this unstable economy

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2009

No, probationary teachers are not safe. You are not "safe" until you are tenured. Of course, most schools also go by your hire date, so if others were hired after you, then they would be first to go. At least that's how it seems to be around here.

26. smalltowngal

Jan 8, 2009

I'm glad that TX isn't facing this right now. There is no tenure in our state.

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2009

I didn't realize that, smalltown. The whole tenure thing is a hot topic. Some people think we should do away with it.

28. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 8, 2009

In our district you don't get tenure until after 3 years of teaching. I have 12 years at my school so I feel somewhat safe. They usually go by seniority but they can staff according to school needs. That is how a previous p surplused teachers who had been at our school longer. As a tenured teacher, I am thankful for it!

29. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2009

I can definitely see the benefits to having tenure. And you can fire tenured teachers, it just takes a lot to do it. Last year one of the middle school principals had a tenured teacher fired. That teacher was apparently verbally abusive to the kids and who knows what else. So, as long as the principal is willing to go through the motions, bad teachers who are tenured can be let go.

30. smalltowngal

Jan 8, 2009

The only thing about tenure is that it takes ALOT to get rid of tenured teachers, even if they really need to go. The other thing is that once tenured, some teachers tend to lax on their teaching.

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2009

Very true smalltown!

32. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 8, 2009

But most don't slack. I know all the teachers at our school want their children to succeed and work very hard at their jobs. After being in the trenches and working hard all these years, veteran teachers should get some reward for their dedication and hard work. Most of the new teachers at our school haven't made it past 5 years. They leave the professional for various reasons. If teachers aren't good, there are steps to get rid of them in our district.

33. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jan 8, 2009

Why not??? It's just like "the great bailouts of '08" right? Everyone deserves an IOU...

As far as teaching in TX goes, we not only don't have tenure, we don't have teacher unions either.

And DallasTeacher: I said months ago that Hinojosa needs to be be gone...what a joke/embarrassment to teaching that man is. (He is the Superintendent of Dallas Schools, for those of you not in the "know")

34. smalltowngal

Jan 8, 2009

peggy-I know that most tenured teachers are great teachers (or else they wouldn't be tenured) but there are some bad apples.

35. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 8, 2009

I thought every state had teacher unions. Has Texas ever had unions? Mine negociates our salary and benefits and helps if we have issues with adminisration or the rules aren't being followed. They make sure the ps do what they are suppose to. They also give training to new teachers so they are not so alone out there and go over pitfalls that will get you fired.

36. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jan 8, 2009

I don't know if they ever had unions (someone else might know), but we are encouraged to join federations.

We aren't a union state.

37. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 8, 2009

Nope. You're not permanent until your third year in LAUSD.

38. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 8, 2009

So, if enrollment declines or they need to make cuts, which teacher is let go?

Is tenure a good thing or a bad thing?

I just read an article on the utla website (our union) and it said that even permanent teachers can get pink slipped in March. If this is true, then what is the point of tenure if you have no job security?

39. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2009

Isn't this referred to as RIF?

40. smalltowngal

Jan 8, 2009

If they have to get rid of teachers, they go by the last person hired.

Tenure is good for teachers' job security. However, for those non-effective teachers looking at tenure as just a way to slack off, then its bad. I know those teachers are few and far between, and that most teachers that get tenure are great teachers and deserve that security.

I'm sure for those tenured teachers that might get RIF'd come March, the district will place them where they can.

41. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 8, 2009

Yes