laying down the law on the first day

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by minnie, Jul 27, 2008.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

I was wondering...on the first day of school, do you use the your behavior chart, consequences, etc. if one of you students has a rough first day of school. I mean, does the student have a timeout, lose recess or whatever consequence you have. I am wondering because I really want my students to know their boundaries and I want to set the stage for the rest of the year. At the same time, its kindergarten and its the first day and I don't know if any of you have a "relaxed" first day when it comes to behavior and mean business on the second day. I mean, if one of my students is WAY out of line, I will certainly do what is necessary, but if its other things such as interupting, not sharing, not following directions...how do you handle it on the first day?:confused:

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 27, 2008

I teach older elementary, so I may be in a different situation, but I follow through on consequences from day one. Students have to know you mean what you say. Once we have discussed the rules and consequences, it's like any other day. Of course, I always start with the least consequence, like proximity, eye contact, changing seats, etc.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

Come on now, this is kindergarten. The kids won't know the boundaries until they exprience them over and over. For many of them, this will be their first school experience. You should make it as pleasant experience for them as possible. Some of them are going to be scared just being there. Expect interrupting, not sharing, not following directioins, etc. They don't know any better. It is your job to educate them about all this. IMHO this kind of enculturation is the main purpose of kindergarten.

5. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 28, 2008

Although the kids may be young and without much school experience they all show up with Ph.Ds in adult manipulation.

Taking turns (interrupting), sharing, following directions are part of rules and routines. Rules and routines need to be taught as carefully as any structured lesson. Once taught teacher has to be prepared to terminate academic instruction at any time and launch into reteaching R&Rs. Assume math -- if a student was having difficulty (doing it wrong) would anyone say, "Billy, that's not the way we do math. Please remember how to do it right." Of course not. We would reteach. Consider reteaching each and every time a student breaks a rule or routine until the class gets it right versus singling out an individual student with reprimand.

6. Miss Nelson

Miss Nelson Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

I agree that kindergarten is to learn the rules etc... If any behavior is dangerous such as hitting, there should be a consequence even on the first day. You have to set the tone from day one.

Expectations have to be modeled and practiced many times.
    I spend the first six weeks of school modeling the rules and consequences.

I do send home a daily behavior chart from day one ( school policy) and if a child has had a rough day I always write a positive such as " billy had a great morning" then add the bump in the road " during recess he did hit another child", then the good " he was able to turn his behavior around and ended his day on a good note". I find that if you do this from day one, parents will know what you expect and look for the daily chart.
    I do allow a little wiggle room the first week, because although most have been in the school for a year ( I teach second year kindergarten), there is always new students and children forget over the summer.

I would take some time during circle time each day to go over the rules and talk about consequences, but also make sure they understand that one bad choice does not ruin a whole day and any behavior can be turned around. Behavior management in kindergarten is challenging, with lots of love and lots of patience it works. Remember, when things are not going great, no child wakes up and says " I think I will be bad today". They are feeling their way through the world and we have to show them the kindest and safest way to experience it.

7. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2008

Just because we've talked about and modeled consequences, I usually don't go into it too much the first day...usually on day one they don't need it...most of them are so scared and are trying to make a good impression that they are following directions! If they are doing something that they are not supposed to do, I usually will use it as a teach-able moment and we talk about why this would be a good/bad decision and ask them to "make a better choice"...it usually works!

8. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

Thank you all so much!:)

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

When I taught kindergarten we would talk about rules and routines. We'd practice them. I try and make my consequences a natural result of their actions, so yes, there is a consequence for their action, even on the 1st day.

I wouldn't take recess away, but maybe a short time out. You don't want the child to have a negative image of school, but you do want to let the kids know that there are consequences to their actions.

I remember one year, it was the first week of school, a little boy dropped his jello on the floor as he was putting it in the garbage can. I asked him what we should do. His response to me was "call my mom." When I asked him why "because I was bad." What an eye opener! I told him that when we spill something we clean it up. That was his consequence. He's now going into 6th grade & I still remember his response!

10. steakroom

steakroom Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

DAY ONE-ull be glad that u started it that early for the rest of the year.

11. KAM

KAM Rookie

Sep 18, 2008

In my high school, expectations are laid out on day one and enforced from that point on. Although I am new to my school, this is what I have seen so far.