Layered Curriculum

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by LTFY17, Jun 29, 2012.

1. LTFY17

LTFY17 Rookie

Jun 29, 2012

Hello,
    I was just wondering if anyone has tried a layered curriculum in their classroom? I have been doing some research on the topic and I think that it looks very productive in giving students a variety of ways to learn material and to reach all types of learners. Although, it does look somewhat time consuming to create and how does one teacher demonstrate for so many different potential projects?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2012

I learned about it (here :) )a few days ago. Now I am in the middle of making my first math unit. Unfortunately, my computer died yesterday and I had to go buy a new one. I am going to try to save all the work I did the last couple of days :)ohmy:) because I hadn't saved that work to the cloud yet!

4. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jun 29, 2012

I tried it before. It has a lot of potential. You need to make sure the kids know that it is NOT voluntary that they try only the C level. Everyone MUST attempt each level. If not you will find you have a Slackerpalooza going on.

5. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 29, 2012

I'm a bit new to the topic. What is layered curriculum?

6. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 29, 2012

I just looked it up and I love it. It's similar to differentiated learning activities such as the menu, tic tac, toe, etc.

Do you believe they can be mixed and simply add the A, B, or C? This should also help with parent teacher conferences.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2012

Does someone have a link on this? I have never heard of it before, but if it differentiated learning, then I am all for it. I would love to learn more about it.

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jun 30, 2012

9. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for the thread. I haven't heard of this before either.
    Thanks for the link too. I've done something similar, but not as extensive and only for a couple of subjects.
    Thanks most of all for the new vocab word. Love it! :D

10. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jun 30, 2012

WOW! I just read some of the articles on this website, but I'm having a hard time understanding it; for example, let's say I ask students to choose 3 options from level C, 2 from B, and 1 from A. What happens if the student only does the C and B assignments? Does he automatically receive a B? Also, do you grade each assignment for quality, also, or just completion? How would you put this in your gradebook? Sorry, I'm dense today and this is not sinking in...

11. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 30, 2012

My understanding is that everyone HAS to do C. It normally includes copying class notes, vocabulary, etc. B and A become optional depending what grade students want to accomplish. In my case I would probably have to eventually make them move up if I see that they don't try to move up. We all have those students that need more motivation than others.

12. stickelet

stickelet New Member

Jul 1, 2012

My understanding is that you slowly add new, additional projects to each level so you are not taking too much time explaining projects. Once the students have an idea of how it works, and that the same format is followed for each learning opportunity, it will limit confusion about how the layered curriculum works.