LAUSD Sub. Question

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mrsub, Aug 28, 2015.

1. mrsub

mrsub New Member

Aug 28, 2015

Hi Everyone!!!

I am so glad i found this online resource. Hopefully, you can help me answer some questions about lausd.

I am a recent graduate and am interested in being a substitute teacher for LAUSD.

I am going to take the CBEST in 2 - 3 weeks.
    I do not have a credential but I did read that LAUSD hires people without them sometimes.

So my plan is:
    Take the CBEST
    Apply to LAUSD, Burbank and Compton Unified.
    Hopefully, teach 3 to 4 days a week.

Hopefully, I am not sounding naive about my plan, so I would like to know how realistic it is to take the CBEST, get hired and work as a sub. How long should I wait to actually work on the job?

thank you so much!

-G

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 28, 2015

If you haven't done so, check the district Web sites to see whether they do indeed accept substitute teachers who neither have nor are in the process of getting a credential. Districts can and do differ on this. The county office of education might also have useful advice for you.

4. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Aug 31, 2015

Once you take CBEST, you should be filing paperwork to get your 30 day emergency sub permit :)

5. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Sep 10, 2015

I'm not sure about those particular districts, but I subbed in Southern CA for several years. A larger district like LAUSD will probably have open sub jobs every day if you're not choosy about schools and/or grades.

It can be difficult to get started. I know that my current district had a sub shortage last year, so our support teachers were pulled to cover pretty often. If the districts you mention are in a similar situation, it may be easy to work most days of the week. If not, you will have to work to get known and called back. The best advice I can tell you is to do a good job. A good reputation can build you up a clientele.

- Leave detailed notes about the day. If I was in elementary classrooms and the teachers didn't leave seating charts, I'd make my own either before class or during recess. I'd draw up a rough chart, then either do it with the student's help first thing or look at the work on or in desks to pull names. Kids are much more likely to behave if they think you know who they are and can pass on information. Leave a few names of kids who were great, as well as the ones who were naughty.
    -Unless you run out of work big time, stick to only what is left for you and don't go any further. I don't know how many times I've heard complaining about subs moving on to the next lesson without being told to do so. It seems like it will be helpful, but some teachers take great offense to that.
    -Have business cards made up with your contact info and leave them behind.

Good luck!

6. Apr 13, 2016

It's been about 8 months since this post, how's subbing for LAUSD going?

I started subbing for LAUSD September 2015 after leaving my ridiculous corporate job. I have to say my experience has been pretty eye opening.