LAUSD Intern Program Hiring Freeze

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Art/Special Ed, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Art/Special Ed

Art/Special Ed Rookie

Jan 24, 2009

I have a B.A. in art ed and I was really interested in applying for the Special Ed. Intern Program at LAUSD, which would allow me to work while I earn my credential. I'm taking the CBEST this Feb. and will sign up for the CSET soon but when I called for more information on the program I was told that there was a hiring freeze on special ed interns. I keep checking the website and they haven't updated it. Just when will they unfreeze!!!!? :help:

"HIRING FREEZE : As a result of the current fiscal crisis, the District has discontinued the issuance of certificated contracts (excluding Speech & Language Pathologists). This freeze includes substitute teaching employment.

In addition, we have limited our recruitment efforts for the 2009-10 school year to fully-credentialed/licensed teachers in the critical shortage areas of science, special education, and speech & language pathology.

Although we are not currently hiring teachers, we encourage credentialed/licensed teachers to complete the online application. Applications will be reviewed when hiring resumes.

Please check this page for hiring freeze updates.
    (last updated: 01/09/09)" -teachinla

3. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jan 25, 2009

They are waiting for the state to pass a budget and see how much money they will be getting (or not getting). I have my ms credential already and was interesting in their CENTSE program but looks like that is being effected as well. I am now getting my single subject in science.

4. Scrappy

Scrappy Rookie

Jan 25, 2009

I was also hoping to do the Intern program this year. I have already taken the CBEST and CSET English tests.

I want to teach Middle school, and taught that age in a very good private school for four years in the past. I don't have much science background, though. I am 52, and really want to return to teaching, but am lucky in that I have a good job right now (HR manager). Although it would be sad to wait, I can stay another year in hopes that they have the program NEXT year. I am starting prep for CSET Science, since it looks like that is the area they will have openings in, if they do the program at all. I am taking a geology class this spring and hope to follow it up with a Biology class.

This waiting and worrying is really difficult!

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

I'm in the same boat: passed CSET English and Multiple Subjects and wanting to intern in Special Ed - any grade K-12. I wonder if they'll hold the 240 hour induction this summer? I actually love subbing so I'd be willing to keep it up, but I am anxious to start working full time. Unfortunately, I'm not able to prepare for the science CSET - I just don't have the time it would take - and, frankly, I don't think I'd be an effective science teacher.
    I'm really bummed out about this. I've worked so hard to prepare for the District Intern program - and I can't afford to go to a university credentialing program. My hopes and dreams are on the verge of being shattered.

6. Art/Special Ed

Art/Special Ed Rookie

Jan 25, 2009

My life seems to be on hold along with the LAUSD hiring. I'm not sure what steps to take. University is very expensive and I was hoping this program would be the answer to my financial dreams.
    I have just begun trying to get into a credentialing program. I am barely taking the CBEST. I'm wondering what to do in the mean time. You mentioned you love subbing. How did you first get into sub work? Maybe that would be something I could do while the state is figuring out just how important the education system is and how much of the state budget it deserves.

7. jetty

jetty Rookie

Jan 25, 2009

I will be taking the CSET in Science in March. There do seem to be a lot of budget cuts in education in the districts in our area. Yet recruiters for credential programs assure applicants that there will be jobs in everything except Social Science (at least in Northern California). I really want to teach Science, so this will hopefully work out for me after doing the hard work of a credential program.

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

Science does seem to be the highest need area. Which branch of science will be your specialty?

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

As soon as you pass the CBEST you will be qualified to sub in some districts in CA. Other districts require a credential.
    The larger the district - the more likely they'll use non-credentialed subs. LAUSD applies for you to get an emergency sub permit after you've complete their 40 hour induction - although they've recently posted a hiring freeze for subs.

10. Art/Special Ed

Art/Special Ed Rookie

Jan 26, 2009

Seems I have bad luck on Interning and Subbing. :(

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2009

No offense, but I think someone's lying to you...

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2009

I think Tami is right.

I don't live in CA. But even here in NY, I've seen Governor Schwartzeneger (whose name I SHOULD be able to spell correctly, but probably haven't) talking about the budget crunch in CA. That's aside from the general forecast of an economic slide predicted to last at least another year.

The budget cuts that districts have seen this far are probably the tip of the iceberg.

Districts will be facing a loss of revenue from the states-- probably even moreso in CA, given the particulars of your budget woes.

That money must be made up somewhere if we're not to see service cuts.

Does anyone really expect the taxpayers to pick up the slack?? Those same taxpayers who are praying every single night that THEIR jobs aren't the next to go???

My crystal ball says that there will be cuts to educational staffing. It's the biggest expense in any budget, and from an administrative standpoint, the easiest to make up-- just make classes a bit larger. (NOTE: I did not say it was educationally sound. But it can be done, and it will save that bottom line.)

I think that anyone who forecasts that "there will be jobs" in ANY sector, ANYWHERE in this country, is just not paying attention.

And these are RECRUITERS talking jetty... they have a LOT to gain by getting people into those programs!!!

Hedge your bets. If science is your strongpoint, be sure you're qualified to teach Chemistry &/or Physics. THOSE are the high need areas.

13. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 26, 2009

That is why I am taking the Chemistry CSET in May. I already have the credentials for Biology and Earth Science plus English and Special Ed.

14. jetty

jetty Rookie

Jan 26, 2009

TamiJ and Aliceacc,

Thanks for the honest feedback! I take everything a recruiter says with a grain of salt, though I must admit that I feel so excited about teaching after recruitment events. I really am not sure what will happen in CA in the next year, especially as it pertains to education. I searched EDJoin for jobs requiring the Bio/Earth Sciences SS credential and not a lot came up. However, this is mid-year and I'm not sure I should expect a lot.

15. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2009

I think the job situation is generally going to be tight in most of California. School district budgets will be tight because of the State budget crisis. Districts are likely to respond at least in part by increasing class sizes and/or eliminating electives. Displaced teachers will have priority over new hires for the positions that become available because of the normal things like retirements, moves, etc.

Districts will be very cautious about hiring they do have to do considering that their budgets have to be set months before the State legislature will get their budget to the governor. I suspect that most openings that become available won't be listed until just before school starts or some time after when the schools have identified their actual staffing needs and know how much money is available.

I guess it is possible that the situation along the Central Coast could be better depending on demographics. Maybe lots of teachers will be retiring and lots of students will be moving in. I have no reason to belive so, though.

Of the sciences, I think biology and earth science are the subjects that will most likely get you in the door. Those are the sciences most students take. Chemistry and physics positions are probably harder for a district to fill, but far fewer students take chemistry and physics than take biology and earth science. Of course, having chemistry and physics in addition will make you that more hireable.

16. jetty

jetty Rookie

Jan 27, 2009

Hopefully teachers' associations and parents will put pressure on the right entities to ensure the present student/teacher ratios. CA usually bounces back from economic woes before any other state in the union. When it will bounce back is an open question-I wonder what the job market will look like in 2 years here in Northern CA.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2009

But you can't get blood from a stone. If the money isn't there, all the pressure in the world won't help.

And as to those hoping to retire: keep you eye on what's been happening to retirement funds in the last year. Most people have lost a substantial part of their retirement.

My plastic surgeon mentioned a while ago that he had planned to retire in 2 or 3 years. Not any more-- a lot of his money has simply disappeared.

18. Art/Special Ed

Art/Special Ed Rookie

Jan 30, 2009

Special Ed Update

I just called and they have unfrozen the Special Ed Internship positions at least. I'm not sure for how long or if anything else opened up for hiring but there is some relief for me.

19. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2009

Thank you for posting this news. I'm so happy!

20. jetty

jetty Rookie

Jan 30, 2009

Malcom, Thanks for the overview regarding single subject science positions, and possibilities, in California. The situation does seem to vary by district to some degree.