LAUSD inactive status

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by vsimpkins, Jan 31, 2014.

1. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jan 31, 2014

I have subbed for LAUSD and 3 other school districts. I recently was discontinued of service with 1 district (not LAUSD), as I worked for them as a teacher for 6 years and resigned for family personal business, but continued to sub for them for 10 years. This school district has a policy to have teachers rate their subs. Out of the 10 years, I received 4 unsatisfactory ratings. They are not for doing anything to students, but their judgement on what they think of the sub. Most of these ratings are from new teachers and you have to live with what they say and it will not be reversed.
    I applied for a internship for special ed with LAUSD. I went to the district office and had an interview, completed the writing assessment and taught lesson. I had all documents copies, including my professional clear credential and my CLAD. I was given 3 forms to give to LAUSD principal, administrator with one school district and another (the one that discontinued my service). Well that district gave some factual facts (I don't know what) to LAUSD and not LAUSD put me on inactive sub status. I don't know what to do???? NEED HELP!!!! Education is ruining me and it's not fair.:help::help::help:

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2014

Did they accept you into the intern program? You can't be an intern and a sub. Is it possible that they just changed your status to intern?

4. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jan 31, 2014

Nope! They said that the information they received for that school district (discontinued me) gave some factual information. But I don't know what.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2014

Wow. Sorry to hear that. It sounds like it might be time to move on to another field or another location. If LA Unified will not hire you, being the largest district in the area, then you are quite limited.

6. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jan 31, 2014

I just want to know what are the facts that the school district gave, aren't they suppose to just verify that I did work there.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 31, 2014

Can you contact the former district and find out?

8. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jan 31, 2014

I could, but will they tell me is the facts that they gave

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2014

I would assume that whatever information was shared is part of your personnel file, which should be available to you on request.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2014

On this note, since your personnel file is confidential, you are not going to get anywhere with phone calls. You are going to have to go to the district offices in person, with proper ID. In your shoes, I would take the time to go do this to see what comments are in your file.

11. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Feb 5, 2014

Thank you and I will make an appointment to see what is in my personnel file. Will keep you posted what was said.:thumb::confused:

12. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Feb 23, 2014

Ok Here is the update....
    I went to the district office and signed a paper to look at my confidential personnel file. I have a stack of about 2 inches of positive ratings and of course the 3 unsatisfactory. What I also noticed is that the letter sent to LAUSD was not there. I asked about it and was told to send a formal request to the director of personnel. I have now sent a letter and also requested all factual information that was used in preparation of the document.

Any comments????

13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 9, 2014

WHO CARES about LAUSD? Work for a district that treats employees like individuals, rather than numbers or pieces of paper? I live in a upper/middle-class area where there are a handful of districts. On one side of me, there is a district who requires all sorts of bureacratic nonsense when it comes to the hiring process: forms, interviews, sample lessons, the whole nine... In the other district, the P likes you? She/he just calls you to talk. If they think it is a good fit, you fill out the basic paperwork, and you're basically in.

Moral: If they are going to black-ball you over some inconsequential nonsense, that's their loss. Now as I say that, you have to be honest with yourself in terms of those negative reviews you've gotten. Do they have merit? But in the end, just go to other districts. They are PLENTY in LA County.

14. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 9, 2014

Thanks John!
    I just want to know what they wrote about me. I went to the district that wrote something about me to look at my personnel file and I had over 2 inches of wonderful ratings and 3 unsatisfactory, but the document that was sent to LAUSD was missing and I asked to see it and was told to write a formal to request to see it and received a reply that this is not shared with applicants. My character is hurt and I called CTA and waiting to hear what my next step is. I removed the districts on my resume as I don 't know what they are saying to employers. It is so sad that I have 10 years and can't put this time on my resume

15. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 9, 2014

Well I went to see my personnel file and I had 2 inches of paper with positive ratings from teachers and then the 3 unsatisfactory. Also the form that they sent to LAUSD was missing and I asked about it and they told me to write a formal letter requesting to see it. I followed through on that and I rec'd a letter back that confidential information on applicants is not shared. So I made a call to CTA office where I live and I am waiting to hear what my next step is.

16. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 13, 2014

I spoke to a CTA rep near where I live and he said that that school district is not teacher friendly to their teachers and subs. I made an appt with the director of personnel to discuss with her whatever she wrote to LAUSD has created problems for my livelihood
    And want to make sure if future employers call her district that nothing negative should be discussed and to verify that I worked as a teacher and sub. The union rep said that this director is paranoid and enjoys ruining people