Lauren Myracle...anyone read her stuff?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by KDS, Jul 10, 2007.

1. KDS

KDS Companion

Jul 10, 2007

I have seen her books: ttfn, ttyl, l8r g8r...and they have peaked my interest...they are all JUST insant messages from 3 bff's....ANYWAY, i read the first (ttyl) yesterday and thought it was very interesting and fun...but had some kinda racy stuff...well...HS stuff...but i want to know if schools/parents are going to object etc...i am working on an idea for an event to promote her book(s)...so any help would be GREAT!!!:p :thanks:

http://laurenmyracle.com/

3. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

I saw her books and thought they were clever. What an ingenius approach to storytelling. And those who use IM (including our students) get it! It is important in showing the diversity of human communication and the importance of vocabulary--if you don't know what lol, jk, g2g, pos, how r u, rotfl, etc. are, you won't know what's happening (the there's l33t, but I don't understand that "language").

As for the content--I haven't read it, but it discusses relationships (and maybe sex?) right? As well as any other high school situations (drugs perhaps?). I would check with your supervisor, department chair, or literarcy coach (depending on your situation). I know some books that our literary coach picked up for literarcy circles include Whale Talk by Crutcher, and that includes "foul" language that may be inappropriate--however, the school did purchase those books.

If you can use them, I'd say go for it! Sorry I can't offer much more help! Keep us posted!

4. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

I thought the format was clever; however, I would be wary of including it in my classroom because of the suggestive relationship between one of the girls and her male english teacher. If your school READS it and approves, then it should be okay. Sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry.

5. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

Welcome to the 'boards, Iowa Teacher!

6. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

Thanks! I'm just about to start my first year teaching, so any advice is definitely welcome :)

7. KDS

KDS Companion

Jul 13, 2007

i like the books! LOVE the format...just wanted to hear from teachers before i set out to do anything with the books

8. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I think that those books could definitely grab students' attention, just make sure they're okay with the school and have fun!