Laundry

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Mar 15, 2006.

1. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2006

WOW...sorry about your stuff but it sounds like you have a powerful machine!

2. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2006

It is. It's fast and most times the cycles end evenly, plus you can wash giant loads just like they advertise. The drawback is, it's as harsh as a commercial machine, so it tears our skivvies up, even on 'delicate'.

3. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2006

OH NOOOO!!!! What do you do about that?

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2006

My favorite chore is laundry, but I hate putting it away, just like Hanvan~~~ Becky, a machine that tears up your underwear??? My God!

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2006

I don't need a machine for that................. I have a gross dog who likes to pull underwear out of the hamper(yes, the same one who drinks out of the unflushed toilet! ICK)................and tears them up!:eek: Why on earth do I keep such a gross beast in my house????

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 18, 2006

Hahahaha you guys are sooo funny. Dog laundry, OMG. Dogs are pretty gross creatures. Good thing they love us so much.

I started making my kids do their own laundry when they were about 16. Occasionally I'd help them out. Now, my daughter got smart and makes her boyfriend do hers. My son just lets it all pile up in his room. I don't go in there for my own protection.

I love washing but hate putting away, too. I like the folding part, though. I can't wear anything twice in Florida, except maybe my at-home slouchy clothes. Since I don't wear too many sweaters, lots of stuff needs ironing. Ugh. I soften the chore by doing it in front of the TV and lower the board so I can sit. Plus, I'm 'mature' and can wear cotton knit pants most of the time. Easy and no ironing.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 18, 2006

Who would think an 18 year old girl could produce such a smell; yesterday my daughter unloaded her track bag in the laundry room and I almost passed out. She is SUPPOSED to put her running clothes in the wash every day, but you can guess how well that works. I had to light 2 scented candles!!
    ABall - get a new dryer; it will be well worth the money for all the time you will save.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2006

Oh, the worst track bag smell- I thought I had taken everything out one year after the season was over, but I didn't know that my teammate's mom had stuck a banana in a side pocket for me! eeewwwwww!!!

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 18, 2006

I had a dog that used to do that. One time during the summer she got a hold of my bathing suit bottom and chewed it apart. I didn't realize it until i went to go swimming one day. Needless to say I needed to buy a new bathing suit! What a pain! haha

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2006

Aren't we lucky to have washing machines??? What if we had to live like way back when with the wash boards...can you imagine? I don't have a dog, but I have cat bedding. They have their own fuzzy blankets and the most spoiled one has an old fuzzy robe of mine that HAS to stay at the bottom of our bed at all times. He thinks it's his "mama" and he kneads it and goes off into lala land! They have baskets on the enclosed porch for sleeping in the sun, so I have to wash those blankets...and they have baskets in the basement spare bedroom so I have to wash THOSE blankets...and of course they have blankets in the bedroom windows...now you know who rules the roost! But I am a fanatic about washing their stuff and forever vacuuming( I hate that job more than ANY)vacuuming...oh and cleaning their pottys every day(scooping) and once a week totally washing their pans(they have 3)...no wonder I love sitting and reading the forum at night..the only relaxation I ever get!!!

11. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2006

The machine wears out the underwear more quickly because of how forcefully it spins. They just don't last long at all. Then again, maybe Just My Size is skimping on quality! They resized everything, so maybe they're making less than quality duds as well, so we have to keep replacing them.

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2006

The up side here is I can get those extra nice Downy fabric softeners in the smallest bottle, pour it into a gallon jug and fill with water to the top. When it's half gone I refill to the top and it's still as good as the full strength product. I bought fabric softener one time in '05 and haven't since.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2006

I don't use any fabric softener ever...a lot of people are allergic to it and pets are as well, thus the itching...If I want my clothes softer, I add a bit of baking soda to the wash.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 18, 2006

A little white vinegar added to the wash preserves colors and softens the water. If you use bleach, adding a little vinegar will boost its whitening power.

15. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Mar 18, 2006

I thought it was just me! I don't even want to open his door - you have to kick a path to his bed. Makes me crazy! :eek:

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2006

This is specifically stuff I got for my dog, no one else uses them: One (all fabric) dog bed, 2 crate cushions, several blankets, a few towels, dog sweater & a few soft dog toys. I'll occasionally wash the nylon/cloth collars & leashes too.

17. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Mar 19, 2006

What kind of dog? My aunt has a guide dog-Lab Retreiver, and she eats EVERYTHING.

In our house, everyone is responsible for making sure the hampers in the laundry room are never full, and the baskets for clean laundry are always empty. We each have our own method of taking care of that! The oldest of my siblings just doesn't contribute to the laundry-he takes his clothes directly to the wash, dry, fold laundromat. I fold as things come out of the dryer...we've been using this method of "laundry control" since my youngest sister was around 8 years old (she's twelve now) and it always works...except for when it doesn't!:D

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 19, 2006

kabd - I don't even mind the clothes so much as the dishes with gross food stuck to them. I've run out of large spoons in the kitchen. I know they're somewhere in his room. He locks his door with a key from the outside when he's not home so I can't go in there.

19. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2006

yikes, ya'lls sons sound like my boyfriend! he just piles his clothes every where in his room and his mom's dishes are in stacks here and there. and i mean big stacks!

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2006

I would be taking the door off it's hinges. I told my kids that if they didn't keep their rooms at least halfway decent, I would be doing it for them...and I love to throw things away. It may be their room, but it's still my house and I don't want a dump within my walls.

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2006

I have an Italian Greyhound. There he is in my avatar!:eek: :D

22. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2006

ahhhh...kinder thats so funny..(ur avatar)

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 20, 2006

Hahaha, kinder!

Grammy, I have done that in the past. When he was young on several occasions I 'cleaned out' his room and toted everything to Goodwill (including hundreds of $ worth of Legos). I also evicted him from the house and didn't let him back for a year once. At this point, I'm just ignoring it as long as he doesn't do anything worse. He's had a lot of problems his whole life. He is now doing better than he has in the past, so I'm hanging in there.

24. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Mar 20, 2006

I've been doing laundry since my mom was diagnosed with Lyme's disease when I was seven. And, smart me, grew up and moved in with a boy whose mother did his laundry until three months after I moved in... ugh. She had a key and would sneak in when I was in class, hijack our laundry... I swear that woman is insane. Why would you do your twenty year old son's laundry? What's worse is that it's taken me almost a full two years to teach him that laundry doesn't do itself, and how to operate a freaking washing machine.

I think next year we'll tackle loading the dishwasher. For now, I make him give me two dollars every time I wash the dishes. lol.

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2006

Lainie, you are hilarious! I secretly love to do laundry and if my grown sons lived next door, I would probably do the same thing! Don't ask me why...but some mothers are nuts...heehhahaha.
    Upsdaisy, I totally understand what you are saying. When our kids have problems, we can over look the small stuff(like a messy room)... I used to run out of plates and forks, too when the boys were at home...and would find them under the bed! We do need to give them their "space" and for some, their room is all they have.

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2006

By the way, I am secretly considering renting a dumpster and cleaning out my husband's garage! hahahahaha....grounds for divorce?!!!???

27. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 20, 2006

If he's like my family he wouldn't notice for a while and it would be way too late. Then maybe you could have the excuse--"But Honey I did it a year ago. Why didn't you say something back then?...What's that? You didn't notice until now? Oh it must not be that necessary then...." I'm sure you can get away with it.:D

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2006

Hahaha...oh yea I know I can get away with it because he can never find anything anyway!

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 20, 2006

Grammy and Lainie, you are both hilarious. I remember when I first met my husband. He had been recently divorced and had lived in a townhouse for the previous 3 months. When I asked where his vacuum cleaner was, he said the place 'hadn't needed it yet'. I was appalled. He never did get any better about that.

30. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2006

My bf became a lot more obsessive about cleaning when he got his apartment. Now he complains about how messy I am whenever I visit- I can't convince him it's just because there's no where to put my stuff- other than my suitcases on the bedroom floor, which drives him nuts.

31. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2006

my bf is the same way daisy...he didnt have any cleaning supplies in the house ....i came in one day and clened his entire appt. it took me all day! There was so much dust!!! ewww!!! He does do his own laundry though , I am not his mother..lol...but he is forever messing something up...he put bleach in with his colored colthes ..ya ..not pretty..or when he put a red sock in with his whites ...LOL..he had all pink dress shirts the guys at work never let him forget that one, he had to go in almost everyday with something pink on!!!

32. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 22, 2006

I just moved into my own apartment and the basement is so creepy I refuse to do laundry down there...plus is costs $$ I don't have and you can only use one machine at a time even though there are two! My bf got upset when I told him I would just take it to my mom's (40 minutes away), but then the next week he offered to have me bring it to his apt and do it together. I guess he can't laugh at me anymore cuz he did my laundry, at least I was planning to do it myself before!! Oh well, I have decided it isn't very necesary to do often, I have done 2 loads since I moved in here a month ago...let's just say I am glad I have as many socks and underwear as I do, but just don't ask how many times I've used my towels.

33. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 22, 2006

My boyfriend doesn't do his own laundry either. When he lived at his mother's he was responsible for doing his own laundry and I just assumed he did it. It wasn't until later that I found out he was shoving all of his dirty clothes in his closet until he ran out of clean underwear and then he'd do a load or two. Since he moved in with me 3 years ago he's maybe done 2 loads without me begging him to. I've tried going on strike and not doing it for him, but then I just cave because I can't stand all the dirty clothes everywhere!

34. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 23, 2006

I actually like doing laundry...but my room is messy with clothes all over. I take something out and don't put it away.

35. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Mar 23, 2006

I will like doing laundry when a) I don't have to walk down a flight of stairs in the middle of the night, b) I don't need two dollars worth of quarters to do it, and c) when Brian starts washing socks and white t-shirts instead of just buying more.

I have never wanted to thump anyone's parents as much as I do his sometimes.

36. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 23, 2006

Okay I know we moved on from this a long time ago but I've thought about it each time I've done my laundry since reading this so I just have to comment. I thought those were supposed to be easier on clothes because they didn't have an agitator? Isn't that one of their selling points? I got some used clothes from someone who used them in her condo wash room--but they were coin operated. Her clothes were in great condition and the tags inside all of them were really worn out. Which led me to believe they'd been washed a lot.