laundry

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Loves the beach, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jul 17, 2010

Have you ever been told that you let laundry pile up? I have been told that before, each time by the same person. I was told that recently when I went two days without doing laundry. :huh: I try to do a load a day while on summer break, but it's not always practical for me. This is partly a vent, because I do not have piles laying around. I have a hamper full of clothes and a small basket of towels. That's it. No mountains of dirty clothes. No bags of towels. I think my friend needs to watch "Clean House", if you ask me.

What do you consider "piling up?" How often do you do laundry? Once a day? Twice a day? Or just whenever you find time? Does it drive you crazy if you miss a day?

I'm venting, I guess. But I'm also curious to see who else out there "piles it up" like me. :p

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

Ummm...not even once a week. There's no way I would do it every day. (I don't have kids though and my husband does his own.)

4. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

If what you describe is called "piling up", I have a mountain! I hate doing laundry! I should clarify... I like putting laundry into the washer and then moving them into the dryer. The next phase-- the getting the laundry out of the dryer, folded/hung, and put away-- is the pits! I try do at least one load a day but it seems as though I always have a couple of small piles on the floor waiting until I have enough to run a full load.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 17, 2010

During the school year I do laundry once a week. In the summer it's more like every two weeks. I have a laundry basket in the bottom of my closet for my clothes. There is a basket in the laundry room for towels & linens.

I don't have kids, and DH does his own laundry. He's gone during the week, and he's been doing it while he's done instead of doing it at home in recent months.

6. Loves the beach

Jul 17, 2010

That's why I hate it, too. Also, I always end up shrinking my husband's favorite shirt, or accidentally leaving the clothes in the washer... only to find they've soured. Gross.

Let me clarrify something. When school starts, I don't do any laundry throughout the week. I save it for the weekend. I'm really not all that great at keeping up laundry, just in the summer I'm better at it. I don't want anyone to get the impression that my house looks like a picture from a magazine. I just don't feel like I deserve to be told I pile my laundry up. :mad: Sometimes there are more important things than an empty laundry basket.

7. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 17, 2010

I recently decide to take all my clothes to the laundromat, because I would never catch up. I took me two car loads to get it all there. That is piling up!!!! I have a husband and 2 kids, we all have way to many clothes, and it was both the winter clothes and summer because we went from snow to 90's in about a week.

So no I don't think that is pilling up. :D

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

I sort it all out in the hallway, and then it literally is in piles till I finish (which is usually about the point where I need to dump out the hamper and start sorting again)

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2010

Laundry, to me is the easiest household chore & I don't mind doing it. But, I have enough towels & clothing to not have to do laundry for about 3 wks...a little longer for clothing. Life is too short to do laundry every other day! ;)

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

Hmmm, I guess I may say my laundry is piling up if it's spilling out of the hamper...but I wouldn't consider that horrible!

Also, OMG laundry every day or every other day? No way! I'll do it once a week, or once every 2 weeks...depending on what's dirty and if I want to wear something that is in the hamper!

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2010

Laundry is my least favorite activity, right next to vacuuming. All of my work clothes? From the end of the year? They have been washed and dried, but they're still sitting on the ironing board. They've been there for a month. I'll get to them by August :lol:

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2010

I have 3 kids and a full time job.

During the summer I can normally keep pretty much on top of it, but that means several loads a day. (We have a pool in the yard, and you would not BELIEVE the number of towels I wash in the summer!)

During the school year, it simply isn't possible to keep up. I try to do a few loads during the week, but the overwhelming bulk of it gets done on weekends.

In terms of it "piling up": each of the bedrooms has a hamper, as do the bathrooms. So dirty clothes aren't out on display.

Stuff that has come out of the dryer, waiting to get folded, can be a different matter. It sits in laundry baskets, but in the basement, awaiting my attention. So unless you happen to be in the unfinished half of my basement for some reason, it's out of sight.

Anyone who wants to criticize is welcome to come over and do it all. Until that happens, we'll continue to do it my way.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 18, 2010

I throw in a load most mornings and then dry it in the evening.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2010

We usually don't do it until we need something, and since I have a lot of clothes, that can be awhile. I am trying to do it a little more regularly though. We have a couple hampers full usually but I don't really consider that piled up. When I lived in my old apartment and didn't have my own washer and dryer, I let it go for so long that one Saturday I just loaded it all in the car and took it to the laundromat. I used 14 washers at once. By the time I got the last load in, the first one was done. THAT was piling up.

I hate doing laundry too, although it is much better when you actually have your own washer and dryer in your house. We got a cool fancy new washer that holds a huge amount of laundry. The problem is we haven't replaced the dryer yet and it doesn't have nearly enough room, so we fill up the washer but the dryer is always crammed full and stuff gets wrinkled. Also I think our laundry goes "sour" really fast here - like if I washed it in the morning and left it until the evening, it would smell. And BF gets freaked out about running the dryer when we aren't here. So if I am going to do it, I have to be around for awhile. And I despise folding, hanging, and putting away.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 18, 2010

Who's telling you this? Is it someone who lives in your house? If so, then they can help DO IT. If not, I don't see how it's their business if you do laundry every day or once a month. Why do people feel the need to comment on other peoples' housekeeping habits???

I would consider "piling up" to mean there's so much laundry to be done that you have no other clothes to wear or it takes up the whole laundry room. I have a small hamper that holds exactly one load of laundry. When it's full I do a load of laundry. I can't let it pile up because then the clothes won't fit. What I DO pile up is the mess of clothes after they come out of the dryer LOL I hate putting them away!!

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2010

I usually do a few loads on the weekends, and maybe one or two during the week (Lauren's soccer stuff). With the front load machine, I have to do fewer loads. Even when my son was at home, I couldn't imagine doing laundry every day!

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2010

There's 4 of us in my house. My husband and sons are athletic and play on a variety of rec/adult teams throughout the week, so yeah, it piles up sometimes.

I won't be held hostage to laundry. My life is NOT about laundry. As long as everyone has clean underwear we're good. Don't worry about your friend's opinion of your laundry pile. Live your life.

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 18, 2010

Your friend would be really shocked at my house! I have piles of clothes that are clean on my guest room bed continually waiting to be put away. Have a pile of laundry in my garage (my washer and dryer are out there, but also no one can see it :) ). And a pile falling out of my laundry basket/hamper. I have worn the same jeans 3 times this week because I didn't have time to do wash and I couldn't find any of my other pairs. I don't have kids, so it's not a priority for me until I run out of underwear:p!

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 18, 2010

Well, I'm on my own, so I do laundry every 1-2 weeks. It takes that long for me to get enough to do a few loads.

I would consider my boyfriend a person who lets laundry pile up: when he literally runs out of clothes, I force him to do laundry. He will have mountains on his bedroom floor, and it will smell.

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 18, 2010

I do at least one, most of the time two, loads a day. My husband works with animals. We have sheep (the worse smelling animals alive...worse than pigs!) and a teenage boy that plays football and works out each day. His workout clothes are done every other day...they have their own smell. I hate laundry, but we do a lot.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2010

I thought that by building a larger laundry room I'd keep on top of things...not true! :)

22. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jul 18, 2010

To me, piling up would indicate that there are dirty clothes all over the bedroom and bathroom. If they are in hampers, then that is not piling up.

I do laundry once a week, regardless of whether it is summer or winter. I sort the entire family's clothes into piles in the hall, then wash them as each load finishes. I usually end up with about 4 loads in a normal week.

I once read somewhere that if you don't have energy efficient dryers, you can make them more efficient by running it constantly for one day, rather than once a day each day. Apparently it takes less electricity to run them for a whole day, than it does once each day. To do this, you have to empty and load the dryer as soon as it finishes one load. I do this and it makes the whole process much quicker. I can get all the laundry done in one day. Folding clothes is another matter. Speaking of which, I need to go fold clothes right now...

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 18, 2010

Ummmm, I have three active boys. I do a load or two every day and on the weekends I still have a mountain to do.

As for your friend...phooey on her. It's your life, not hers. As Alice said, unless she's willing to come do it for you, she gets no opinion, and you do it your way.

24. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 18, 2010

Our clothes stay in the baskets. That is not piles. However, I used to have PILES when I lived in my old apartment. I had to walk 4 stories down to the basement and it was a coin-op. Sometimes I'd go three weeks without doing laundry, mostly because I hated the chore so much.

Now I don't mind doing it, but since I hated it so much before, my GF says she wants to do it. She does a VERY good job and is much better at folding than I am, but doesn't do it as often as I would want it done. She does it 1-2 times a week, and now that the machine is in the house, I'd prefer to have laundry done every day or every other day depending on how big the loads were.

25. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 18, 2010

There are 2 of us, my daughter and I, and I usually have about 8 loads each week, but that includes couch covers (as we have pets) and sheets/pillowcases/towels (esp. since my daughter feels a towel can only be used one time!)

26. Loves the beach

Jul 18, 2010

Well, I think I'm starting to see that my family needs to buy some more clothes. The main reason I do laundry every other day is that we find ourselves running out of clothes. For example, my husband does not have socks to wear tonight to work, so I am washing his clothes right now.

Laundry is also my least favorite household chore, and that's probably my third reason for doing it so often. If I can get it out of the way during the week, it feels good to know I'm not going to be overwhelmed all weekend with it. I'd rather do small bits at a time, rather than huge chunks during my days off from work. To each his own! : )

27. Loves the beach

Jul 18, 2010

It's actually a close family member who does not live with me. I have a couple of perfectionists in my family, on my side and one on my husband's side. When I go to their houses, I often hear comments from them like, "Don't look at the floor. It hasn't been mopped this week." I heard this one recently, "The front porch hasn't been swept today. Don't look!" Probably the most annoying one I've heard is when I walked into one of these people's houses and heard, "Our house is a fright." There were literally five toys in the living room. Everything else was in place.

So I guess I hear this stuff so much, it makes me feel lazy because I certainly don't live up to those standards. It would drive me crazy. I've always felt compared to. In just the past year I'm realizing that I can do things my way, and as long as it works, let it be. I don't have to apologize for things like that. It's my way of doing things. I have only been living away from home a couple of years, so being independent is still pretty new to me.

28. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2010

First, I would counter that I am going green making sure I have full loads to save water and energy.

Don't let other people's expectations bring you down. It is better to enjoy your life and your children than worry about a perfect house. There are so many more important things to worry about.

I do it once a week now but when I had 3 boys all in sports I was doing 8-10 loads a week so I spread it out. I always have an abundance of socks and underwear for everyone because that is what runs out first. When they were 10 they were on their own laundry wise after training. If they can run a computer, video games, etc. they can run a simple washing machine. I emphasized how to do it correctly and that I wouldn't buy new clothes if they ruined them by being sloppy so they have been good - every now and then I help them catch up.

When they were young it was the clean clothes/folding thing that piled up so I put a chair right by the dryer and folded as they came out. I then took them directly to the person's room and put them on their bed - if you want to sleep comfortably you had to put your clothes away. If I discovered they were rewashing clean clothes they had dumped they owed me chores. If I had to do it because they didn't they owed me chores. I don't believe in paying kids for what they should do so I didn't pay allowance based on what they did - I just did the natural consequence if you wasted my time I will waste yours.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2010

I don't have piles either...several baskets, but not piles. We have seven sorting baskets in the laundry room alone, not counting what's in the bathroom and one in the bedroom. And it's just the two of us! We like our dirty clothes to stay organized. :)

30. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

Hey, loves the beach, I was quickly scanning down the list of new posts and yours caught my eye, primarily because I misread loves the BLEACH with a thread on laundry. :)

Guess what? You don't need to be justifying yourself to anyone about something as trivial as household organization. Here's a phrase, "Yes, I'm letting it pile up. It's all part of my effort to go green and protect the environment." :)

31. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 18, 2010

I must admit to having 4 baskets of dirty laundry in my hallway, one load in each of the washer and dryer, having already done three loads to completion today. When I went to bed Thursday night, I had 3 loads left to do, after having done 7 loads that day. I did one load yesterday and one load Friday. Ummmm, yeah, I let it pile up a little bit, though my excuse is that my dryer takes 2 hours, so I can't really do more than a load a day on the days I work (I'm a single mom...my days are long enough already).

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2010

Two hours!?

33. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 18, 2010

I know, justme...it's insane. The dryers that the apartment installed are rediculous, and I've called to ask them to clean out the vent several times and they haven't done it, so that doesn't help matters either.

34. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2010

Doesn't your family SORT their laundry? Can you really make a full load out of one basket if everything is sorted? I just sorted one basket of dirty clothes today. I made 4 piles, but none of them were big enough to justify washing.

35. Loves the beach

Jul 18, 2010

I'm not sure who this was directed at, but that was my point to my friend. I only had two large loads "piled up", and it's not every day I have a large load to wash. This is pretty trivial for me to be getting worked up over. I guess I was just hurt and feeling inadequate.

36. Loves the beach

Jul 18, 2010

:lol: Bleach! That's funny.

37. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

Without reading all the posts here are my thoughts on laundry.

1. I taught DH to sort his laundry into the baskets for me. I have one for whites/lights, one for darks, one for reds.

2. I do not do laundry more than once a week, and I do a max of three loads a week. I am a firm believer, as you will see below, that it is a waste to constantly wash clothes. It wastes electricity and water and wears out the clothes far too quickly.

3. Towels will be changed two-three times a week and hung to dry in between. Kitchen towels and napkins are changed more regularly, but they are small.

4. The only things that cannot be worn more than once are underwear, workout clothes, and things that got stained or dirty. Everything else is fine if it is worn twice.

5. I hang dry everything except towels and sheets, which, if they are in different baskets, I hold onto until I have a full load to run the dryer just once. Everything else gets hung on a line.

I start laundry Thursday night, load one gets hung up to dry Friday morning and load two goes in, it gets hung up Friday night and load three goes in after work on Friday to be dried and put away by the time I go to bed (in a perfect world...sometimes it is Saturday).

And no, I do not have kids yet, but I honestly don't intend to ever do laundry daily. I do not think it is necessary.