Laundry issues

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by karebear76, Jul 31, 2011.

1. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

I live in an old house, with a very humid basement (even with the dehumidifier running 24/7). So my problem is whenever I don't get around to the laundry quickly (which is more often than not) I end up throwing clothes away because of mildew and mold.

The most recent victims are the $100 worth of spray painted tees from vacation...:mad:

Does anyone have a way to clean up mildewed clothes, or am I stuck with the toss it out strategy? :help:

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

Dont run a new load until the ones from the dryer are put away.
    If you plan it all better you wont waste money! :)

4. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

Nice theory, but never works in my reality. My homelife is a wreck and I can't keep up with the demolition crew that are my 3 children. Thanks anyway.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

6. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

Thanks, silverspoon. It's definitely worth trying :) The vacation shirts are still damp so I'm hoping I found them in time. Praying for some sunny days to stick around!

7. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

Do you have the dehumidifier hooked up with the hose to drain it so it doesn't turn off?

I remember getting mildew on some of my clothes growing up as well because the basement was so humid. I don't remember if I was ever able to get it out though.

8. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

Pretty sure it's got the drain hose hooked up. It's such a pain when you have to empty it all the time.

Thanks again. I'll try out the tips from the link tomorrow; hoping for lots of sun!

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

I'll second OxyClean - that gets almost everything out :)

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

Would it be financially possible for you to hire someone to come in once or twice per week just for laundry and light cleaning? Keep the dirty clothes hamper upstairs where it's not so humid, have your helper do a few loads and clean the rest of the house while the washer is running. I bet you could find someone inexpensive through Craigslist, maybe a student or a grandma who wants a few extra bucks every week. If you're throwing out clothes so frequently, surely you're spending several hundred dollars on replacements anyway. Why not spend that money and get the rest of your house cleaned too?

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

This happens to me a lot, too, but I've been able to save almost everything before it actually has mildew spots on it. However, I'm often re-washing stinky clothes.

The best way for me to avoid this is to have a one-day, several hour long, laundry fest once a week instead of throwing in a load here or there. We tend to use Saturday mornings for around-the-house chores. While the kids are vaccuming, dusting, swiffering, etc, I do laundry. Laundry doesn't require a constant presence, so I can go back to the bathrooms or the toilets or the garden as needed.

I never put anything away during these sessions. I put it all in a basket, not even folded (except for those items that tend to realllyyyy wrinkle), and then on Sundays, after church, I spread EVERYTHING out on the bedroom floor and watch a movie. It's my Sunday afternoon ritual. The kids leave me alone, I have a cup of tea and a movie. It takes me about 2 hours to sort, fold, iron, etc. The perfect length of time to watch a chick-flick.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 31, 2011

Try a cup of vinegar in your wash.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 31, 2011

My mother comes over every day to watch my kids during the school year. I love my mother dearly, but she can give me a disapproving look like no other! It has guilted me into keeping up. Plus, if I have laundry sitting around, she will do it for me, then I feel really guilty!

I used to do the one day marathon, but I hatred it so much. I find that one or two loads a day works better for me.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2011

I also have a humid basement and run the dehumidifier day and night. However, I've never had any mildew on my clothes. Are they wet? I really don't understand. Anyway, one thing I do that dries out the basement is to run a moving fan for a few days now and then. Can you do that? Point it right at your laundry basket?

15. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 1, 2011

Good idea about the fan. Might be worth trying.

My basement has many issues. I hate that the laundry room is down there. We lived here for years with a very wet basement (sewer backups frequently, etc). Finally had enough and paid the huge bill for waterproofing, so while we no longer have standing water, it's still a damp basement with the humidity (lots of times its 75-80% down there).

The problem is when someone (I usually remember but others don't) puts a damp towel in the laundry or wet clothes from the kids. I've also lost clothing items upstairs to mildew. It just is an old house, but it's what we could/can afford.

Thanks again for the tips. I'll keep trying different things and hope for the best.

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 1, 2011

How old are your kids? From when I was in about the 5th grade, my laundry was my responsibility. From about 7th grade on, all of the laundry for the family was my responsibility. If it got mildewed or otherwise ruined, I had to figure out how to clean it, or pay to replace it. I learned very quickly to separate colors, do laundry in a timely manner, read washing instructions, etc.

We almost never put towels in the laundry baskets. They stayed hanging up in the bathroom and went straight in the washer. I got in big trouble if I put wet towels on top of nice clothes. We had a special rack in the bathroom where pool clothes and swimsuits hung. The pool routine was come home, rinse out swimsuit, hang it on rack. Could you look at changing some routines for your family to eliminate the problem that way? I grew up in an old plantation house with almost no climate control, so I understand the frustrations there.

17. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 1, 2011

I've tried to start routines but when you're the only one enforcing them, it's really hard.

My kids are young, that's the problem, 7, 3, & almost 2. As our pastor once said, "Bad habits are easy to make and hard to break, good habits are hard to make and easy to break." There are a lot of bad habits around here ;)

18. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2011

I'm another one who has to re-wash stinky clothes. I actually had one load that I had to wash 5 times before it made it into the dryer.

I just re-wash them and add a little ammonia if the stink is too bad. It always works out well.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 1, 2011

The seven year old is old enough to have some of the responsibilities, maybe not for laundry, but for other things so that you'll have time to work on the laundry. It takes a long time to establish routines, at home just like in a classroom. You just have to keep working at it. My mom tried several systems over the course of my childhood to get my sisters and I to do chores, etc. We would do each one for three months, and then decide if it worked or not, and if we should keep using it. Finally what worked was not a sticker chart or penny jar or anything like that. It was a checklist on the fridge for the whole family. It had everything that needed to be done that week. We initialed by the chore when we did it. If everything was done before Saturday, we'd go on a fun family outing. Otherwise, no friends over or TV on or anything fun until all the chores were done. These rules applied to my mom and dad, too. We usually got things done in plenty of time to get to have free time on Saturdays!

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 1, 2011

I like the fan idea.

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2011

It does help. I think I would find a way to keep the wet towels, etc out of the basement though. Could you hold the kids responsible to at least go down daily and make sure there are none in the laundry? Is there room in your upstairs area to put anything "wet" and throw them in the wash at the end of the day? Better yet, make a "no wet clothes in the wash policy," and give some kind of incentive for doing so? Kids usually do anything for a special treat.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 1, 2011

My towels will "sour", and sometimes they get mildew on them. My bathroom is really humid. I have one laundry basket that is for wet/damp clothes. The other baskets are for dry clothes only.

If clothes are damp or mildewed, I put white vinegar in the rinse water. It takes out the smell.

It's been extremely humid here this summer, so I've had sweaty clothes and bathing suits sour as well. Vinegar works great!

23. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 1, 2011

I had trouble with laundry until I made a routine. I do laundry every morning after I leave the bathroom the first time. "Do"ing laundry is different depending on whether I have a full load to wash or not. At the very least, I put a partial load in the washer without starting it so I at least do something. The key for me is doing laundry EVERY day at the same time.

Since you have a larger issue getting it into the dryer maybe you can make a routine that involves throwing clothes in the washer as soon as you come home and throwing them in the dryer as soon as you finish dinner. Having a routine can really help.

24. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 2, 2011

My issue isn't from washer to dry; although that has happened, a rewash takes care of it.

My clothes/towels mildew sitting in baskets waiting to be washed. I'll admit a routine would take care of the problem, but I'm really having trouble getting a routine in place. There are way bigger problems than the laundry.

Back to the original post, I'm having some success with the vinegar tricks from the link, so I'm hoping that with enough vinegar and scrubbing I'll be able to salvage these t-shirts.