Laundry detergent

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mrs100, Mar 22, 2008.

1. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Mar 22, 2008

What do you use? My whites are not white after just a few washes, and my colors fade sooo fast on everything else. I'm far from an expert on laundry, but the detergent I use ( ALL concentrate) is not working! What's the best for getting whites to be bright and to keep colors vibrant?

3. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 22, 2008

I have always used Tide, but for the last year I've been using Tide Coldwater. I like it. I am trying Purex Concentrate this time since it's cheaper. I haven't decided if I like it as much yet.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2008

Do you use bleach in your white load?

Try adding some borax...Borax is best known as a laundry booster; it helps soften hard water to leave your clothes cleaner and brighter.

5. glenn

glenn Rookie

Mar 22, 2008

I use Charlie’s soap. It is amazing how great it works on all colors including whites. It is really concentrated you only need one tablespoon per wash.

http://www.charliesoap.com/

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 22, 2008

I use Tide for front load washers. I put bleach in with my whites (sock, tshirts and undies). I like the unscented stuff.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 22, 2008

I like Gain original fresh scent and Tide. I use cheaper brands on things like jeans.

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Mar 22, 2008

I use Purex since it is usually the cheapest.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 22, 2008

We use Tide with bleach. For white loads, we also add a scoop of Oxyclean.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 22, 2008

I like Era, and All if it is on sale.

What is really annoying me right now is the 2x concentrated stuff. I don't like this, but my grocery stores are now ONLY carrying this stuff. I don't like it! I want my regular stuff back!

11. JustT

JustT Comrade

Mar 22, 2008

This is one of those questions I constantly have but never bothered to ask :lol::lol: I used to guess by the scent the students came into the classroom with.... that smells like Surf, All, Tide tropical... etc...

I can't live without Tide Mountain Fresh and for whites, 1/3 cup in a large setting on cold.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 22, 2008

Why don't you like it? Just use less and it ends up being cheaper.

13. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2008

I like cheer. I just bought a box of the Cheer free & clear (no dyes or scents), to see if that clears up our skin problems.

My roommate bought a big box of Tide with downy a few months ago. We barely used it up, and I hated it. The scent was too much for me

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2008

We usually get the Arm & Hammer allergen-free stuff. I absolutely love it! It doesn't have an offensive smell, doesn't make me sneeze, and it usually on sale (or otherwise pretty inexpensive as far as detergents go). I've been amazed at how well it has helped preserve our clothes, too.

We get the powder because the liquid seems to build up in the washing machine over time.

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Mar 22, 2008

I use liquid Tide and add bleach to the whites. I like the Tide for water the best

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 22, 2008

I don't know. I guess 'cause my momma uses the other, and I don't like to change! It makes sense, and I use the concentrated fabric softener, but it messes with my system!

;)

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 22, 2008

I heard the powder kind messes with your septic system (leach field). Not sure how true that is.

I think I might try your kind of detergent. Sounds like something bf might like.

18. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 22, 2008

I think I'm just not a very good laundress. I used to think it was the detergent, or the old washer. Now I have a new (or it was when I got it) washer, and use Tide w/bleach like many of you, and still the clothes fade. My daughters' socks are always brown on the bottom, which I think looks awful.

19. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2008

I have a front loader. I must use detergent and color safe bleach labeled 'h e'- high efficiency. I use Wisk 3X concentrated and Clorox colorsafe bleach.

20. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 22, 2008

Mine is a front loader, too, and we use HE detergent w/color safe bleach. Brown sock bottoms. I have to say, though, that my kids bring home the equivalent of a beach-worth of sand in their shoes every day, so maybe it just is so ground in...

21. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2008

I use whatever is on sale. Last bottle I picked up happens to be concentrated and one of those "natural" good for the enviornment (bio-degratable etc...) types.
    I like it....and I think I may stick with it. I think it is purex!

22. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 23, 2008

I always buy free and clear, whether it's tide, or lately the concentrated All. Since I have to go up and down so many stairs (see laundry debacle post) I like the little bottles.

I used to buy the all natural stuff, but after awhile realized stuff just wasn't smelling clean. That's not cool. They should figure out a way to have it natural, and actually do it's job. I also think our washers here aren't the best.

23. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 23, 2008

Random question: Why do you have to use certain detergents for a front loader washer?

Ok, back to types of detergent! :)

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 23, 2008

Answer to random question: regular detergents cause sudsing, which is a no-no for front loaders.

Back to laundry: My boys bring in dirt by the truck load (tractor trailer, not pick up) and their socks are always white after the wash. I have two white loads, one for pure white and one for white with color trim. That means the ninja turtle undies with the green trim do NOT go in with the socks. I use Cheer perfume and dye free (bunch of sensitive skinned red-heads in this house) and regular unscented clorox bleach (store brands don't do as well). I always put the whites on the longest wash cycle I have and then set the washer for the second rinse cycle. For really bad stains I'll prewash with oxyclean (run through the shortest cycle with just oxyclean). Just a note, if you have hard water or well water a good fabric softener is a MUST. When I lived at my parents (VERY hard well water) everything went grey and dingy in one wash if we didn't use it.