Laughable moment/Lesson learned

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cby1224, May 1, 2014.

1. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

May 1, 2014

I went into the BOE to resubmit an updated application in my hometown while visiting. It is a rural small area where everyone knows everyone. I intended on just running it in and continuing on with my other task that I needed to complete. Because I only intended on submitting it and leaving, I wore jeans and polo type shirt. While submitting it, the director of schools came in and asked if I had a few minutes. He wanted to take me to the high school that has the position open to look at the lab/classroom. So off we go to the high school where he, the principal and v.p. give me a tour of the school and discuss training, etc.. It was somewhat laughable because I would have at least wore khakis had I know I was taking a tour of the school and make a first impression with other teachers/staff but I did learn a valuable lesson.. Always dress nice when dropping off an app, not just an interview! :blush:

On a side note, I have talked with the V.P. and Principal several time since the meeting and the wardrobe mishap didn't seem to effect there willingness to hire me.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 1, 2014

Hopefully they can look past it!

As someone who worked the customer service counter for nearly 10 years in various retail/sales establishments, always dress at least business casual even if you are only picking up or dropping off an application. No matter where- schools, offices, McDonalds. You are being judged even then.

4. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

May 1, 2014

I agree 100% giraffe :).
    I feel like they have looked past it as they are sending me to the common core training in July, told me to make an extensive wish list for the lab (it is in horrible shape) and have contacted me several times about the pacing guide and my willingness to complete it if hired.

I know it can still fall through and I have not quit searching but this looks really promising for me. It wasn't the my first choice, but I do see lots of promise and lots of room for improvement while I am there. Who knows maybe even the casual dress helped. They are looking for someone who doesn't care to get dirty while reviving there science program.

Again though, I would have dressed a little nicer in hindsight but I can't change it now. Just laugh and move forward!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 2, 2014

Sounds like it didn't hurt your chances. Good luck!

6. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

May 2, 2014

Thanks smalltowngirl. I really hope it works out.

7. teach1

teach1 Companion

May 2, 2014

Good luck!! Sounds very promising :)

I agree w/ Giraffe in terms of always dressing appropriately. However, seems like your jeans are a non-issue. Woo!

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 2, 2014

There was a time when I participated in a mock interview at the college where I graduated. I was also going to drop off a resume at the school where I student-taught so after my mock, I went to the school in suit-and-tie and dropped off my resume. :D

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 2, 2014

I'm sure they were more interested in your abilities than your wardrobe. When will you hear more?

10. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

May 2, 2014

I am supposed submit my suggestions/lab equipment list next week. The director also said we could discuss pay. He said my pay would be more than base salary because I will be working/completing the pacing guide and because I will be teaching in a high demand area. As of today (close of application acceptance) there was no one who applied, excluding me, who held their chemistry license. I should know something at the latest by next Friday.

*Over look any errors please, I am on my phone.