late work question...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by silverspoon65, May 7, 2008.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 7, 2008

If you accept late work, whether its full or partial credit, when do you grade it?

Here is my dilemma. My students know if they are going to turn something in late, they need to stick it in the bin. Chances are I have already graded the rest of the classes' assignment. Chances are I have already collected several new assignments as well, and because I like to get papers back to students in a timely manner so they are still relevant, they are my frist priority for grading. On time work first, then late work. Because new assignments are constantly coming in, this might mean that late work could take awhile to get graded.

Switch to the parents perspective - if they get on their kid's case to get an assignment in, it might not show up in the gradebook for a week or more (our parents can access our online gradebooks). Then I get emails asking why the kid is still failing, where is the assignments, etc. They think it will just magically appear in the gradebook once it hits my desk.

What do you do in this situation? It might only be a big deal if the parents have access to the gradebook. Do you grade stuff as it comes in, late or not, even if it means it takes you longer to get something important back, or would you have the same policy I have (but our driven crazy by parents)?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 7, 2008

I grade late work (on those rare occasions when I do accept it) at my convenience. My response when kids or parents complain is that late work is not my priority and it may take up to two weeks to appear in the gradebook. I think that's fair, considering that the work evidently wasn't much of a priority for the student, either.

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 7, 2008

Yes, send a note home at the beginning of the year stating that your top priority is work turned in on time, and late work will be graded as you can fit it in. It seems fair to me. I know I sometimes check my kid's grades online and I question her about why she is missing things, and she tells me she turned it in but it is just not recorded yet. I'll check a week later, and the grades are there.

5. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

May 7, 2008

I only grade late work if they hand it in before I hand BACK the other's students on-time work. I always hand back work as soon as its graded, so I don't have to grade their work later. If it is after I already handed back the other's work, they can do a project for the credit, and the project isn't easy or fun!!!

6. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

May 8, 2008

I agree with bonneb, I would include something in my beginning-of-the year letter, AND I would put something on my website that the parents can see every time they check. Something like what you said above: "When grading work, on-time assignments are ALWAYS graded first. Work that is handed in late will be graded after all on-time assignments have been graded and returned."

7. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

May 8, 2008

I take it a step further. I tell parents and students that I purposely hold all late work until the end of the marking period so that I can expedite the process (stack up like assignments, just take out the key once, and so forth).

I don't take late work for homework, but students with excused absences are allowed to make up quizzes and tests within a certain time frame, so I don't see how I can avoid the problem of having late work to grade.