Late Work Policy II

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by highplainsdrifter, Apr 10, 2016.

1. highplainsdrifter

highplainsdrifter New Member

Apr 10, 2016

I asked for some feedback from teachers on their policy and their district policy on late work and I really appreciate the feedback. Im still looking for good feedback on this issue. I teach middle school. Here are some more bullet points that are being brought up:

*We are only getting middle school students ready for high school.
    *Students are still turning in quality work when it is late. (allowed to correct their own late work??)
    *There should be deadlines, but students should still be allowed points for self-confidence at the middle school level.
    *We are showing a students a dis-service when we are not teaching them to be accountable with deadlines. Giving them points after an assignment is late is reinforcing entitlement.
    *I would rather a student turn an assignment in really late so I know that they are turning me in quality work, or even some work.

(These are all from our faculty meeting).

There are circumstances that require a late assignment, i.e., sick, funeral, etc., please don't consider those. If a deadline is set for an assignment, or project, and the student turns them in late.

Im trying to figure out if there is even such a thing as "late work" anymore and giving a "0" for an assessment. Is it becoming obsolete, or has it become a paradigm swing because the administrator doesn't want another call from a parent? Or have psychologists done extensive amounts of research to have teachers/administrators consider this philosophy?

Feedback would be great. Thank you.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 11, 2016

I had a principal once that was GREAT about this. She felt that if a teacher assigned something, it had value and needed to be done. But she also felt that the middle schools that feed into our high school had really trained kids to be lazy and feel entitled. So if a student didn't turn in an assignment on time, they lost credit (or even got a zero) but they STILL were required to do the assignment. Students had to stay after school, work through lunch, sit in ISS to make up multiple assignments, etc. They quickly learned that it was far better to do it on time and get full credit than to do it later for none.

My current principal would never go for that. Too many complaints from parents would keep him from implementing such a system. But he is good about backing up reasonable late policies.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2016

Most policies about late work seem to be more about inflating grades and/or appeasing parents than about student mastery, at least in my experience. I've certainly heard administrators suggest otherwise, but I don't believe them.

To me, if a student failed to complete an assignment in September and it is now May, there is very little value in the student doing that assignment. Either the student was able to master the standards without that assignment, rendering the assignment irrelevant, or the student failed to master the standard, and likely failed to master all subsequent related standards, and the assignment won't do enough to get the student back on track at the end of the year.

With that having been said, I do see value in allowing late work, at least to a point. Sometimes things do happen, and I think that it's okay to allow kids to bounce back from a bad day or late night here or there. My ideal late work policy would allow students to turn in assignments a week or so late with a significant but not grade-busting penalty, say 20-30% off or so. There is still enough of a grade-based incentive to do the assignment (70-80% is far better than 0%), and still enough time for the assignment to promote skill practice before an upcoming assessment or subsequent related skill.

mathmagic likes this.
  5. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Apr 12, 2016

I agree with everything you said. To avoid the scenario you described, my cutoff for late work ends with each grading period. Most of (95%+) my kids do late assignments before the next test as they understand the value of doing so. With that being said, I do teach one math sunbject where HW is not assigned at all - that subset of students will not do any HW.

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2016

I have a similar policy, with an automatic deduction of 50% for late work. We are using 1:1 iPads for the first time this year, and we have a lot of "technical difficulties" turning in work, and it is difficult to know what is legitimate and what is not, so I am having to rethink this. Overall, though, for regular assignments, this policy seems to work well. There is enough incentive to get the work in on time, but also enough to make it worth their while to turn in late work.

I used to work in an online school where I was forced to accept late work up to the very last day of the semester. I ended up getting a lot of half-you-know-whatted work dumped on me on the last day. The kids obviously hadn't gained anything and I gained hours of painful, horrible "grading" at the last minute.

7. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Apr 25, 2016

At our school, late work is automatically a 0. I do allow students to turn it in by the end of the day or submit it electronically that evening. But besides that, it's a zero. I assign homework with that in mind. I give them plenty of class time to work if it's due the next day, or I give them 3-4 days to turn it in, and students always have several weeks to work on projects/essays.