Late reassignment, I need help! talented and gifted, reading..

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachyBon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. TeachyBon

TeachyBon Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Hi all! I am a fourth year teacher, and I have been teaching 3rd and 4th grade math and science to lower ability students. I have been quite successful, and am being moved to a position teaching grade 5 talented and gifted reading.

I completely disagree with the way my district has set up the talented and gifted program, but I do not have a choice in the matter. I taught Reading for 1 year, and I HATE it. I am looking for resources regarding teaching talented and gifted, reading.. and changing my attitude - right now I just want to RUN AWAY! I am really upset, and I am just not really sure what to do.

I guess I am asking for link, advice, and help getting over it. :(

Thanks in advance for any help.

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

I don't have any resources or links, but I would think teaching G/T reading could be a lot of fun. I bet many of your kids will LOVE reading, and you should be able to really dig into some books and have great discussions. By 5th grade, I would think you would be doing literature elements, really looking at characters, etc. Do you know what curriculum you will be using? Can you supplement with novels, etc.?

4. TeachyBon

TeachyBon Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

I can't think of anything fun about it - but I recognize I have a bad attitude at the moment. :)

I have no idea about the curriculum! I believe g/t uses something different from our district curric. Waiting to hear back. Thanks for your response. :)

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

I hope you get good news about your curriculum. If it's good, that might help you feel more excited :)

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

Check out books that deal with reading workshop. The kids you have are likely to be very self-motivated and good readers. You could have a ball with these kids AND the reading if you give it a chance.
    If you can, pick up a copy of The Book Whisperer. The author talks about how to put great books into kids' hands.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2009

http://www.teachingvision.org (I teach advanced, gifted and talented fourth grade.) Throughout the year, I will be talking about my reading instruction (and other subjects) here- http://blogs.scholastic.com/classroom_solutions

Going to my teaching resources website, you can find a plethora of links for reading. I incorporate reading response journals, encourage students to read all kinds of literature (you need a decent classroom library, but you can get books for cheap at thrift stores), and strengthen their vocabulary.

8. TeachyBon

TeachyBon Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

I'm feeling a little better, I guess. I REALLY appreciate the tips and links. THANK YOU!!!

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 20, 2009

You will love, love, love it and It's a wonderful opportunity. You're lucky you have been asked to do it.

Go to Ms. Jatzels's site and also, hoagies gifted web page.

You will have motivated kids who can read and like to read.

Do literature circles, buddy reading, you'll have kids who want to do independent reading.

This is a great opportunity!!