Late Pick ups what's your policy

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Myname, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Myname

Myname Comrade

Dec 6, 2007

and with bad weather do you inforce your late pick up policy?

How do you or your center run regarding late pick ups?

3. zawa

zawa Rookie

Dec 6, 2007

The parents are charged $10 a minute that they are late after the closing time. That tends to encourage folks not to be late. I imagine that some weather catastrophy (like when a tornado system moved through one evening near closing time) would see the fee waived, but not something like snow that everyone knew in advance was likely or was already falling.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 6, 2007

We do supposedly charge a late fee even with bad weather... notes went home earlier this week reminding parents of that, so to please leave work in plenty of time to ensure a timely pick-up for your child... I'm not the one who actually does the billing, however ;) Our fee is $1/minute... it's supposed to be per kid, but for parents who are rarely late, they tend to just get charged for 1 kid.

5. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Dec 6, 2007

It's $15 for any portion of 15 minutes (so, even if you're only 8 minutes late, it's $15.

Generally, if it's the first time, and it's only a minute or two, they get a reminder. After that, I enforce it, because we ALL have long commutes, not just parents, and teachers want to get home, too.

After two times in a month, it goes up to $30 / 15 minutes.

Of course, we're dealing with some parents who have MUCH more money than time, so it's not a deterrent for some.

Thankfully, I haven't had much of a problem this year.

With weather, we do the same thing.

Honestly, a minute or two one time isn't that big of a deal; it's the repeat offenders who bug me.

6. Myname

Myname Comrade

Dec 7, 2007

yes the repeat offenders they bug me too.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 7, 2007

This is what I do, too. Only ours is $10 for any portion of 15 minutes. Usually, as long as the parent is no more than 5 minutes late, I don't charge. Repeat offenders, though, I charge as soon as it is 1 minute past. We also have a policy at our centre that the parents need to be out of the building by closing time, so when they come strolling in right at closing time they aren't out of the building for a few more minutes after that.

I am especially strict if I have plans that evening - it is not fair for a late parent to keep me from the rest of my life. Very few people have jobs like this!

ETA: Our policy stands in bad weather, too.