late homework policies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by phidelt157, Jul 24, 2006.

1. phidelt157

phidelt157 New Member

Jul 24, 2006

Hello,

I'm curious to hear about everyone's late homework policy. Is it school wide? I'm especially interested to hear how you handle habitual issues.

Thanks!!

3. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 24, 2006

we have a homework policy school wide, and I also have one in my class.

School wide: If you miss 2 homeworks in one subject during the banding period, you get a behavior report and the band cut off.

(We participate in a behavior system where the kids get wristbands for good behavior. They are banded every 3 weeks. When they break the rules, the band comes off. Students who have wristbands at the end of the banding period get rewarded)

If you don't have your homework when I check it, you don't have it. Since I go over it that day, they are to do their work when we go over it, so I never give them an opportunity to turn it in late. The only kids that won't get penalized for not having it are those who were absent the day before.

4. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 24, 2006

We do not have a school-wide policy regarding homework so each teacher determines the consequences. Basically I do not accept late homework unless it is a major project or something like that. In that case I deduct 5 points per day for each day it's late. After three days the grade is zero. My students have behavior cards and if they don't turn in their homework they receive a check on their behavior card and lose their good behavior point for the day. The card must be signed by a parent at the end of each week and I usually contact parents when there is a student who fails to turn in his or her homework three or more times. Habitual failure to complete homework is reflected in the effort grade the student receives on the report card. I will sometimes require students to complete their homework during their recess time.

5. DisneyDreams

DisneyDreams Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

We have a school wide policy that a student who misses homework must stay during recess to complete it. I follow that policy, but I am a bit stricter when they miss a major project. Of course, a student who is absent is excused.