Late Homework Passes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ruby731, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

OK, I am SO DONE with late and missing work. Our 50% off one day late policy and missing their one recess per day did not affect our students' turn in rate. So I'm thinking about giving 3 late homework passes per quarter. They can turn in an assignment 24 hrs after the due date without penalty. I want to say that I will not accept anything else unless there is a parent note, and no more than two days after the original due date. Keep in mind most of their "homework" is unfinished classwork.
    Does that sound reasonable? I also wondered if they should "earn" the third one with personal behavior. I teach 4th by the way.

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

Hmmm, I guess I am too far removed from 4th. 50% off for one day seems extreme. I mean they are still kids.:eek:

I'm sorry and I'm speaking from an early childhood perspective so I'm not claiming to be a know it all. I don't. But our kids grow up so quickly today and I think sometimes the way we treat them even in school encourages this. Points off I completely understand, but that means if they do perfect work a day late they automatically fail that paper. I don't agree with that (but I could be the only one that feels way, soo.....) you even said it didn't do the trick.

I think your idea of 3 late passes is a reasonable idea perhaps even having to have a parent signature on late work. I just think the first rule is outrageous!

4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

I agree somewhat.

Why even bother to make up the missed homework if you are going to flunk it anyway -- would you even bother to do it if you were the student?

BUT -- you pointed out that most of their homework was unfinished classwork. If it is unfinished classwork, I'd say go with the 50 percent off if they still can't complete it at home. I would also call the parents to let them know what is up.

If it is just homework that is late, I would go with the homework passes and/or knock 10 points off for each day late.

BTW, we are not allowed to officially grade homework, just check to see if they did it. But my students don't know that. So, I am going to create a chart this year for homework completion. Top scorers get a party.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

missy I think your plan is great and motivating.

And if it's classwork that didn't get finished it makes more sense. But I still think you need to notify parents so they can help.

6. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 16, 2009

I am floored with the 50% we are 10% per day it is late. I have homework notices that the parents have to sign and the student gets in trouble if either the homework or the parent notice is not returned completed.

I also give out homework passes in which you can get an extra day to do an assignment at no penalty. They earn them for behavior or straight A's at the end of a quarter.

7. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

I seem to look like the wicked witch here but this a multi-grade policy starting in 3rd. Unfortunately, our population of students had an even worse turn in rate with more lenient policies from what I've been told. There is very little parent support, even with calls and notes. Every day in their planner I stamp assignments turned in on time and highlight what has not turned in and wrote "missing" above it. I need to be more diligent about make sure parents sign that.
    I'm trying to be more positive (more rewards) and student choice centered this year and hoping these procedures might help.

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

Ruby, if you are the wicked witch, I'm afraid I must be Satan himself/herself. LOL

You certainly are not doing the upper grade/Middle School teachers any favors at this age by letting it just go by if they aren't doing their homework. So, I agree with the penalties.

That being said, I do the 20% off each day its late, after the third day I don't accept it. At 4th grade they are more than old enough to be responsible for their homework.

I would try having more incentives for homework since the penalties are not effective enough. My old P used to take a group of students each month to Shakeys Pizza for perfect HW (it was a drawing, obviously not all kids got to go). Every kid that gets perfect HW for the month got a certificate from Shakeys/Round Table/Etc even if they weren't chosen to go with the P.

9. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

Ruby, I feel your pain!!! I've taught 3rd and 4th, and unfortunately our school does NOT have a specific homework policy in place, which means it falls to the individual teacher. Therefore, I'm not sure we have a homework policy that "flows" from grade level to grade level as the kids get older, each year requiring more responsibility, which would be ideal.

With that being said, I'm thinking about using your idea of homework passes to be used with no penalty (3 per quarter). I will also let the kids redeem unused passes for extra recess or a party or something at the end of each quarter, to encourage students to ALWAYS complete homework/classwork. In 4th grade I took 25% off for late work, no matter how late it was. In 3rd I have never deducted a percentage, but I think I might try 10% off for each day it is late....maybe?? I'm still trying to work that out. I DO make the kids finish missing work before going out to recess, which is a great incentive to get stuff done!! BUT I do not take away a set amount of recess time. Therefore, I try to turn it from a punishment of missing recess to more of a consequence.....so they understand that they are missing recess as a result of what they did or didn't do, not because I just want to "be mean to them."

I know I'm long-winded, but I just bought a bunch of neat "homework on time" stuff for my classroom today, so I'm excited to be able to work on a really positive homework policy. Thanks for your ideas!

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

Ruby, our policy is also 50% off after one day. I did give each student a sheet at the beginning of each trimester with 3 "Oops" passes that gave them an extra day. My kids treated those like gold, and many saved them for actual "oops" cases: a forgotten book, busy family night, etc. I really like the idea of rewarding them for unused ones--that's much better than getting bombarded with them in the last week of the trimester! I also gave them a "Free Homework Night" pass on their birthday, which let them take one night off from homework (pre-approved my me, of course!)

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

No, you don't seem witchy. We can't control what school policy dictates.

12. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

Like some of you I plan on giving the kids extra credit for each of the passes that they don't use. I also have some individual and whole class rewards for turning in quality work on time. How many points would all of you give for each unused pass? Would you use some other kind of incentive ?

13. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

One extra thing that I do with my class is if everyone does all of their homework (or uses a pass) for two weeks then we have popcorn. During silent reading or something like that we have a little treat. when its hot we have otter pops

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

msmullenjr, to me, your plan sounds great. I don't think any of us are disagreeing with having points deducted. of course they should not receive the same grade as those that turn it in on time.

However, I DO NOT agree with 50% off for one day. that is ridiculous. And like one person said, there really is no motivation for completing it all. if I'm still going to fail, WHY????? And especially at that age, that is EXACTLY what they are thinking. I figure as self-motivated as I am and an adult, if I wouldn't want to complete, I certainly couldn't expect to motivate kids to do it.

I mean for one paper they miss recess, fail that paper, and still have to do it------God, it's amazing they want to come to school. But if they have a pass, they have an opportunity to correct the problem. That is what we want kids to be able to do. PROBLEM SOLVE.

I love the positive rewards. I think that all too often is phased out with older kids.

As adults, we like rewards and recognition - so do kids. Now it's not the end all be all. Kids must learn responsibility, but these are kids and are still in the process of learning.

Ruby, I applaude you for seeing that there needs to be a different way. You haven't eliminated the consequence - just altered it a bit. You are helping the kids problem solve and have a second chance when they screw up (as they will).

15. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 16, 2009

Our school policy is not to accept late work (although most of us do). I do recess completion until it is made up.

16. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 16, 2009

I don't think you sound wicked, I am/was just shocked by the schools stance on late homework. However, if it is an improvement then I can understand why the school is this way.

I think you sound like a loving teacher who wants to help her kids out.

17. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

Stop worrying about HW. Why? You can't be in the home to control it. If you enjoy the chase then by all means work yourself to death divising schemes to combat something you have no control over. Sure, continue to assign HW and check it (don't grade it). Somewhere on the report card is a space for "demonstrates responsibility".

If your purpose for HW is to "learn" versus just to get it "done" consider giving a quiz ON the HW. A couple quizzes a week very similar to the HW assignment (not trying to fool anyone) used as bell work (I use the back of students' HW paper) will separate the "doers" from "learners". Grade the quiz and check the HW.

18. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

You could always do a drawing with the unused passes. Have the students put their names on the back, put them in a bag, & pull out several for some reward (lunch w/ teacher or candy bar)! With this even a student who has 1 pass still gets a chance. (I don't know though if there's be an issue with students not using passes when they should to get the points or incentives at th end of the quarter. :unsure:) :D

19. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

jeanniemleigh, thanks for the comment. I just know that many teachers at my school think that I am the strictest teacher about responsibility, but my class always rises to my expectations so I don't think that I ask too much. Each month I only have 3-4 students who do not make the 100% HW drawing, and its usually not the same ones (one is but hey I try). When I saw all of the responses right away saying too harsh I laughed thinking Uh Oh what will they say about me. LOL

I tell my class from the beginning "I might expect more than you are used to, but I also reward more than you are used to" I want my kids to be responsible, but I realize that they are still kids and there needs to be some motivation for them. :)