Last week before Spring Break...AND a Formal Observation!?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by justwanttoteach, Mar 10, 2017.

1. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Mar 10, 2017

SO next week is the last week of school before we leave for a 2 week Spring Break. Furthermore, its a short week with a minimum day on Wednesday, Open House on Thursday and another Minimum Day on Friday. In CA March 15th is the day by which the bosses have to let you know, if you are coming back or not. March 15 is Wed. I have had 2 glowing observations...but I still have one more pop in. My kids and I are climbing the wall and SO READY for Spring Break.

We are working on a project for Anne Frank and kids will be in the thick of working with partners to put things together. How concerned do I need to be about the lack of who class teaching will be seen if my Evaluator walks in to observe Monday or Tuesday?? Seriously all they will see is me walking around making sure kids are working on their projects. Most Admin understand that the kids and even staff are already mentally checked out right!? What a crappy time for an observation! Tips for survival?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 11, 2017

Unless you have an ogre for an administrator, I wouldn't worry about it one bit. You're probably better off with the group project than whole class teaching if they're this excited.

dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 11, 2017

My only suggestions:
    • Before they break into groups, go over the end goals of what they are doing and what they should learn from it.
    • Make sure to circulate a LOT, even if it's only to quietly observe.
    You'll rock this.

bella84 and Leaborb192 like this.
  6. 4SquareRubric

4SquareRubric Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

Don't worry too much. Do you use a teacher rubric for evaluations? If you do then student centered work is at the higher levels in all categories.

Even if you don't remember an observation is not an opportunity for you to show how smart you are it is an opportunity to demonstrate how much your students learn in class. Best advice, have a rubric and checklist with you. Make sure the students know the expectations. Check for student understanding against your assessment criteria.

7. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Mar 11, 2017

Like others have said, for some admins (and really I'd say most - I only said some because we had one observer in my previous district who was notorious for not liking anything that wasn't old-school lecture), this will actually make for a better observation because of how student-centered it is and how much students are steering their own learning. As you circulate, make sure you're really checking for understanding and giving specific feedback on what they're doing and you'll be fine. I got observed 2 days before Christmas break last year so I feel your pain, but it was all good!

MissScrimmage likes this.
  8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 11, 2017

Exactly! The point of an observation is for your admin to see you 'in action'. They just want to see how you teach, manage the class and make decisions on the fly. This will be an awesome way to show your admin what you can do!

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 11, 2017

I feel you! It's also the week before Spring Break for us, and I have an observation scheduled for Monday. I agree with previous posters to just make sure you are asking the kids questions about their projects. Your admin will see what they see.