Last Two Days

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 5throx, Jun 4, 2013.

1. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Jun 4, 2013

Hello, it's been over a year since I've posted, but here I find myself.
    We've got two full days of school left and starting tomorrow, the entire school must be packed up as they are putting a wrecking ball through my school building two hours after school dismisses on Thursday. Which leads me to my problem.
    What do I do with 25 third graders and exactly 0 supplies? I've already made a list of all the age-appropriate, no supplies needed Girl Scout games from my days as a counselor, and if I'm good I might be able to stretch them for six hours, tops.
    Any and all ideas are welcome.

3. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 4, 2013

So sad about the wrecking ball situation. I hope it all goes well!

Scavenger hunt with a camera to take pictures of memories of the school
    Group picture in front of the best places you'll always remember
    Ostical course
    Sticks in the sand drawings
    Chalk from the dollar store (if you don't have any) to use on the side walk--seeing how it's all going down anyways
    Paper plane contest.

Just to name a few.

Best wishes.

4. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 6, 2013

Someone else posted about doing an "ant hotel." All you do is put down a paper plate with some food, have the kids make predictions, then come back and observe a couple hours later. I love this idea!

You could also give the kids a list of characters (I used barnyard animals) and put them in small groups to come up with a skit using those characters. Then each group could perform their skit. This took us a while!

Have you ever played the Four Corners game? You "name" each corner in a room, then you list the names of the corners randomly. The kids walk around the room then when you say "Choose!" they must go stand in a corner. All the kids in the corner you called are out. Keep going until one person is left.

Google "Would You Rather for Kids" and you'll find a bunch of questions to use- line the kids up in the center of your area (works outside or in) and say, "Would you rather..." then point to the left side of your area for the first choice and to the right side of your area for the second choice. Students move to the side of their choice. Ask a child from each side why they made the choice they made. I found a Summer Edition of Would You Rather Questions on TeachersPayTeachers for Free. The kids love this!

You could always do the game where the first person says their name and something they plan to do over the summer that starts with the same letter as their name...then each person after that must say repeat those for the people who went before them. That takes a while!!

Give each child a question on paper and have them wad it up. Let them have a "snowball fight" for a minute or two, then have everyone pick up one of the paper wads and answer their question. Good ones to use this time of year are: "What is your favorite Summer treat?" "Where would you love to go on Vacation?" "Who would you most like to squirt with a water hose and why?"

Get your kiddos in a comfortable circle on the floor and start a story. Pass a ball to someone across the circle and have them continue the story...keep going until everyone has had a turn to add to the story.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2013

If they're wrecking the building can you like bring in paint and let them go wild on the walls? That would be a really cool memory for them.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 6, 2013

I agree, even markers or crayons on the walls would be fine I would think and take a while!