Last night at dinner, Peter said the magic words:

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Mar 4, 2011.

1. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2012

Oh, that's what that is! We saw the locations on the park map, but didn't look into it at all.

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2012

Well, Peter leaves for Disney in 10 hours. (He has to be at school at 3 am for the Senior trip.)

So he gets to go to Disney.
    Not only am I not in Disney, but it's me and the 3 kids all weekend.

It's a very good thing I love him so much :D

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2012

LOL, Alice.

Have a great weekend with the kids, and I hope the seniors have a great trip!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2012

He's having a great time, though the weather has been awful. But it did clear last night, so they were able to get in to see Fantasmic. Good, I was hoping he could see it again, since it's not on our plan for August.

I have been checking, as has our travel agent, to get us tickets to the Tomorrowland Dessert Party.http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/re...3844201-2266485-8517266-1232121&ts=1335043844

As of this point, August dates aren't open yet.

Anyone going before me who has gotten tickets yet? As far as I can see, they're opening dates at about 90 days out, so we should be booking fairly soon.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 7, 2012

From www.mousesavers.com:

Room-Only Discount Codes
    Late Summer Savings Offer

Save at select Disney resorts for stays most nights 8/15/12-9/29/12.

Discounts off rack rates:

All-Star Movies 15% off

All-Star Sports, All-Star Music, Port Orleans - Riverside, Grand Floridian, Contemporary and Polynesian 20% off

Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs and Ft. Wilderness Cabins 25% off

Animal Kingdom Lodge (standard room only), Beach/Yacht Club, BoardWalk Inn, Old Key West and Saratoga Springs 30% off

Other resorts may be available with this offer, at varying discounts (mostly 5% off). Note that rates are higher on September 28-29 than the other dates in this range.

This is a room-only offer. Tickets and dining plans can be added to your room-only booking, but that will turn it into a vacation package, and vacation package rules will apply.

Book by 8/14/12. Excludes Disney's Art of Animation Resort, all suites and 3 bedroom villas. Some room categories, dates and resorts may not be included in this offer. A limited number of discounted rooms are available. Minimum stay requirements may apply for Friday or Saturday arrivals.

Thanks to Small World Vacations for info.

To reserve a room with the Late Summer Savings Offer, call the Disney Reservations Center at (407) W-DISNEY or contact a travel agent who specializes in Disney travel, and request code L7Q or T47.

Summer Savings Offer

Save at select Disney resorts for stays most nights 6/15/12-8/14/12.

Discounts off rack rates:

All-Star Music and All-Star Sports 15% off

Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans - Riverside, Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Grand Floridian and Contemporary 20% off

Animal Kingdom Lodge (standard room only), Beach/Yacht Club, BoardWalk Inn, Old Key West and Saratoga Springs 25% off

Other resorts may be available with this offer, at varying discounts (mostly 5% off). Rack rates at Value and Moderate resorts are lower for the period 8/5/12-8/14/12 than for the period 6/15/12-8/4/12, and the discount percentage may vary during that period as well.

This is a room-only offer. Tickets and dining plans can be added to your room-only booking, but that will turn it into a vacation package, and vacation package rules will apply.

Book by 6/14/12. Excludes Disney's Art of Animation Resort, all suites and 3 bedroom villas. Some room categories, dates and resorts may not be included in this offer. A limited number of discounted rooms are available. Minimum stay requirements may apply for Friday or Saturday arrivals.

Thanks to Small World Vacations for info.

If the discount would help, you can call Disney and have it applied to an existing reservation.

We already had a PIN for 30% off our room at the Beach Club, so it doesn't save us any additional money.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 7, 2012

You can always add it on once you're there.

I love parkhoppers; they're well worth the money for us. It enables us to do morning EMH in one park, then have dinner elsewhere. Or to hop to a more rain-friendly park if the weather turns.

Depending on the times of your flights and the ages of your kids, I would get a 5 day park ticket. Once you get past 3 nights, the price increments are small anyway. And we take advantage of both the first and the last day in the parks.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 8, 2012

Like Alice said, it's a small price jump--$11 to add a 4th day, or $19 to add two and end up with a 5 day ticket.

Just something to think about...

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 9, 2012

Jjust got home from a long weekend in Disney....stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and ran in the expedition Everest 5k challenge, I think it may have been the most disorganized race I have ever done. It was a great experience though!

Now I really really want to do the wine and dine half marathon.....waiting for southwest to extend their schedule to November.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2012

I would love to stay at AKL one day. (Since their standard rooms don't accomodate 5 people, it's not going to happen until the kids are grown.) I'm suprised to hear it was unorganized; tha most certainly isn't Disney's style.

Two of my sister leave in about 20 minutes for Orlando. Peggy has a conference there Monday and Tuesday. Since her husband couldn't get off from his job (and they have 3 kids), Jeanne is going instead.

They'll do Disney today and tomorrow. Then, while Peggy works, Jeanne is on her own. I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up at one of the marinas, either on a Jetski, one of the small boats, or parasailing. (She's the sister who owns her own boat.)

The last time Jeanne was in Disney was a good 20 years ago; she took my older sister's kids. So she's thinking it will be all princesses and Mickey Mouse; I think she's in for a nice surprise. They have reservations for Sci Fi Diner tonight, and for Japanese food tomorrow in Epcot.

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 12, 2012

AKL was nice, there were zebras and giraffes out my window but its not really my taste...I wanted beach club but it wasnt a choice to get transportation to the race. My grandmother loved every second of it. (We made reservations for Nov and are waitlisted for beach club otherwise we have saratoga springs...cross your fingers for me)

I was so surprised too but found out that the races are not actually run by Disney and the timing company that does them are the worst in fl according to another runner I was talking to. The after party was great though.

Jeanne is going to have so much fun. So much has changed in 20 years!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 21, 2012

Have I mentioned that it's only 72 days till we leave????

Oh, and those of you going this year who have young kids: consider signing up for a Fairy Godmailer http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2440121&page=80

Here's how it works: You register on the DISboards. You go to that site, and ask someone to be Fairy Godmailer for your kids, and you give them your personal info via PM. At some point in the next few weeks, your kid get a postcard from Disney-- you can specify a particular character if you chooose-- anticipating your trip. You, in turn, volunteer to "pay it forward" and send a postcard to someone else when you go.

My kids got SUCH a charge out of it when they got their first one. My friend thought it was part of the "Disney Magic" when one came addressed to her sons; I had to tell her I set it up so she wouldn't tell her friends to expect it.

The only info they need is mailing address, kids' names, and ballpark idea of when you're going, so you're not letting the world know when your house will be empty.

12. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 21, 2012

My question is: Can I come with you on this trip? ;)

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 21, 2012

Alice, me too, me too!!!!

So, I've only been to Disneyland. It seems to me that planning a trip to Disneyworld is like planning a trip to Europe!!

14. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 21, 2012

Europe trip planning is a little more intense ;) but Euro-Disney is AWESOME.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

You've been? I WAS gonna go to Europe this year for my 30th and to visit my family but SOMEONE had to be all, "we need to save more money" (pfffff, husband's :rolleyes:) Anyways, I was thinking about doing Euro-Disney just for fun. :D

16. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 22, 2012

You could always threaten to cut him off or a month or banish him to the couch? xD

But yes. I went in 2009. London, Scotland, Amsterdam and Paris for 17 days. It was my graduation present from college from my grandparents :)

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 22, 2012

Oh, it's only this complicated because I love a project. It's perfectly possible to book a trip through a travel agent, get on a plane, and show up at the Magic Kingdom. But you miss so much if you don't do at least a little planning on the way. You're always free to change those plans, but I love having them.

It's funny, but as much as I love Disney, I have no interest in seeing EuroDisney. There's just so much to see in Europe that I can't find at home, I wouldn't want to spend the time.

Then again, the last time we went, we spent 2 days at the Tower of London. Peter and I are both enthralled by history, and there's so much of it over there.

When the kids get older, and we're able to get back, I would love to plan a trip. And, knowing me, the plans will roughly rival those for D Day :)

18. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 22, 2012

We wouldn't have gone, but my BFF had 2 free tickets that could be used at any Disney park with the exception of Toyko Disney. Since we both have Disneyland passes it seemed logical to use them at Euro Disney :)

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 22, 2012

:lol: I can only imagine the threads we will see... :lol: :hugs:

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 22, 2012

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

I'm still waiting, semi-patiently, for them to open up the Wishes Dessert Party bookings for August.If I don't get it, it won't be the end of the world, but we really enjoyed it last time.

Those of you who are also going this summer, how are your plans coming along?

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

August is now open if anyone else was waiting! We have our reservations!!!

23. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 12, 2012

Thanks for the heads up! I've been leaning towards doing this as I know the kids would LOVE it.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2012

25. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jun 13, 2012

i have to look into that dessert party???

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2012

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

So, those of you who are going this summer-- are there any particular things you want to pick up for yourself?

I lost my last Disney watch trick-or-treating, so I'll be getting a replacement. I like a nice gold watch, not something that screams "DISNEY WORLD." The one I lost was gorgeous, and very understated.

When Peter went on the Senior trip, he picked up a silicone muffin tin for me-- 6 Mickey Mouse heads. I seldom make muffins, but we make ice all the time, and it is the world's best ice cube tray. The ice cubes are huge-- perfect for a big glass of soda or ice water. I may very well pick up another.

How about you??

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2012

Doing the happy dance!

Today we got our documentation for Disney's Magical Express.

If you're staying at one of the Disney resorts, you can check your bags at your home airport. A few hours after your free shuttle to the resort, your bags will appear in your room-- no need to pick them up at baggage return. For the trip home, it's another free ride, and no handling of your baggage-- check them at your resort, then pick them up after you land.

34 more days. Not that I'm wishing away my summer, but it's getting closer!!

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2012

One of the teachers at school is going to Disney for 13 days this summer--11 days at the parks! He was telling us about the Magical Express at lunch the other day; what a luxury!

30. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

Magical Express is so nice--it made it possible for my mom and I to fly there from different cities and not have to worry about trying to coordinate our airport times!

31. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

We have decided to do October instead. I found a week where little sister has a long weekend, so we will be able to go with her only missing a couple days of school. I hate doing that, but this is not something we are in the habit of doing, she is an honor student, and we will get all of her work ahead of time so I think we will be ok. I have enough personal days so I should be good too. I just think we will have a much more enjoyable experience with smaller crowds and less heat.

32. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

Alice, have you eaten at Boma? Thought we might make reservations there as an homage to my other sister who is in Africa and won't be able to join us on our Disney adventure.

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2012

No, I haven't. But it's gotten great reviews.

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2012

A little gift for those of us going during Hurricane Season.

First of all, don't sweat it. Orlando is inland, not on the coast. And the Disney resorts have been built to withstand storms; it's said that the locals go to Disney resorts if they're concerned.

But when Tropical Storm Faye visited on our last day in 2008, I was understandably a bit concerned. We kept an eye on the news. But all the information concerning watches and warnings were listed by county, and without a map I had no idea which county we were in.

So print this up and bring it along, just in case:
    http://www.insideflorida.com/images/florida/fl_counties_bg.png

Thanks to answerbag.com, I can tell you that "The Walt Disney World Resort is within the boundaries of two counties: Orange County and unincorporated Osceola County."

You'll probably never need that information. But on the off chance that a tropical storm does coincide with your trip, it's nice to know.

For what it's worth, Faye brought us our BEST day-- the parks all opened early (anticipating an early closure) and the parks were totally empty. We donned our ponchos (brought from Walmart, though the dollar store sells them too... I bring 3 apiece) and had a marvelous time.

35. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2012

Ive eaten at boma (I thought it was fine...but I'm the pickiest eater ever and am happy with chicken fingers) my aunt and grandma loved it and went back again without me.

36. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2012

Good to know. I mean, is there really a BAD place to eat in Disney?

37. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2012

Lol. I don't think so...but if they wanted to go to the same place twice when there are so many choices...it must be great.

38. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2012

I LOVED Boma! I toyed with the idea of cancelling a reservation elsewhere and going there a second time, but it ended up not working out. They had an amazing selection of different types of hummus. Yum!

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2012

40. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012

Have they updated the fast pass at all at Disney? My sisters just went to Six Flags and said that they now have a "flash pass" where you go to a kiosk and choose the ride you want and scan your wristband and then the wristband actually has a timer in it so it counts down to when it's time to ride. I told them it sounded like something Disney would do. lol. Last time I was there you had to go all the way to the actual ride to get a fast pass, which was a little receipt paper with your time on it.