Last night at dinner, Peter said the magic words:

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2011

When I asked, they said around February. But I'm not trusting them; I'm trying to remember to check the site daily. Once they open up the classes, they'll go fast.

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2011

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 3, 2011

Yum, dessert party! May just have to try to get reservations for that one.

I was guessing the YES stuff would appear around Jan or Feb. I'll be checking back for sure! I think Marcus and hubby would enjoy one of the physics themed one. I find it so odd that we can save $300 on a 7 day pass by taking a class. I guess it's a "good PR" kind of thing.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2011

Either that, or Disney can use it as a tax write-off.

But the classes look incredibly interesting. And every single review I've read has been great.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 3, 2011

Oh yeah, tax write off, that's a definite possibility. What's cool is that many of the classes sound like exactly what I would love to be able to have Marcus do for a week long summer camp. There's less that jump out at me as a great one for Rebecca, but there are some good ones for her as well. Will just have to wait and see what's offered when we want to go and then have to hope we can get in.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2011

Alice, do you have a link for the YES classes? They sound very interesting..

Thanks!

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 4, 2011

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2011

Thank you!!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2011

Ms Mar, keep in mind: if you can't find a class for Rebecca, you can still get the tickets-- you only need ONE child to take the class.

Of course, I'm hoping that all 3 kids can take a class (or concurrent classes) one morning-- I think they're a marvelous opportunity to see some of Disney's Behind the Scenes stuff!!!

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 5, 2011

Yeah, I'll aim for Marcus first and then see if there's something for Rebecca as well.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2011

I just saw this at www.allears.net and thought of you:

"The new "A Taste of Hollywood To Go – A Fantasmic! Dining Experience" at Disney's Hollywood Studios lets you enjoy an affordable picnic plus reserved seating for Fantasmic!, the park's nightly extravaganza that takes guests inside the dreams of Mickey Mouse, into a world where his magic creates dancing waters, shooting comets, animated fountains, swirling stars, balls of fire and other amazing wonders.

Reserved viewing is first come, first served, so get there early! It's just for a short while -- December 18 - 31, with reservations starting December 1 at 407-WDW-DINE (a credit card guarantee is required). Pick up is at Min & Bill's Dockside Diner from 11 a.m. through 1-1/2 hours prior to your selected show time.

You choose which performance you’d like to attend when you order your meal. Pick up your meal at your convenience and then you're on your own for an easy picnic lunch or dinner. You might want to try more than one of the picnic goodies, but your Fantasmic! seats are based on the number of guests in your party (entrees ordered must be equal to or greater than your party size). And, yes, it's part of the Disney Dining Plan -- a quick-service entitlement. Here's what you can order:

-- Fried chicken with maple-glazed sweet potato and baby spinach salad, broccoli and cranberry salad and cheesecake, $14.99

-- Veggie wrap with avocado spread, tabbouleh, avocado and tomato salad with citrus vinaigrette and chocolate cake, $14.99

-- Olive oil poached salmon with couscous salad with dried cranberries and peas, roasted beet and apple salad and Key lime pie, $14.99

-- Teriyaki and orange marinated beef with udon noodle salad and caramelized vegetables and sesame mandarin vinaigrette, seaweed salad with gingered carrots and mandarin orange cheesecake, $14.99

-- Fresh fruits, Brie, dipped strawberries and focaccia bread, $11.99

-- Chocolate-dipped pretzels, strawberries and marshmallows with chocolate dipping sauce, $9.99

-- Kid's meal with turkey and American cheese wrap and strawberry yogurt, apples and carrots with ranch dip and seven-layer cookie bar, $5.49

-- Kid's meal Power Pack with Goldfish crackers, strawberry yogurt, string cheese, apples and carrots with ranch dip and a seven-layer cookie bar, $5.49"

12. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Dec 7, 2011

We are going to the Candlelight Processional which is the same type of dining arrangement. I'll see if we can swing a second one. :)

Btw, our FL discount was better than mousesavers or kingdom consultants. So, all is well. :)

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2011

What fun!

Now I get to combine two of my favorite topics: Christmas and Disney :)

On Christmas Eve, our kids exchange gifts with each other (so the cheaper gifts they get each other aren't overshadowed by the bigger Santa stuff.) So of course, we get the kids a gift from mom and dad as well.

This year, each of my kids will receive the mandatory PJs', and a robe. But then they're also getting a group Disney gift for our August trip:
    - a new set of Mistymate misters http://www.amazon.com/MistyMate-Per...9UM8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323524247&sr=8-2 These are NECESSARY for a summer trip, and our old set bit the dust.

- The lastest edition of Birnbaum's Disney for Kids book. I'm a good influence; all 3 of my kids loving reading all about Disney. Last year Brian got 2 Disney trivia books

- A book I found (on sale, for $7 at Barnes and Noble) on hidden Mickeys

- Some pins for trading

- A drawstring backpack. I got 5 of them, in assorted colors, at amazon for something like $3 each. The kids can pick numbers out of a hat to choose colors.

- A set of Disney gift cards

- I just added Disney Universe for the Wii, on sale at amazon for $30 with free shipping.

Oops, I knew I forgot something. I also got them each a cheap digital camera. It was at the www.onesaleaday.com website back in the fall. Our MAIN pictures will be from Peter and Photopass. But a little digital camera each will add to the fun. They were something like $5 each.

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 10, 2011

Do people trade pins with each other at Disney? Not quite sure what the "pins to trade" are. So as a newby to the whole Disney visiting thing, enlighten me!

Oh and I know you mentioned at some point where you got autograph books from. Can you share again please?

15. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Dec 10, 2011

There are some people that trade pins with other guests, but when I was there most trading happened between guests and cast members (park employees). It is a lot of fun, because there are so many different pins and oftentimes the cast members have very unique pins to trade as well.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2011

http://www.laughingplacestore.com/Category-RC-791.asp

There are the autograph books, though you may do better at Michael's or AC Moore. Get a click Sharpie to go with them; the characters wearing gloves have an easier time with a Sharpie than a pen.

If you want to get a few pins, take a look at www.mousepinsonline.com . I ususally order a grabbag; those we don't love we trade.

But know that you can have a marvelous time without bothering.

17. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2011

We didn't trade pins when we went but we did purchase quite a few for the unique rides that we enjoyed - Small World of course. Buying pins is a family tradition started when my kids were very small and I was a SAHM so money was tight. We really wanted to go places and buying a pin at the gift shop was an affordable souvenir.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2011

From www.allears.net:

"Ok, so how does this pin trading work???

First, and perhaps the simpliest is: Guests can trade any pin or button with other Guests. You make your own deals....no rules or guidelines....just use common coutesty and respect.

Trading with Cast Members -- Cast Members who are trading pins walk around with a Lanyard around their neck. The Lanyard has 12 pins available to trade with guests. If you want to trade with a cast member, there are a few rules to follow.

Any metal Disney Pin can be traded with a cast member! These pins are described as cloisonne type pins. They typically have a clasp backing. Buttons are not available to trade with Cast Members. Buttons typically have the safety pin attachment on the back.

You make one for one trades with a Cast Member. The Cast Member can not refuse to trade you as long as you are trading a legitimate Disney pin. Special Cast Member pins are not acceptable for trading with Cast Members. ( Don't worry, if you had one of these, you probably wouldn't want to trade it anyway!)

Remember - not just any ol' pin will do, it MUST be a Disney pin (almost all of these say Disney on the back).

Recently Disney "Partner" Pins were acceptable for trading with Cast Members -- these include Planet Hollywood pins, McDonalds, Rainforest Cafe and a few others. Pins with names on them are not acceptable for trading. Imagine going up to a Cast Member only to find their entire Lanyard is full of pins that say Mom, Dad, Bob and Judy! You wouldn't want them and neither does anyone else.

Deb's Pin Trading Suggestions

Go through your Disney pins at home and see if there are any you are no longer interested in keeping. These will provide a good start!

Visit a local TDS (Disney Store) where Millennium Pins are sold for $4 each; plus tax, less your Magic Kingdom Club Discount.

If you live near or visit one of the other Disney parks, pick up a couple extra pins to bring to WDW to trade with. My New York Disney Store pins were very popular.

If you absolutely refuse to get caught up in the frenzy before you leave home and it takes hold of you once you're at WDW, pins will cost you approximately $6 each.

Lanyards are a great way to show off your pins and notice other traders, but believe me, it gets heavy around your neck after a few hours. Be carefull -- the pin backs sometimes get loose and fall off and the next thing you know, your pin is gone too. If you find a back that is loose, take a small piece of napkin and place it on the hole, then insert the pin back...this should help. I now keep a few pins on my lanyard -- let's folks know I am interested in pin trading -- and have put my most of my trading pins in a pin traders book. It's much easier to keep that in my backpack then around my neck! LOL!

Parents - encourage your children to trade...it's great fun. At the same time, Be Alert -- while most everyone is honest and having a great time, I did run into a couple guests who showed me what they thought was a very exclusive limited pin which they traded for. Turns out it wasn't very exclusive or limited at all!! Trade for pins you like....not ones you think are "worth something". This isn't the Stock Market..but a way to have a great time!"

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2012

The YES schedule is out, though registration hasn't opened yet.

How cool. My kids get to take a 3 hour behind the scenes class, and we save $740 :) That's in addition to the $800 or so we saved with the PIN code.

What's not to love???

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2012

Sounds fabulous!

21. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jan 12, 2012

Alice, I hope your kids really enjoy it. One of my good friends is a YES cast member and he always has interesting things to share about his experiences! :)

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2012

Alice... keeping a rubber band where your new blank page in autograph book is helpful as well!!! It keeps you from searching for that page everytime!!! Plus kids can't lose the page either!!! LOL!!!

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2012

Cool idea Diz!!!

Though Kira will be 9 by August; I'm not sure the autorgraphs will be as important to her as they were in the past, and I'm doubtful that the older 2 will care for them at all.

Then again, I've been wrong before.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2012

In a few weeks, it will be our 180 day mark. That means, believe it or not, it's time to make our dining reservations (ADRs) for our August trip.

In case anyone wants to vacation vicariously through us, here's my tentative list as of today-- certainly subject to change: (I've bolded the ones we've been to before that we know we want to return to.)

Chef Mickey’s
    Yak and Yetti lunch

Sci Fi Diner--(This is the day Peter will have Lunch with an Imagineer, so it will probably be me and the kids at lunch instead of a big family dinner.)
    Hoop de Do Revue
    Whispering Canyon
    Cape May Seafood Buffet
    Le Cellier

Here are the menus:
    http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

We've also enjoyed The Coral Reef, but I'm thiking of dropping that this year. Now that Julia is on the adult menu, I'm just not sure what she would eat there.

Also, for what it's worth, we're NOT on the dining plan this time around.

25. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2012

Keep posting your plans Alice. I'm definitely living vicariously. We absolutely loved the Sci Fi Diner when my kids were about your kids' ages. We didn't do the dining plan when we went. We took the auto train south and filled the car with beverages, snacks, and breakfast supplies. We managed ok but I think I would have enjoyed not worrying about what we were spending on food. Mostly, we ate light at the parks and ended up sharing a pizza at the hotel (Animal Kingdom Lodge). Kids were happy and it was the cheapest thing at the parks. I got a little bored.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2012

I love the dining plan.

But if we get YES tickets, it means we can't get a Magic Your Way package, so no dining plan.

Instead, I think we'll dump $2000 onto a debit card, and simply pretend we're on the dining plan.

We always place an order through www.gardengrocer.com -- we get bottled water and breakfasty items for the room as well as park snacks. It's well worth it-- aside from the money we save, it's a huge convenience.

But I do love one sit down meal each day when no one is looking at a watch, trying to figure out whether or not we can get our next Fastpass. It's certainly not cost effective. But those few hours together, sharing a meal and conversation, are important in terms of the family vacation we're trying to create.

27. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2012

The restaurants are all so interesting too! Why waste the experience eating pizza? At Animal Kingdom there was a buffet with foods from Africa (and also American specialties) but they also had a more expensive alternative. That was all in addition to the cafe.

28. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jan 14, 2012

Alice, we went for our week at Christmas and had a blast. Like you, we like to have one sit down meal each day. Off the feet, in the AC, looking at each other (as opposed to the back of the head in a line) and having a conversation that doesn't include anyone in line who'd like to join us. (which is fine, but we do relish our family time too).

We did Sci Fi as well. It's one of my daughter's favs. Hoop Dee Doo (not sure of spelling-sorry) was the best thing we ever did. (Not because of the food, though it is okay, but because of the fun my daughter had. It was great and I'll never forget the look on her face when the actors came to our table.) I definitely recommend paying the extra money to be on the main floor. We've done it both ways. Since if appears likely you do a Disney forum, you likely know that getting over to the place takes a little time, so make some allowances for that. When we went they also had photographers with whom you could do a photo. We elected not to do so, but it was very cute. (Think along the lines of the types of photos they do at character breakfasts). We also tried Kona Cafe at the Polynesian Resort and found it to be a nice meal with yummy, yummy bread. Le Cellier is tough to get in, so try on Day 180 as early as you are able.
    I am glad to see you still thinking and planning for a fun trip. It makes me smile and live vicariously, so keep posting!

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2012

Here's my trick with LeCellier:

It DOES book up quickly. (Though maybe less so this summer, since dinner counts as 2 credits on the meal plan.)

You're allowed to book 180 days from the start of your trip, for a total of 10 days worth of meals.

I ALWAYS put LeCellier at the end of my trip. Fewer people will have had access to the date by then-- only people arriving on the same date as us. And my travel agent will phone in my ADRs at 7 am on our 180 day mark.

We liked Kona Cafe last time too. Probably not enough to trade in something else for it, but it was a nice meal.

Actually it was my sister who suggested Hoop Dee Doo-- it looks like so much fun!!

30. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2012

How is the park in August? I want to take my sister this year. I did NOT want to go in July or August, but it looks like I might not have a choice. I am worried about heat and humidity, and it looks like there are not as many good deals as there are other times of the year.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2012

I won't kid you--it's hot and humid.

But here's what we do:

We're at the parks EVERY day before "rope drop"-- that's the opening. Those first few hours are GOLDEN-- you can get so much done!

Then, at about 1, we stop for lunch. We go back to the resort and spend the afternoon in the pool.

By 5:30 or so we're showering, refreshed and ready for the evening.

The worst part of the day, in terms of crowds and heat and humidity, is the part we spend in the pool.

The past few years they've offered free dining late in August-- too late for us, but it may work for you. Check here; http://www.mousesavers.com/historicalwdwdiscounts.html

And think about taking advantage of the incredible teacher discount at the Swan and Dophin: http://www.swandolphin.com/offers/teachers/index.html You can get a room in a Deluxe resort down the block from Epcot for something like $130 per night.

You can save more money if you and your sister takes one of the YES classes; you'll be able to cut the price of park tickets pretty much in half.

32. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2012

Sounds like several of you are planning August trips this year. We should all have an A to Z reunion at Disney. Those of us who live here would just have to take a day off from school to go play! Any excuse to go to Disney!! :haha:

33. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2012

How do you do YES with one kid? I was looking at the site and it looks like it is just for groups of 10 or more. (We did YES when we took the kids for the senior trip and it was awesome.)

34. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2012

Oh, I found something about individual enrollment...

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2012

WE could certainly do at least a Photopass share.

Photopass is a service Disney offers. Professional photographers are in the parks, will take your picture for free, and give you a card with a bar code on it. They'll also do some trick shots, inserting Tink or Simba into some of the photos.

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disneysphotopass/

You can then buy the CD with all the pictures on it. It normally runs $149, though you can sometimes get a special...right now the special is running $99 if you pre-purchase it. That's the price I've gotten before.

But if 3 of us were to split it, it would be a whole lot more affordable. I've done a share before with my sister and friend. There's no realistic limit to the number of cards that could be on one account.

The only downside is that you would be trusting me with pictures of your families. Peter would cull through the bar code numbers and send each person all the pictures that had been on their own card(s).

Let me know if you guys are interested, and I'll give you more details.

And Silver, here's the link to individual enrollment:

http://www.disneyyouth.com/individual-enrollment/catalog/?location[]=WDW&filter=startDate

Silver, if you're seriously thinking about this, give me the particulars-- your sister's age, the dates you're thinking about, lenght of trip, etc, and let me play with numbers for you. I'll be out a good part of the day, but it looks like a fun project for tonight or tomorrow. You could always PM anything you don't want to post online. I took my youngest sister when she was about 16, and it's still a fond memory for both of us.

36. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 14, 2012

Alice has been helping me plan my trip :). We're not firm on our dates but it'll be approx 8/12 to 8/19. We'd go a week later but I have to be back at work on 8/21. Since it has to be a summer trip we're choosing as late in August as possible for us as everything I've read says the crowds go down the later in August it is, and it's gosh darn hot no matter when in August it is.

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2012

To be honest, I hope this doesn't come off as unfriendly, but I'm not sure I want to do a meet up.

We've been planning this trip for almost a year. It's family time that's hard to come by in the day to day craziness of life with three kids.

I'm probably being selfish, but I'm not sure I want to share that family time with people my family doesn't know. (Yeah, I know that technically I don't know you either, but I feel as though I do.)

We may have to meet up with Peter's cousins who live near Orlando, but I honestly really want this to be about the 5 of us. Even when my vacation has overlapped with my sister's, we were pretty careful to keep the vacations pretty separate; they overlapped by only one day.

I do apologize if that reads as selfish or unfriendly.

38. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2012

I feel the same way. I have been promising this trip to my sister for awhile. I wouldn't want to force her to go meet a bunch of people she doesn't know. I totally understand.

39. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 14, 2012

Alice, I hear what you're saying and agree, I see it as a family time as well. I do like the idea of saving some money on the photopass though, can you PM me the details on how we'd do that? I looked at the link and read the info there, and it looks like a good way to get photos.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2012

It's really so very cool. Their photographers are all over the place-- at the entrance to the park, in front of the icons of each of the parks (Cinderella's castle, Spaceship Earth at Epcot, the Sorcerer's hat at Hollywood studios and by the Tree of Life at Animal Kingdom) as well as at the character meet and greets and a lot of other places. They'll take pictures for anyone who feels like posing.

Once we all get out dates down, I'll keep track and open an account. Once everyone is back, we can all down load our numbers, make changes (add borders and autographs, and some special effects, like Tinkerbell). Then we'll order the CD. Once it's in, Peter will separate them by number and we'll get each of you a copy of your pictures.

If Ms Mar, Silverspoon and I do it, it will cost each family $30 for a CD that normally runs $150. And there's no limit to the number of pictures on a CD.

Think about it, take a look at the Stitchkingdom site, and let me know.

And I'm relieved you guys agree about arranging a meeting.

OK, that was a LONG day of packing up mom's house. Peter and Julia are still on their way home and my van is PACKED full. It's too cold and late to unpack it; I'll do it all tomorrow.

Right now I can barely see straight. Silver, if you're interested I'll get you those numbers tomorrow some time.