Last night at dinner, Peter said the magic words:

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

I'm still waiting, semi-patiently, for them to open up the Wishes Dessert Party bookings for August.If I don't get it, it won't be the end of the world, but we really enjoyed it last time.

Those of you who are also going this summer, how are your plans coming along?

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

August is now open if anyone else was waiting! We have our reservations!!!

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 12, 2012

Thanks for the heads up! I've been leaning towards doing this as I know the kids would LOVE it.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2012

5. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jun 13, 2012

i have to look into that dessert party???

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2012

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

So, those of you who are going this summer-- are there any particular things you want to pick up for yourself?

I lost my last Disney watch trick-or-treating, so I'll be getting a replacement. I like a nice gold watch, not something that screams "DISNEY WORLD." The one I lost was gorgeous, and very understated.

When Peter went on the Senior trip, he picked up a silicone muffin tin for me-- 6 Mickey Mouse heads. I seldom make muffins, but we make ice all the time, and it is the world's best ice cube tray. The ice cubes are huge-- perfect for a big glass of soda or ice water. I may very well pick up another.

How about you??

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2012

Doing the happy dance!

Today we got our documentation for Disney's Magical Express.

If you're staying at one of the Disney resorts, you can check your bags at your home airport. A few hours after your free shuttle to the resort, your bags will appear in your room-- no need to pick them up at baggage return. For the trip home, it's another free ride, and no handling of your baggage-- check them at your resort, then pick them up after you land.

34 more days. Not that I'm wishing away my summer, but it's getting closer!!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2012

One of the teachers at school is going to Disney for 13 days this summer--11 days at the parks! He was telling us about the Magical Express at lunch the other day; what a luxury!

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

Magical Express is so nice--it made it possible for my mom and I to fly there from different cities and not have to worry about trying to coordinate our airport times!

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

We have decided to do October instead. I found a week where little sister has a long weekend, so we will be able to go with her only missing a couple days of school. I hate doing that, but this is not something we are in the habit of doing, she is an honor student, and we will get all of her work ahead of time so I think we will be ok. I have enough personal days so I should be good too. I just think we will have a much more enjoyable experience with smaller crowds and less heat.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

Alice, have you eaten at Boma? Thought we might make reservations there as an homage to my other sister who is in Africa and won't be able to join us on our Disney adventure.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2012

No, I haven't. But it's gotten great reviews.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2012

A little gift for those of us going during Hurricane Season.

First of all, don't sweat it. Orlando is inland, not on the coast. And the Disney resorts have been built to withstand storms; it's said that the locals go to Disney resorts if they're concerned.

But when Tropical Storm Faye visited on our last day in 2008, I was understandably a bit concerned. We kept an eye on the news. But all the information concerning watches and warnings were listed by county, and without a map I had no idea which county we were in.

So print this up and bring it along, just in case:
    http://www.insideflorida.com/images/florida/fl_counties_bg.png

Thanks to answerbag.com, I can tell you that "The Walt Disney World Resort is within the boundaries of two counties: Orange County and unincorporated Osceola County."

You'll probably never need that information. But on the off chance that a tropical storm does coincide with your trip, it's nice to know.

For what it's worth, Faye brought us our BEST day-- the parks all opened early (anticipating an early closure) and the parks were totally empty. We donned our ponchos (brought from Walmart, though the dollar store sells them too... I bring 3 apiece) and had a marvelous time.

15. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2012

Ive eaten at boma (I thought it was fine...but I'm the pickiest eater ever and am happy with chicken fingers) my aunt and grandma loved it and went back again without me.