Last Minute Pop-Up Jobs!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Smithville, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Smithville

Smithville Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

I'm still searching for an Early Childhood job in Ohio, and in the last week, jobs are popping up EVERYWHERE! The schools ARE NOT posting them on the County websites. You have to go to the district sites. I have a zillion schools saved on my Favorites List on my computer and I check them at least once a day. I just applied to four jobs this morning!

Don't give up!!!

I got a call to interview for a second grade charter school. (I've taught second grade in a charter school for a year right after graduation.) I don't know what to expect, but I DO know that I JUST WANT TO TEACH. :wub:

It doesn't have to be my dream school, right?

The interivew is tomorrow morning, so I have my fingers crossed that this is the school where I can be happy to teach and to make a difference. :)

3. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Aug 12, 2010

We have just finished enrollment and we had over 20 kids on the Pre-K waiting list. I just heard this morning they are making a new class to get all the kids in district in school! So yes there are jobs popping up!

I had been hoping to find another job(I drive over 100 miles each day!) but no luck so I stay where I'm at for another year!

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

Good luck with your interview!

5. Smithville

Smithville Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Update!

The interview went great and I was offered the position! I've accepted the position "verbally," but the pay isn't so hot.

I have mixed feelings :cool:

I don't want to sound ungrateful, because I feel VERY lucky at this point. However, I've worked at a charter school before and so now I'm scared that I'll make the same mistake twice. Everyone is so nice, and I'm hoping it's not "too good to be true."

Honestly, I just want to take the job because I REALLY want to teach in my OWN CLASSROOM for a change instead of subbing.

It's such a big decision. School starts in two weeks, so I am going to think about it this weekend and make a decision Monday I suppose.

Boy, oh boy!

For once it feels nice not be rejected! :wub:

6. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

Wow, congratulations! If you were to turn the job down what would you do instead? Would you make more subbing? Is it worth taking a pay cut to have your own classroom? Good luck with your decision!

7. CLESprtsFan

CLESprtsFan Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Congratulations fellow Ohioan! If you don't mind me asking what area of Ohio are you from? Best of luck in making the right decision for you.

8. Smithville

Smithville Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

I would make at least DOUBLE what I do as a substitute teacher. (As I typed that, I realized how dumb I sound. Of course I should take the job!:dizzy:)

My goal is to get into a public school district, specifically the ones I sub in. The salary on Step Zero is around $40,000 for a public school. The only way to really get into the district is by subbing. I've made incredible connections in the schools I've subbed in. The problem is that there just weren't any open jobs this year. Bad luck, I suppose. I've done three long terms in the district.

So if I don't take the job, I'll definitely go back to subbing.

9. Smithville

Smithville Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Cincinnati Area :D

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 13, 2010

Congrats from a charter school teacher in the middle of the state!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2010

Congratulations!

12. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

I would take it. As you even said, there is not alot of opporunities for you right now that have come up so I wouldnt let this one go by. I would love to make 40k but in IL for starting teachers (especially for ec teachers) that just doesnt happen. I didnt go in to this for pay though and when I was offered a position I said yes without even hearing what I was going to get paid. Im just happy to not having to work as a waitress anymore :) Good luck to you and your decision!

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 14, 2010

congratulations.

i understand your doubts...but YES, take the job. And SHOULD you ever (within this year) question your decision to take THIS job... consider it the experience to get the NEXT job.

You are a teacher! Congratulations. So many here, and throughout the country, envy your fortune today (and rightfully so)!

14. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Aug 14, 2010

I understand your reservations. I just spent a terrible year at a charter school. The students were challenging, but fine. The admin and whole foundation was a nightmare. As little pay and as many hours as possible. I am not trying to complain because I learned so much about why I became a teacher and it has made me really trust my intuition. At that job, I made as much as a sub so it wasn't financially advantageous for me.
    My advice: really think about what you want and trust your intuition.

15. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

Cincinnati's a crazy place to try to get a teaching job. Congratulations on the job offer!!