last minute NYC public school vacancies?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by yessc31, Aug 28, 2007.

1. yessc31

yessc31 Companion

Aug 28, 2007

I was just wondering if anyone is doing/heard of last minute vacancies in the New York City public school system? Im calling schools up and faxing resumes, hoping there are last minute positions. I have an interview tomorrow so hopefully i will get it!

3. obro

obro Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

There are definately last minute openings in NYC. Many people bail out at the last minute for jobs in the suburbs. I hate myself for it but I did.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2007

Don't hate yourself....:)

So many teachers I sat next to in orientation today did the same thing.

One person told me NYC orientation passed already and there were 3000 people

5. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 28, 2007

LoL. I probably will end up bailing myself (if something else better comes along.) Not the best ADVICE, but hey, it happens. So don't beat yourself up. Probably got a better offer, right?

And def there are ALWAYS last minute positions. I was called for an interview this morning for this afternoon!

6. obro

obro Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

I always wanted to work in the city but I got an unexpected offer from a district on LI. The money difference, combined with much shorter commute made it impossible to pass up.
    I have so much respect for NYC teachers who work for less with less resources. I just had to put my family first. Oh well maybe I will get fired and can go back to the city! (just kidding)

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2007

I couldn't wait to leave the city. :D

8. yessc31

yessc31 Companion

Aug 29, 2007

ugh i didnt get the the job today. i did have another last minute interview but i have to report to my school tomorrow so basically im stuck teaching at the school from hell for another year.i'm trying to be positive but so many people have left and its hard to keep my morale up when im told i'm an awful teacher and should find a new career =(

9. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 29, 2007

My students (well one of my students-10th grade) told me "maybe you just shouldn't teach..." Of course this was after my absence and them learning they still had a final coming up. Eh, comes with the territory. Don't wish i were back there though. Don't sweat it. You're great no matter what!!

10. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Sep 7, 2007

Those of you who are still applying last minute to schools in NYC where are you finding schools with vacancies. I would love to continue to interview and find a chance out of the charter school from hell that I'm working at, but I don't know where to look.

11. obro

obro Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

Lillebe, Here is a link to the NYC job openings. On the right select teacher and then subject area. It is listed by district so look at the map first.

http://www.nycenet.edu/offices/dhr/rms/ext/Jobsinfo.aspx

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND adding the site to favorites! I have tried to find it many times when not on my own computer and dont know how. Maybe it is just me but its sort of hidden away somewhere on the nyc site. good luck

12. obro

obro Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

I forgot ----make sure you only register once--keep your info--i made a mistake and eventually had to call to fix the problem. Not so easy-- Also just so you know when you click on a specific job for more info-there really isnt too much more. I say this so you wont bother registering until you want to--i guess you will see what i mean. There are lots of jobs though.