Last minute jobs???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Purposeinteach, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Purposeinteach

Purposeinteach Rookie

Aug 20, 2012

Alrighty, two weeks from tomorrow is the start of most schools here in MI. I have had a few interviews and am waiting to hear back from schools when they said they would inform me either way if I got the position or not.

There are also new jobs being posted every couple of days with it being so close to the start of the school year which leads me to think that there are some schools who will need to be doing some last minute hiring.

How close to the start of school did you get your job AND how did you get it? (through emailing a principal, mailing packets, a certain amount of weeks after an interview, etc.)

Thanks!!! It will help relieve SOME of my stress to know that other people found out days before school starts.

3. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Aug 20, 2012

I don't have a job yet. I think you should apply to positions that are opening up ASAP. Don't wait to apply even if it says closing date in a week. I applied for a job last week and the closing date was today and the interviews were today! I would also call the schools you are waiting to hear from.

4. Purposeinteach

Purposeinteach Rookie

Aug 20, 2012

Trust me, I have done anything and everything in my power.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2012

My principal was interviewing this morning--school starts the Tuesday after Labour Day.

6. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 20, 2012

i was told i got the position on Friday. This is a brand new grade level and subject area for me. It's only Monday but I'm still waiting to be called to start the sign on process with my contract. This is one of the largest school districts in my state with over 40 schools so I know they are busy. I'm preparing for things on my end as much as I can, but I'm not going in and full force until I sign that contract. I also need to receive the curriculum. We also start in 2 weeks. Panic/Stress/Excitement has definitely set in!

Good luck to you all

7. NS317453

NS317453 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

I received a call on Monday afternoon for an interview later this morning (8:30).

I dropped off an application at the beginning of summer, so this seems strange. I'm glad to have the opportunity though.

8. yeahimateacher

yeahimateacher Rookie

Aug 29, 2012

I just received an offer for a position yesterday and school starts the day after tomorrow. I had the interview last Friday...

I applied online submitted EVERY required document online as well (scanned) and got the call for the interview. It took a month and a half for me to get the call just to interview. Its the 4th largest district in my state...

Dont give up hope...I almost did.:)

9. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Aug 30, 2012

School began August 6th here and my start date was August 1st. I was interviewed the week prior, and offered the job 2 hours after the interview. It took the Board a week to get together to approve new hires.
    It was crazy how it worked out. Our district has a lot of issues and they hired a boatload of teachers 5 days before day 1 of school.
    I had applied for jobs last year, got an interview and job offer after school started, but then had the offer rescended when they had surplus teachers to fill positions from within.
    So my application was still on file and I got the call. I really didnt expect it. Had planned on not working this school year!

10. newsciteach23

newsciteach23 Rookie

Sep 1, 2012

Last year (my 1st year of teaching) I got an interview a week after school started. Didn't get the job until a month after students started school.

This year I started looking for new jobs. I got called in for an interview the Friday before students started. The school is still trying to make a decision for the new candidate and students have been in school for 2 weeks already.

11. Purposeinteach

Purposeinteach Rookie

Sep 1, 2012

Thanks!!! That is definitely encouraging! School starts for us in 3 days for the schools here in MI and I've spoken with a couple of people who have said the school that I am really interested in is still interviewing for positions. Not sure if that is a bunch of BS or not. I just wish they would tell it straight up!

12. newsciteach23

newsciteach23 Rookie

Sep 2, 2012

That is definitely very frustrating! But stick it out and I'm sure something will come you're way!

13. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Sep 3, 2012

I was once hired for a contracted position four days before school started. My current district is still hiring at the high school level and for some part time certified jobs. Don't give up!

14. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2012

My first year teaching, I got my position on September 25, which was over a month after the first day of school. Those last minute jobs are out there! Also, sometimes if a teacher doesn't come back after having a baby or some other life change happens, there are open positions that they weren't planning for...