Last Minute Interview

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachCreateInspire, Jul 16, 2018.

1. TeachCreateInspire

TeachCreateInspire Rookie

Jul 16, 2018

I got a call tonight from a school that wants me to come interview in the morning. My last few interviews I have choked and gotten so nervous that I blew the interview. I really want this job! I need advice on how to calm my nerves and any tips on what I can do to stand out and land this job.

3. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Jul 16, 2018

I've found that the more I want a job, the more pressure I put on myself. Just tell yourself that you don't want it...it's practice...you're playing a part...whatever it takes. The one thing that drives me nuts is when I try to be light and humorous and I'm greeted with stern "teacher faces." I think all you can do is your best. Take your time answering questions. Smile.

4. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 16, 2018

I agree. If at all possible, just say to yourself that this is practice and I don't care if I get this job. Of course, do your best and be yourself. Remember if you can't be yourself this school is not for you!

bella84 likes this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2018

I was thinking this too. When I've really wanted a position, I get way too anxious and don't end up doing well. When I'm not really sure how badly I want the position yet (maybe don't know much about the school, or the grade/position isn't my favorite, etc.) I do very well because I'm relaxed and just treat it as a conversation. Remember you're interviewing them as well! It might sound counterintuitive, but maybe try thinking of reasons you might not want the job or "cons" for this specific position or school. Tell yourself that this interview is no big deal, because you'll have other opportunities that could be way better than this one.

You may also find practicing in front of a mirror or with a friend helps. Personally, I never want to practice answering questions too much because I don't want my answers to sound rehearsed, and I don't want to get caught off guard when inevitably a question is asked that I haven't practiced for. However, I have friends who really like this technique.

Some people also do really well with positive affirmations...I feel too silly doing that, but my teammate swears by them, and it doesn't hurt to try. Try saying them out loud in the car on the way to your interview.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 16, 2018

Luckily, the interview is in the morning, so you don't have much time to get yourself worked up. First, lots of deep breaths. Somewhere out there is the right job for you and when it's meant to be, it will happen. This may or may not be it. (For your sake, I hope it is! This process can be tough!)

In order to stand out, tell lots of stories. Answer every question with a real example of a time you dealt with a similar situation. They ask about numeracy - tell stories about how you adapted lessons on the fly to meet the needs of your learners. They ask a question about parent communication - tell a story about a time you used exemplary communication and were able to prevent a disaster from happening. They ask about classroom management - you tell a story about a really difficult student that you formed a relationship with and had a positive year with.

Good luck!!!

txbelle likes this.
  7. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 16, 2018

Just tell yourself they are just people like you and me. They get nervous and go through the same interview processes too. At this point of the summer, most teachers are locked in their contracts. Its easier to get hired late summer due to less competition.

RaiderFan87 likes this.