Last minute interview.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by alifoo, Aug 12, 2011.

1. alifoo

alifoo Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

After pretty much giving up on a teaching position for this school year, I just received a phone call from a school 2 1/2 hours away from me to interview for a position on Monday. My main concern is that the teachers have been back for a few weeks and the students went back last week. Would getting caught up be terribly difficult? Has anyone had any similar experiences? Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2011

Lots of people are praying for that call. Two and a half weeks isn't all that much.

Absolutely, take the interview and get that job!!!

Good luck!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2011

I have started twice after the school year started. Just act as if your first day with them is the first day of school. And it's a job!!! Definitely go for it.

5. alifoo

alifoo Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm definitely taking the interview! I'm just nervous about starting my first year teaching in a new city a few weeks into the school year. It seems pretty challenging, but I'm up for it.

6. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Aug 12, 2011

Good luck!

7. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 12, 2011

There is not much teaching going on the first week anyway. We played get-to-know games, reviewed class rules, took a school tour.

8. NikkiT

NikkiT Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

I started last year after the kids had been back for 3 weeks. The only thing that was difficult about my situation was that I was taking over for someone who had been a T.A. at the school in years past and was hired as a teacher for that year. However, they were trying to hire her before she had actually finished her M.A.T (I guess she was going to be her own cooperating teacher for student teaching???--she hadn't student taught or finished her last couple of classes yet)

Anyway, my grade-level team was not super friendly (to say the least) w/ me because they were so upset about the situation and thought that their friend should have been allowed to keep her classroom. Also, the kids (first-graders) had, naturally, become quite attached to her. So, it was not very fun for me. Oh, and I felt like I had to prove to parents that I, the fully-licensed teacher, knew what I was doing.

Don't get me wrong, I was extremely grateful to get the job (the state that I come from is really competitive and I applied for this out-of-state job at the end of summer when I began to panic) and I would do it again. If hired, I would just go into it fully knowing the situation. It could be a situation where the classes have gotten too big and they'll take a few kids from each existing class and give you your own. I think that would be way better than a situation like the one I had.

Good luck!

9. BlueskyFL

BlueskyFL Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

Whether it's a difficult situation or a walk in the park, a position at any school would be a blessing. (At least to me :blush:)

Think of it as an exciting challenge. Something to add to that future autobiography! :thumb:

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2011

I'm teaching within the first two and a half weeks. The OP should be prepared to quickly set up procedures and routines, roll up her sleeves, and get right to work.:2cents:

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2011

After 2 1/2 weeks, I've given a test and probably 3 quizzes.

My first quiz is on day # 3.

12. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Aug 12, 2011

Go to the interview and rock it! A teaching job is a teaching job. :)

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 12, 2011

I was hired two weeks after the school year. You will be fine. A job is a WONDERFUL thing!

14. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2011

I was hired 30 days into the school year! I did as an above poster said, started teaching my rules and procedures, and then pick up where the sub left off! It is not any harder than starting at the beginning of the year! Good luck! I hope you get it!