Last minute curriculum changes??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by missrebecca, Aug 19, 2015.

1. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Aug 19, 2015

I've dealt with this every new school year, at 2 different schools -- admin requiring a change of curriculum at the last minute. This year, we were notified a week before school started. The two years before that, it was about a month into school, when we'd already been implementing another curriculum. I'm talking brand new textbooks, materials we'd never seen before, no trainings before implementing it -- just jumping right into the unknown.

Honestly, I thought each change was for the best, but there was major pushback from the other teachers, particularly older ones who invested time in lesson plans/powerpoints/materials (understandably). Even though I was OK with the changes, it was a VERY stressful time, especially with all the other pressures of the new school year!

Is this common? Have you experienced last minute curriculum upheavals? Opinions?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 20, 2015

I think springing a completely new curriculum on teachers with no prep time or training is ridiculous.

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 20, 2015

We just got a new curriculum last week, and had a 1/2 day training on it before school. We were told, "You are required to teach to fidelity. Follow the teaching manual exact. Use the materials we have provided you."

But...We start teaching today with half the materials the students needed and the other half we don't need. We also just found out (school starts today) that we're supposed to have copies of certain things to use with the curriculum. I'm pretty sure copying 150+ items won't be happening, and teaching to "fidelity" as they require us to do, may not be happening as they had hoped.

Stressed? Yep.

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2015

It happens all the time. The Common Core Standards being a perfect example! Talk about building the plane while flying it.....