Last hired, first fired?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacher807, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Teacher807

Teacher807 Rookie

Sep 7, 2007

Is the last teacher hired normally the first one fired when there are budget cuts? Or could any new teacher be on the chopping block?

3. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Sep 7, 2007

That depends. My friend was in a situation where she was the last one hired and they needed to let someone go due to budget but she had been with the county longer so she wasn't the one to go.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2007

In my district, all non-tenured are in the 'same pool' so if there was someone who had to go they all could be considered...

5. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Sep 7, 2007

in my old district they used to keep track of the actual time that you accepted the job (not sign the contract) for this purpose. for instance, if i got a call saying they wanted to hire me for 4th grade at 10:45 and suzy got called at 10:46 for 4th grade (a different classroom), suzy would get the boot because she accepted later than i did.

crazy, but it's true!

LC

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 7, 2007

Wow! That's rough! Talk about a cut-throat environment!

7. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Sep 7, 2007

In my district any of the non-tentured teachers could lose their job if there are budget cuts.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2007

In my school board, if a school has surplus teachers due to declining enrollment, the teacher at that school,with the least seniority in the board is the first to go (not necessarily last to arrive at the school). Surplus teachers are guaranteed another position within our board; being declared redundant (losing your job completely due to enrollment) is almost unheard of. In our case, if possibly surplussed teachers were hired the same day, it is determined by "drawing lots" which is the one with the least seniority.

9. Teacher807

Teacher807 Rookie

Sep 7, 2007

I was hired 3 1/2 months before the other teacher. They have one year more experience than me. We are both new to the school. UGH.

10. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Sep 7, 2007

For us it's the last one to be approved by the board. Some schools do this alphabetically. I was cut 2 years ago as I was the only new elementary hire at the district. I'm also the last to be approved this year at a new district. :unsure: Of course that is constantly on my mind. However, there is a 1 year sub at the elementary school that was just hired, but pretty sure she'll be gone after a year, so I would still be the one to go.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 7, 2007

Aides for sure are last hired, first fired but this last time it didn't happen like that (thank you!).

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 7, 2007

Our contract spells this out.

13. eteach1

eteach1 Rookie

Sep 7, 2007

In my district they go by the day you're hired. A kindergarten teacher I work with was hired one or two days after I was. When we went through budget cuts a few years ago, she was very concerned that we may lose our job, but kept stating that she'd lose hers first because she was hired after I was. So... we follow that "last hired, first fired" rule unfortunately. Thank goodness we haven't had to cut anyone for a few years.

14. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Sep 7, 2007

If you signed a contract that have to give you another position! You might be moved, but at least you'll still have a job.

:sorry:

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2007

It is the same way here- where they will move you to another position in the district (because there are always positions open here). If you are not tenured, they do not have to renew your contract after that year (if the school you are moved to chooses not to).

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 8, 2007

When I taught in NYC I think they went by the time you were hired. So many teachers might be hired at once, that you could have seniority over someone who was hired ten minutes after you!

At least that is what I was told- correct me if I'm wrong.

17. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

My first year teaching I was hired in October, then in Feb. I was told they wouldn't have a position for me for the next year because I was the last hire and they had to make cuts. I was kept in the district though.

This year I gave up my district senoirity to move campuses so I could be in the same boat, lets hope the numbers don't change anytime soon.

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2007

In my district all non-tenured teachers are in the same boat. :blush:

19. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Sep 8, 2007

We are 100% seniority by certification. Last year I was one of 11 new teacher in my district. We had to pick numbers out of a hat to see the seniority order. I pulled 10. When the year ended we had lay offs and the person last on the list got to stay on because of certification and I didnt. I got called back before the person ahead of me because of certifacation. So the last two ended up getting called back before the 3rd from bottom did.

But on getting fired all non tenured are the same.

20. MrsAcord

MrsAcord Rookie

Sep 10, 2007

In my district, it is either the last new person who signed their contract. Or, part time people. It depends on the situation.