Last five minutes of class

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Splenda, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Splenda

Splenda Rookie

Jun 9, 2014

So...
    What is your last five minutes of class like before the bell rings?
    I like to use up all the time, then remind them of the homework assignment a minute before the bell rings, and let them pack up when the bell rings. I seem to lose them five minutes before though.

3. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 10, 2014

sometimes I try and do exit tickets. my two favorite is

ABC review: go through the class and they name something they remember from the lesson/ class that begins with that letter and explain the word.

and

3,2, 1 exit ticket

3 things learned
    2 connections with prior knowledge (can be another subject, learned yesterday, heard on the news, etc.)
    1 question (that they may still have or higher order thinking question that I might include on a test.

I try and get them to write in full sentences.

4. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 14, 2014

This grade needs lots of structure. Try to set up a routine that they follow. Copy down homework, complete exit ticket, pack up, sit quietly at desk till bell rings.

5. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jun 15, 2014

My students write a self reflection (I learned... I'm still confused anout... Or I wonder...) then we do a quick share out or I ask them to share in groups and decide who had the most thoughtful reflection

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2014

Most of the time I "give" my kids the last two minutes to pack up and line up. I start class before the bell each day with the promise that I'll give them that time back. I'd rather they come in focused immediately and give up time at the end then vice versa.

7. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 23, 2014

Same for me. I really don't like the chaos that happens when the bell rings and all of their stuff is still out. It's not fair to the ones who barely have enough time to traverse our enormous campus.

8. Splenda

Splenda Rookie

Jun 27, 2014

Thank you for saying this. I like to start early and use my 55 minutes. I really don't think it takes 5 minutes for a 12 or 13 yr old to put their binder in their backback.

I also don't want my class to be visiting when the neighbor classes are quiet, which they probably aren't!

Thanks for putting my focus on the kids who are slower. I just need to relax at that point, and no longer think of those 55 minutes as "mine."

9. mrs.whatsit

mrs.whatsit Rookie

Jul 31, 2014

I chunk the last minutes of class into a 10 minute increment. The first 4 minutes are devoted to the exit ticket. The expectation is that students are working silently and individually. When the timer goes off, my students switch their exit ticket with their elbow partner. For two minutes we correct the exit ticket, respond to any confusion and then pass the tickets forward to me. The last three minutes of class students write their homework in their agenda and then line up to be dismissed. Hope this helps!