Last Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Miss W, May 27, 2005.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 27, 2005

Today was our last day! My last students just left. I'm glad to see some of them go, while others I'll really miss. I'll get to see them next year because they will be in the same building. I never knew how clean my room could get because students were gone. I still have a few more things to do up here. I'll probably come up here tomorrow. We are suppost to have everything done by 4:00 today and checkout. I was really stressing out because I was gone yesterday for my dad's surgery. I just happened to be talking with a veteran teacher and she said not to worry about it. She keeps her key and comes up here after school until she's satisfied everything is done. That's a relief to me.

3. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 27, 2005

Our last day with kids was Wednesday (supposed to be Monday but hurricanes kinda messed that up). I have been busy packing my room because I am moving to a new school next year. It has been a crazy end to the year. One more day and I will be done for the summer.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 27, 2005

Our last day was today!!! We went to the Rapids (water park) and I am sunburned but otherwise unscathed. I had the kids clean the room really well on Wednesday. Last night was promotion/graduation at a theater and very beautiful. This was my favorite class of all and a few are leaving the school. I will miss them terribly. I'm already planning my summer tutoring schedule. Sessions will start on the 7th. Next week we have 3 teacher workdays. I have been summoned for jury duty, though.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 27, 2005

We have 4 more days. Today, we did an assembly and the last hour of te day was field day... this was a new endeavor for us (we're a tiny school in an office park, and haven't been allowed outside our building for very long... it's a long story!), but it turned out GREAT!! The kids had a LOT of fun... we're off Monday, then have 3 days of regular class, and then Friday is our picnic... it's a half day, and many of the parents come. This year has FLOWN!

Hopefully, I'll have my own class next year (*keeping fingers crossed*)

6. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 28, 2005

Ouch - we have 3 weeks left! June 17th is our final day - a half day at least!

7. MLB

MLB New Member

May 28, 2005

Even worse...we are not done until June 24th...YIKES!

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 28, 2005

We don't get out to June 27th. Snow Days!

9. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

May 28, 2005

Last day for the kids is this Thursday. I have to go in for 1/2 day on Friday, then we go to an End of Year Luncheon with the entire staff. I am really really sad. This has been a fantastic year and my class was beyond amazing. I'm ready for the break, though.

Havin' a Luau on Wednesday with the entire Kindergarten! Woohoo!! :D

10. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

May 28, 2005

We get out June 2nd
    Can't wait!

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 28, 2005

My kids graduate on the 14th. We will have a picnic on the 15th. 1st-7 graders leave on the 16th and I have to stay till the 17th

12. lowrie

lowrie Companion

May 29, 2005

I've got you beat! :p

Though our last day of classes is morning only, our schools are in session until June 30th every year...and we have NO snow days :eek:

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 29, 2005

The end of the year is so intense, and it builds day by day. It heightens the appreciation of the end but it is so exhausting.

14. ~Darlene~

~Darlene~ Rookie

May 29, 2005

Our last day is June 7th and we are taking the 4th and 5th grade classes to Kings Dominion that day :rolleyes:

Last day for teachers is the 9th. Woo hoo!!!

15. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

May 29, 2005

yes but...

What day did you go BACK to school?

WE go back August 19 here... Ok kids do, teachers August 10

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 29, 2005

Kids come back August 19th for us too. We come back on August 8th. I'm not sure how I feel about starting on a Friday. Have you ever done that before? In my mind it will be like have two 1st days.

17. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

May 29, 2005

I've done it before it has it's ups
    you have an entire day you can devote to getting books out going over rules, etc. (at least on the secondary level) and get a good start on Monday.

18. helpinghand

helpinghand Rookie

May 30, 2005

Am I Entering A New Stage?

The students are out on June 17th, but here is the deal. I have been teaching for six years. However, this is the first year that I am thrilled for summer and just can't wait. I usually begin missing the school year before it has even ended. This year, I feel that I could be the first out running and screaming.

The kids this year were very different in many different ways. I handled that fine. Overall it was a good year, but I am ready to Goooooooo!

Is the newness wearing? Is this a new stage? :)

19. lowrie

lowrie Companion

May 31, 2005

Prior to last year, we went back the last week of August. Government passed legislation provincially so that in Manitoba students go back now the Tuesday after labour day in September. We have 41 weeks of school a year, that's in class time. They get 10 school days off at Christmas and the last week of March for spring break.

Teachers, of course, go back during the last two weeks of August but that's not an absolute. I know of teachers that only go back the last day of August and others that go in every day for the last two weeks. My next door neighbour is a teacher and she goes in every morning the last two weeks of August to set up and prepare but she keeps her afternoons free.

So, actual non school time is two weeks at Christmas, one week in March, and eight weeks in the summer.

On the issue of "snow days," there are no days designated as snow days (as I gather there are in some of the US schools from posts I've read here about getting out early because of unused snow days?) and the last time I remember the schools closing due to the weather was in 1997 when we had a blizzard where we got more snow in one weekend than we'd had all winter. Drifts were over six feet high in some areas -- we were closed for one day. I live where we start getting snow in late October and it finally melts for good usually in April. In 2004, we had a snow storm around May 15th (thankfully this year is shaping up nicely and it's hot and sunny today!)

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 31, 2005

We build in 5 snow days here in Arkansas. If we don't use them, then we get out 5 days early. We haven't really had any bad snow storms the last few years. When we get hit, we get hit with ice. Where I am, we have lots of hills that the buses can't get out to. That's when we cancel school.

21. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

May 31, 2005

We don't get snow days here. I'm counting down to Friday!!! Today is the last day I see ALL of my classes. The remainder of the week is finals schedule, only two groups a day to Friday....

Hurry Friday...

22. lowrie

lowrie Companion

May 31, 2005

We have bad snowstorms every year. Generally speaking we have snow drifts between four and five feet and getting 10 inches of snow in one afternoon is nothing.

There are days when the the school bus gets cancelled, last year in January (2004) we had days where the school bus was cancelled because the temperature was -52 Celcius (That's -61.6 Fahrenheit) and it is too dangerous to run school busses and make children wait outside (exposed skin can freeze in under a minute) when the temps are that low. When it was that cold, I drove my sons to school.

I think that the difference is, we are used to having that on a regular basis, so we have the equipment (and city budget) for snow clearing, and it is done fairly quickly -- the emergency routes first, then the public transit routes, then school bus routes, then all other streets and lanes. I have a friend who lives in Tennessee and she tells me I would laugh at how little snow it takes to close the schools there, but then they don't have the snow clearing force we do!

The bottom line is our schools don't have a bank of days in holding in the event of a school closure due to weather. I find the differences really interesting!

23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 31, 2005

We have 5 snow days built in, but if we don't use them we don't get out early. Sounds like an interesting idea to bring up at contract negotiations next year!

24. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

May 31, 2005

How do you get no snow days in your neck of the woods??

We got one snow day back we did not use, so we had Mon. and Tues. off for Memorial Day. Don't get out until June 22, which is a half day for the kids, full day for us, because we don't get final paychecks until our "checklist" of things to complete is done. But June is a lost cause - Awards Ceremonies, end of year field trips, plays that classes are performing for others, etc.

25. iloveteaching

iloveteaching Rookie

May 31, 2005

our school gets out on the 17th!!! But atleast most of my students are still focused!!!!

26. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

May 31, 2005

some of Arkansas is equipped most of it isn't. Mainly because you can have a year where you'll miss a week, sometimes even two for snow.. then go five years and never miss a day! Snow is a rarity, not a thing we count on.

What day do you go back from summer? I'm just asking because I have a friend in Canada, and I've noticed her kids seem to go the same number of days as ours (or close) but they go back in September, have a month at Christmas time, and consequently get out later than we do (Oh and can't forget their spring break that is also longer!)

27. iluvteaching

iluvteaching New Member

May 31, 2005

Our last day was last Friday. It was my first year teaching. I had Kindergarten. I started in January. It was a very good semester. I loved it. Not sure what I'll be doing in the Fall b'c I am relocating to be closer to family. Just got out of school.

I can't believe it's already over. I miss my kids. Sometimes they drove me bananas, but I loved them. I almost don't know what to do with myself with the summer off. :)

28. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 1, 2005

wow a month at Christmas? Are they in a private school? Around here no public schools get that much time off. We get 10 days at Christmas. I posted previously, we start the Tuesday after Labour Day, we get 10 days at Christmas, 5 days for spring break and we finish on June 30th. It works out to 42 school weeks a year or approximately 200 school days.

29. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Jun 1, 2005

first day of Finals... only two after today... yes, I'm counting...

30. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jun 1, 2005

TODAY was my last day
    it was a day from hades...
    but it's OVER for now WOOHOOOOO!
    Off to see my mom and dad tomorrow
    and then off to south carolina next week :D

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 2, 2005

LOL- day from Hades. Today is my last teacher workday. We had 3. We are going to a darling restaurant called The Little Tea House. Our one male teacher will be thrilled - they even have dress-up stuff like boas for little girls who come for birthday parties. I start tutoring in 10 days so will enjoy the time in-between at the pool. Good luck getting through the year, everyone.

32. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 2, 2005

We finished up Friday (May 27th) and we had our final work day yesterday (I was finished by noon). Have those of you who start back in August beat though. We start back July 22 for teachers and the 29th for students.

33. D2theMcV

D2theMcV Rookie

Jun 2, 2005

I've been done going on two weeks, tomorrow June 3rd. I'm already five days into summer school!!!

hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! (sorry, that was mean!)

I'm always ready for the end of the school year. I guess I would say there's some kids I miss, but I don't miss them in general. Probably because I teach summer school, and have various football camps over the summer, so I'm around kids basically all year.

And can somebody tell if my district is stupid, or is it me? They release the schedule with the notation that if we use our five snow days, school will be extended a week. When it invariably happens, parents freak out and the phones light up at the schools and central office, because vacation plans have been made, etc. Every other school I've been around sets the "end" date a week later, and then if they don't use the days get out early.

I've sent e-mails to the scheduling committee and get really lame excuses for it. One was that it was a state law. I guess all the other schools in the state are in violation!!!

34. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Jun 2, 2005

Summer school.... ha ha ha yourself. I'll be thinking of you while we are at the beach and Disneyland... Summer School, like that isn't torture...:)

Two days to no more kids... I think I can make it...

35. D2theMcV

D2theMcV Rookie

Jun 2, 2005

Have you ever taught summer school? It's like stealing money! Only have to hit the "important" things (basics). No homework for them or me! 3 hours to make over $80. I love it! And more importantly, I need it!

36. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Jun 2, 2005

Still not worth it... My husband stays home with the kids and I told him if he wants extra money for the summer he can get a job. I need the break especially after coaching and teaching.

37. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Jun 3, 2005

Today is it!!! my last day with this group. I can't seem to stop smiling... The morning is going to be rough. The afternoon group should be a breeze!!! I can do it, I can do it... tonight is graduation and then they are gone!

38. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 3, 2005

We're done!

We had a nice morning today... the kids all came as usual, then we bathroomed them, etc, and waited... which is always a little hard, but we turned on a video... we shuttled the kids over to the park by class (ours was last) in the van.. the kids (and their parents and siblings!) had about an hour or so to play on the playground, socialize, etc... we also had face painting and a letter bead-stringing craft for those who were interested... then, we all ate (staff provided lunch, yay potluck!), and the kids left, either on their busses or with parents. One bus was half-hour late, we think they forgot it was a half day... but now, we're off for the summer. :) I mean, a week off and then summer school, but i'm NOT working there the first 2 weeks, then just subbing... so it should be a nice change of pace. ;)

39. aussiejen

aussiejen Rookie

Jun 4, 2005

Our last day is December 21st!

Only 6 months to go! and absolutley NO snow days!

I am very jealous that you are all on summer vaction and SUNBURNT Upsadaisy!! No sunburn here I'm afraid.

Hope you all have a very happy and relaxing summer!

40. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 4, 2005

Is NJ the last state to let us out??????

41. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 4, 2005

teacher333 my friend in ny gets around the same time schools in nj do.