Last day of school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Jun 3, 2015.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 3, 2015

I don't know what to do on the last day of school. :( I usually buy canvas bags from Oriental Trading for them to decorate, but I didn't want to spend the money this year. I also do an ice cream sundae party, but, again, I'm not spending the money this year.

I have a 70 minute time block in the morning, and a 40 minute block in the afternoon (right before dismissal). I can't do an extra recess, because there are other kids outside for recess at those times. I'm not doing autographs, because we do that school-wide this Friday. I could book the computer lab, or give them free time in the classroom, but is that boring? I feel like we should do a fun, bonding, "last hurrah" sort of thing.

Any fun ideas? Thanks!

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 3, 2015

Are you allowed to show movies? We did a movie on our last day.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 3, 2015

Board games?

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 3, 2015

My kids love "Minute to Win It" games. Just do a Google search and you'll find tons of ideas, likely with items you already have have on hand in the classroom.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2015

I plan on using some of the time for them to write messages to the incoming fourth graders - tips for success, something they wish they knew/did at the beginning of the year, warnings about my horrible puns, etc... :) And we will also put together an art portfolio f all their work that day. Do our class game they've worked on all year, and such...

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 3, 2015

Dance party!

8. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jun 4, 2015

Minute it to win it games! They are simple, the kids love them, and they are cheap to put together!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2015

Our last day was supposed to be a half day (assembly then quick class clean up and good-bye). We found out on Monday that it will now be a full day, with an assembly taking up the entire afternoon. The grade 7 and 8 teachers got together yesterday, and we've planned a morning of group games--Giant Pictionary, relay races, etc.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 4, 2015

Yeah, I swear by games for the last week. They should be games with redeeming value, of course, but so many great games are worthwhile for many reasons.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 4, 2015

Love the board game and minute to win it ideas! (I'm already showing Charlotte's Web, so I can't do another movie.)

We can't do a dance party because my class is out of control. :lol:

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2015

I usually do rotations of things I don't have to plan...
    SMARTBoard game
    sidewalk chalk
    make a Father's day poster on MSWord
    Jenga
    100 piece puzzles
    play dough
    Sudoku puzzles
    Tangrams
    i-pad games

13. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 4, 2015

We did a variety show in the classroom. Give them time to come up with their acts, then let them perform for their classmates.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2015

We actually go on a field trip the last day...It sounds crazy, but it's the best. We go to a kid's museum with hands-on activities. Link here: http://www.trompomagico.com.mx/ They have some one in charge of each class so it makes for a nice day (with other adults helping to guide and assist the kids).

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 6, 2015

Do you have ipads or chromebooks? My kids LOVE Kahoot! I'm going to make a Would You Rather Kahoot! survey game for next week (our last week) because they also love Would You Rather.

We are doing memory books next week. I bought one on TPT.

We are going to do a couple of STEM challenges as well - make random groups and see who can build the tallest tower with play dough and toothpicks or just a certain number of pieces of paper, etc. I did one at the beginning of the year where they made bridges with toothpicks and gum drops. Those are so fun and cheap to do.

I found some end of the year task cards on TPT. I think the store was Teaching with a Mountain View. Might be kind of upper-gradey, but can probably be adapted for 2nd. They have things like making a brochure about your class, making "Best of" lists for the year, etc. They look really fun.