Last couple months of school

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Apr 5, 2015.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 5, 2015

How do you all end your year?

I've got a great group of kids, but I've noticed attention starting to slack a bit. It seems everyone has spring fever. A simple little thing like a bug on the wall turns into "Oh! A bug!" and instantly I lose everyone's attention. I can gain it back again, but they're just easily distracted. We're starting some major standardized testing (multiple types, it will last for around 5 weeks) and here are my two goals/hopes:

1) Keep them focused for testing and learning content in class
    2) Give their brains some rest time or something different for those days when they're just fried from testing

I'm not sure whether it is better to stick with routine, or try to plan some more interesting, fresh activities. I'm also silently cursing this testing because it makes it feel like the end of the year is here, when really we still have two full months of supposed teaching time. Testing is going to disrupt our regular schedule and routine quite a lot. Is it just me, or is this happening in other schools too?

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 5, 2015

My kids were antsy only the day before spring break. Now that we are off for the next week, it'll give them time to refresh. The day after we come back starts our 2 weeks of state testing. Then it's practically May. I have all of May and June to teach. June really is a lost month has I have the seniors so we will have a lot of trips and activities planned. So really I just have May to get through.

Not sure how they are going to be after the state tests. But I can still get their attention with the fact that they have 1 more report card, and that if they can't shape up, they will probably spend time in summer school, and who wants to do that? It's the do it now or do it later argument.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 5, 2015

Testing is always the worst. Hate going through it. I always love the final three weeks, because that's when we do the most fun stuff, and we can look at topics that we couldn't earlier in the year.

5. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Apr 7, 2015

I do lessons outside from time to time.