Last 10 days.... BEHAVIOR!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Kirby, May 9, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 9, 2008

School is just about over, but we still have ten painful days to go.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for keeping the kiddos under control so you don't loose your mind and end up hating your job?? Because I totally don't want to go back to work today... or, ever.

Instead of centers, I have been giving them packets. Usually they are all phonics, writing, and math, but this one had a word search stuck in there. Of course the principal comes in that time (to help with one of my super difficult kids) and walks around and starts asking kids, "So what are you learning from this?" AH! This was the first time they ever got something like that all year - it was to keep them busy, quiet, and seated so I can get my 26 first graders DIBEL, DRA, and PROJECT READ tested! Grrrrr.

So now only does she think I can't control my class, but I can't teach! Okay okay, I'm sure she doesn't totally think that, but that's the impression she got. :(

3. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 9, 2008

Every principal has been a teacher before so I am sure that they understand what the last few days of school are like. Don't beat yourself up too much. I continue the routine as much as I can. I don't change things on them because I don't want them to get crazy. I do the same for all vacations and breaks. It helps a lot because that way I never lose control. The last day is the only day I have a party but I leave it till the end of the day. They have to earn the party by remaining good until that last hour :).

Helps if you put up on the board the work PARTY and everytime they are not good you can erase a letter, or part of a letter. They see that their party is slipping away and they starting acting right :) Works for me at least

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 9, 2008

What is wrong with a word search???? My first graders love them and it helps them learn their sight words and learn to spell them. Don't even give it another thought. How does a kid know what he is learning anyway? I am feeling cranky myself and I think it was a stupid question for a principal to ask.

My advice is to keep them super busy every single day. Make their packets interesting, and keep including word searches and hidden pictures and counting, and coloring pages, and sections of reading with questions to answer. Lots of thinking work and a few pages of something that is fun!

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 9, 2008

First I have to say that I'm jealous you only have 10 days left! But you must start earlier than us.

I just did a couple of weeks of a looser schedule (for a variety of reasons), and I am definitely going back to the regular routine next week. Otherwise I won't survive!

I am trying to add some fun stuff, though - like practicing sight words outside with sidewalk chalk and playing some active games.

One year when it got particurly bad towards the end of the year I had each table group earn points towards ice cream sundaes. The number of points they got determined how many scoops of ice cream (maximum 3) and how many toppings they got. I had parents donate the ice cream and toppings (that stuff can get pretty pricey) and we did it on the next-to-the-last day of school.

6. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

May 9, 2008

i have two that are pushing EVERY button right now. i have written one of them up 3 times this week for being WAY disrespectful.

i do lots of rewards and missing of recess. and keep them busy and involved.

LC

7. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

May 9, 2008

I do packets of review work too. Its the only way I can keep my group controlled. I break it up with cut and paste, graphs they have to color, and by having them make comic strips that teach a topic. While they are doing seat work I am pulling two at a time to teach a mini lesson to them. Its extra helpful if you have a volunteer parent to help you. At this time of year I need volunteers more than ever.
    I also go back to using a ton of praise and tons of little rewards. I use coupons for non-tangibles like using my office chair for 15 or 30 minutes, chew gum for a day, read to a kindergartener, sit on the pillows, extra time at recess, etc. They love them and cost me nothing. All I have to do is hold up my coupon pad that I got from Dollar Tree and they instantly snap to it. I've also used "raffle tickets" with previous classes and handed them out to deserving kids and on the last day of school I gave away some really cool prizes. I ask for donations by parents and usually get a few things.

8. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

May 9, 2008

Only 10 days left! Lucky you! I've got 17!!!!!! At this point, it's all about doing what you can so they don't drive you crazy. I've got a rough group this year and they are on my last nerve. I literally cried myself to sleep a couple of nights this week and woke up and bawled as I got ready for school. Thank goodness my co-workers are helping me out. I think they finally realized how bad it is when I broke down at lunchtime. I have 2 particularly difficult ones who they've agreed to take for portions of the day so I don't lose my mind :eek:

I have to be really creative because mine get bored/frustrated with packets, then the misbehavior really begins! :mad:

9. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

May 9, 2008

Movies, movies and more movies.

10. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 9, 2008

Oh, I'll trade your 10 for my 30!!
    I was coming here to post a similar vent!
    I have a decent group but about 5 of them are really driving me up a wall.....making it so that I don't want to be there!
    I need something, with a month left to keep them under control. I would love to take recess away, but am not allowed to (another post, another time). It seems to be the only thing that really matters to them...so Im open for all kinds of suggestions in addition to the great ideas here......

11. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 9, 2008

Hey I have until mid August!!! Year round school

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 9, 2008

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm trying to keep them really busy. It's hard when I need to sit down and do testing for so long! But I'm almost done and I have 9 more days left! Well, actually 8 since two are half days. Weeee!!!

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 10, 2008

I also have a challenging group of first graders. I have about 5 who are WAY above the rest of the class in reading, one who can barely read her own name, two boys who make great academic grades but are behaviorally challenging, to say the least, and a couple more who act out because they are below the class in reading (yet they are going to 2nd grade, but that's another post). I'm thankful for any and all suggestions -- this is my first solo classroom!

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 10, 2008

Last Thursday, as soon as the kids left, I went down my class roster and called every single parent. Some were good phone calls, and some were not so good :) Either way, Friday was a MUCH better day!

15. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

May 10, 2008

I close the door and keep them in the room and do not let them out until PE and lunch. :lol: My second graders are out of control too. Nothing is working- movies, centers, packets of review work, calls home to parents, even suspension. So it is just survival time. Starting next week, I think the principal will start sending them home until August!:D

We have 8 1/2 kid days that includes 1 field day, 1 field trip, 4 or 5 assemblies(I can't remember) plus anything thing else they can throw at us.

16. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

May 10, 2008

I was coming on to see if anyone had any suggestions. I have totally had it with a couple of mine (actually more than a couple but if the couple are out then the others are better). I have one boy (lower than the rest of them) that is going to drive me to drink before the next 10 days are over. Where's Major and his magaritas (another post over in general ed). He refused (REFUSED) to go to timeout in another teacher's room. I have written him up and nothing seems to work to get him under control. He is capable of doing much more than he does. He chooses not to do so. Say a prayer that he convinces Mom to keep him home the next 10 days since he doesn't want to be there anyway.

17. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

May 10, 2008

I'll say a prayer for yours to stay home if you say a prayer that my 2 problem children will stay home!:lol:

Unfortunately, they are never absent unless suspended! Their parents don't want to deal with them either!

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 10, 2008

Put a little bug in his ear and tell him that since he is choosing not to come to school to learn then maybe he should just stay home, watch TV and play video games ;).