Lasik

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kcjo13, Mar 1, 2012.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 1, 2012

This question could be like asking about wisdom teeth, but I'm going to risk it!

I go in tomorrow for my consult about lasik surgery! I have worn contacts since eighth grade, and my eyes have said enough is enough. I hate my glasses, so I have to do something.

So let me have it... What are your experiences? The good, the bad, the ugly...:lol:

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2012

I know several people who have had it done. They've all been very pleased. One works outside all the time, and he was so glad to be rid of his glasses. He couldn't wear contacts, and he had really bag eyesight. He loves not wearing glasses. The other recently had to start wearing glasses again. He had his surgery maybe 15 years ago? He's had to start wearing reading glasses, but that's more to do with his age, not anything to do with the surgery.

Oh, and one thing to consider. If you have "corrective lenses" on your driver's license, make sure to have that taken off after the surgery. DH's cousin was pulled over for an unrelated incident, and since he wasn't wearing glasses or contacts, he was given a fine for not wearing his glasses. He had to get his doctor to write a letter that he had the surgery, and then he had to take it to the DMV and get his license changed, and then they dropped the fine.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 1, 2012

My doctor offers lifetime adjustments, which I hope will never be needed, but is nice just the same!

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2012

You asked for the good, the bad, and the ugly...I have a teacher friend who had the surgery done...the dr sneezed during the procedure and now she has permanent blindness in one eye.

Way back in college we had a discussion in a philosophy course asking which sense, if you had to lose one, would be your least favorite choice? Most people said that eyesight would be the one sense that we really would have the most difficulty losing.

I think about that when the topic of lasik comes up. I don't think I could risk it.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2012

kc~no advice, but I would love to do this sometime!

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2012

I agree swan...I wouldn't risk it. My mother is blind and I've seen how much it has infuenced her life. It makes me very sad. That said, my husband believes it was the BEST decision he's ever made. He did have a minor complication, but it was temporary pain (involving his sinuses...he still says it was without question the greatest pain he's ever experienced) and worth it.

8. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Mar 1, 2012

My sister's boss had it done several years ago...she's had issues with double vision ever since.

9. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2012

I'm considering it as well because I have really bad eyesight. However, contact lenses are comfortable for me and I'm scared of the risk.
    I'm honestly fine with living with contact lenses for the rest of my life. I'm just terrified to pass on my bad eyesight to my kids in the future, like my mom did to me and my sister.

10. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 1, 2012

I wear glasses (don't like contacts) and plan to get it in the future. I don't know anyone that has had a bad experience, only positive. There ARE negatives though, and I'd run from any doctor that isn't very clear about them.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 1, 2012

Swan, I hope there was a settlement out if that situation...

I also would have worn contacts forever, but all of a sudden my eyes have refused. I hate my glasses with a passion. I feel tired and droopy with them.

I have a lost of questions a mile long...I'll let you all know how it goes!

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 2, 2012

This is probably a really wacky perspective ... but, my husband, who is a bit of a doomsday planner, makes me very concerned about my terrible eyesight. If I ever lost access to my contacts or eyeglasses, I would be in major trouble.

That being said, I'm very chicken about lasik. EVEN though, I know 3 people that had it and are pleased with it.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2012

My eyesight is terrible--I've worn glasses since I was 5 years old. Neither of my parents wore glasses for anything other than reading, and my children both have perfect vision. I guess I'm just an anomaly :lol:.

As far as Lasik, I've had friends who had it done and were thrilled with the results, although I'm not sure I'd consider it. After this long, I'm not sure how I'd feel without glasses!

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 2, 2012

Thanks ku! I don't find that strange at all. When I went to space camp, I accidentally lost a contact, and had forgotten my glasses. I was literally blind-I would have had to go home, if not for a kind tech at a walmart who broke the rules and gave me a sample contact. I felt so helpless!

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 2, 2012

BF's parents have terrible eyesight but all three children have great eyesight. One wears contacts from time to time but doesn't absolutely need them. The other two are 20/20.

My Mom had one eye done and is having the other eye done in April. So far all has been good!

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2012

One of my high school teachers and my brother in law both have had Lasik. So far so good.

I've been wearing glasses/contacts since I was 15. I went from perfect 20/20 to needing corrective lenses thanks to this acne medication. :(

My brother, however, has needed corective lenses since he was in kinder.

Anyways, I would lOVE to try Lasik, but I know that with my luck, I'll end up walking out blind in one or both eyes. I just don't trust the doctors/machinery.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 2, 2012

I just read in the FDA brochure on lasik that last year, they received 150 complaints about the procedure. Thus far, approximately 12.4 million have been performed. I'm willing to risk it!

My surgery is scheduled for March 24. I can't wait! I'll keep you all posted.

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2012

Ooooh, exciting! I hope everything goes well! I know several people who've had it and are soooo happy they did.

I've been wanting Lasik for years, but I'm not a candidate. I'm not even a candidate for permanent lenses. I've been told the only way they'll mess with my eyes is if I'm going stone blind. Sigh. Glasses/contacts it is.

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 3, 2012

Good luck! :) Maybe I will be brave enough one day.

20. smalltowngal

Mar 3, 2012

Good luck, kc!

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2012

Well, I did it! It wasn't bad at all. It got a little painful that afternoon, but I made it through with a little help from Advil PM. I am seeing better every day! So worth it.

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2012

I did take today off. Not so much because of the surgery, although it will be nice to just rest my eyes at home today, but because I had a very busy weekend, and I am exhausted! Enjoying GMA in my sweats right now...

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2012

Glad to hear it went well!!!

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2012

So, I'm a scardey cat. I would love to try Lasik but it terrifies me. So, I'm glad that it went well for you then! What was the scariest part of the surgery? Any pain during? I know at one point you can't see out of the eye they are working on. Did you go into panic mode? I can see myself panicking and freaking out.

25. smalltowngal

Mar 26, 2012

kc~do you still have to put drops in your eyes every 5-15 minutes and wear goggles at night?

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2012

OK, so here's a rundown of my surgery...I'm sure every place is different, as I've already heard different stories from friends...

I arrived at the place, and had a million and one forms to fill out. They take your payment, or figure out your payments, whatever you are going to do, and get all the consents. They gave me a Valium, and 2 benedryl tablets. I hadn't eaten at all the day before, and not that morning, so the check in lady gave me her granola bar from her lunch, which I thought was really nice! They go over the tons of drops you'll use, and gave me a lovely hairnet and booties.

Next, they took us back to the waiting area where there were already about 5 people waiting, and one in the laser room (my place only does surgery 3 times a month, so they are stacked up). The laser area is glassed in, and has screens so you can watch if you want. If you're squeamish, I don't recommend watching!

When I was second in line, the doc came out and took me into an exam room and went over any last minute reminders. He also examined my eyes one last time. Then back to the waiting room.

When it was my turn, they took me in and had me lay down on what looked like a chiropractor table, with a hole for your head. They put a bunch of numbing drops in (by this time, the Valium was really doing its job!). Here is where it gets a little...fun.

They put this device under your eye lids, and it pulls your lids open, exposing your eyes. I promise, this did not bother me at all. LOOKS completely horrible, but I barely noticed it. Next, this round device sits on your eye, and creates a suction. I had all laser lasik, which means they use this laser to cut the flap, instead of a blade. It doesn't really hurt, it just puts pressure on your eye. It is kinda loud, but not bad. I could still hear the music playing, and the doc and his assistant were trying to figure out who was singing the song playing (Hold On Loosely). I was just focusing on listening to them, so I told them (.38 Special), which they found hilarious! Then the suction breaks, and they do the other eye. Again, no pain, just weird. I don't really remember my vision blacking out for very long, it just looks like bright lights, and...nothingness. Weird.

Next, I had to get up and move to another table. This is where the actual lasering was done. They put the eyelid thingy back on, and position your head just right. More numbing drops, and the doc takes this miniature spatula thingy and lifts the flap. I would not know this had I not watched the people before me. It did look like I was drink, because what you can see is moving up and down. Next, the laser moves in. All of this I did not feel AT ALL. But I will say (and no where online did I read about this)...YOU CAN SMELL IT. It smells like burning hair or flesh. Which is exactly what it is. That was weird. Again, did not feel this at all. This took about 10 seconds per eye. While this was going on, the next song came on (Black Horse and the Cherry Tree), and my doc said "bet you can't get this one". Of course, he's never played Who Sings It with the Champ (me), so I naturally impressed him (KT Tunstall). Before that song was half over, it was all done. I mention the songs for time reference-the entire thing took half of one classic rock song, and half of a newer pop song.

The doc then flips the flap back down, and uses a paint brush thingy to plaster the flap down. They helped me stand up, and I could see instantly. Not perfectly, but kinda like I was underwater. I went back out to the waiting room, and that was it! I was told to go home and take a nap, and come back the next morning. The bright sun didn't feel great, but wasn't bad. Sunglasses made it fine.

I went home, and fell right to sleep. I also took 4 Advil. Now is where it gets a little hairy...I woke up after about an hour, and my right eye HURT. Bad. The left one just felt like I had some grit in it, but the right was having these shooting pains. I knew that the best thing to do was to go to sleep, but as I told my hubby, if I put your nether regions in a vice grip, and told you if you went to sleep it would feel better, would that work? :lol: Finally, after a while of him rubbing my back and forehead, and figuring out that if I laid face down with my forehead resting on a pillow so my eyes were up, it got better. The nurse recommended putting my drops in the freezer for a while, and that helped.

I woke up about 5 hours later, and felt a thousand times better. I could read the microwave clock from across the room. Before, I couldn't have gotten close enough to read it before my eyes crossed.

That night, I took more Advil PM, and the next morning, everything was much better. I did have an inflammation in my right eye, which was causing the pain, so I had to get some stronger steroid drops. But every time you sleep, it gets better. The dryness is the worst, but you just become addicted to the artificial tears. I have an antibiotic drop 4 times a day, and the steroid every 2 hours until tomorrow, then 4 times a day, for a week. The tears for a month. And yes, I have to tape these goggles on at night, but they don't bother me at all.

I would do it again--IN A HEARTBEAT. I wish I would have done it years ago. So worth it! I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has!

27. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 26, 2012

Glad to know everything went well. I'm still a 'fraidy cat, and I wouldn't want to spend the money, but I'm glad it's everything you hoped it would be!!! :)

28. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2012

Yay! So glad it went well!

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 26, 2012

I'm glad it worked out for you! Although I've worn glasses since 10th grade & about a couple yrs later, started wearing contacts, I don't NEED to wear glasses/contacts 24/7. I only wear glasses to watch TV at home & that's it. I wear contacts mainly to change my eye color, even though they are prescription contacts, so I don't really need the Lasik procedure.

30. smalltowngal

Mar 26, 2012

That does it! I'm not having that done!

31. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2012

Why?!?! Don't let anything I say change your mind! You won't regret it! Seriously, I'd rather do that all again than have my next gyn appointment. That is much more uncomfortable. And the results are SOOOOO worth it!

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2012

I couldn't read your whole description, kc. There are really only two things in this world that make my stomach turn--eyes and teeth. Once you started describing exposing your eye, my stomach did a little flip flop and I scrolled down here.

I'm so glad it went smoothly for you.

33. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2012

:lol: MrsC! It really wasn't bad. My husband recorded the whole thing on his phone from the waiting room (which they don't want you to do, but he pretended he was checking his facebook), if you ever change your mind!

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2012

Thanks...I'll let you know.

35. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2012

Thanks for sharing the experience. I'm with MrsC. Anything to do with eyes freak me out. I mean, I can wear contacts no problem but lasers, needles, scalpels, anything like that near eyes scare me.

36. gemgirlxoxo

gemgirlxoxo Rookie

Mar 26, 2012

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost? I just went for a lasik eval today and it costs $3450, originally 5000 but they are having a special, or so they say.

I have mine scheduled in three weeks but just realized I am going to a concert the next night. The surgery is at 2pm and the concert is at 6pm the next day, do you think I will be okay to go and will see good? I'd rather not have to reschedule but I wanna be able to enjoy the concert.

37. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2012

Gemgirl, my surgery cost just about exactly that much. I checked around to several places, and all were in that ball park.

If it were me in that situation, I would have been fine to go to a concert the next day. My eyes do get tired, but if you rest you should be fine-but of course everyone is different. I'm ready for bed now, just to let my eyes close and rest. Just make sure to do NOTHING the rest of the day of your surgery, and follow the directions carefully with the drops.

38. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 26, 2012

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have horrible eyesight and want to get LASIK. Or there's a new type of corrective surgery which involves implanting lenses in your eye. I haven't done enough research bit I think it's more expensive.

What was the purpose if the Benedryl on top of the Valium? To dry your eyes out?

39. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2012

The benedryl was to help you sleep, plus I would guess it has the added feature of calming any allergies. I could have not taken it, or just taken Advil PM.

40. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Mar 26, 2012

My husband had it done and I watched. In fact, my daughter was 2 at the time and she watched too! :)