Lasik Eye Surgery

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Proud2BATeacher, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 15, 2007

What is everyone's opinion with lasik eye surgery? Has anyone had it done?

I am applying for a part-time job as a patient counselor in a lasik eye surgery clinic, but at this time I wouldn't think of getting it done myself. The job is mostly dealing with the financial aspect of the surgery but I am wondering if my wearing glasses will prevent me from getting the job because it will look like I don't trust the procedure. I feel like I will be part of the percentage where something goes wrong if I get it done.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 16, 2007

I haven't had it done because I like my glasses. I even gave up my contact lenses. My brother-in-law had it done and it worked well, except he still needs glasses for reading.

I don't think they'll hold it against you for wearing glasses, but, you never know. I've personally never heard of anyone who had bad results, have you?

4. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Jun 16, 2007

I want it done so bad!!! As soon as I get paid for working (November) I'm starting an account so I can get it done!

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 16, 2007

My friend had it done up in Canada (Quebec I think). She loves not having to wear glasses any more. It has been about four yrs now.
    I want it done. I can get it done for about 3000.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 16, 2007

I love wearing my glasses too. I do have contacts that I could wear though. I only know a couple of people who have had it done and they do not have any problems with it, but I am still paranoid. Maybe if I am offered a discount...:D .

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2007

For what it's worth, I don't think everyone is a candidate for LASIK. So I can't imagine your wearing glasses should stand in the way of getting a job for which you're otherwise qualified.

8. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

I had it done in 2002... it was the best $2000 I have EVER spent of my husband's money. :) He flexed it; I spent it!! I absolutely love not wearing my glasses or contacts!! Just being able to wake up and see my little girls' faces or the rabbits in my yard as I take the dogs out has been WONDERFUL!!! I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat. When I had LASIK, I was ANAL about the aftercare and so far it's worked. I have 20/15 in my right eye and between 20/20 to 20/15 in my left eye.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 18, 2007

Teacher RW, do you have any problems with halos or your night vision?

10. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jun 18, 2007

I also had it done about 3 years ago. I love not having to wear my glasses also. (I had to wear them since 3rd grade.) I had the problems with the night vision at first but am good now. My eye doctor recommended the place to have it done and I can get free touch-ups for life. (part of the original price) If you really want it...do it. I agree though, that not everyone is a candidate. They will tell you. Don't settle for cheap discount places, buy one get one free. Talk to your eye doctor and see what s/he recommends.

11. nanaafia

nanaafia Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

I had Lasik done last year (October) and it was the best thing I've ever done! However, one word of caution. If you have to have the PRK procedure done, do only one eye at a time. It took nearly three months for me to fully recover.

12. gorusty202

gorusty202 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

I had LASIK done back in 2001 and I am so happy with the results. Yeah they tell you that it won't cure you from having to wear reading glasses but I thought that was okay because I am not going to have to buy glasses, contacts, solution, cases and all the other things that come with wearing them. I totally recommend it. I have had many friends that had it done as well and only one had a complication but was fixed. NO side effects for me.

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

I had it done 7 years ago. It was the best thing I ever did!!! I always had problems with contacts. The sun, sand, wind, allergies alcohol, smoke bothered them. One day I went swimming at my Dad's house. I had to take them out because the chlorine irritated them. I did not have my glasses. I only had prescription sunglasses. I drove home at night with them (with my kids in the car). I was petrified. My vision was perfect after 3 days!!! The doctor corrected one 20/20 and the other a little off so I can always read labels in the market and a menu. I love waking up up the morning and being able to see everything. As I am getting older, I am needing reading glasses to read a book. It was the best thing I ever did.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

How likely is it to still need glasses for reading even after the surgery? I think that would be more of a hassle than just having glasses all the time, y'know?

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

Cassie, My doctor told me I would probably need reading glasses when I got into my 40's and I do. The laser surgery eliminated my need for glasses or contacts for distance vision: driving, movies, T.V., ect. I would probably need bifocals, or special contacts if I did not have the surgery. I wear the (drug store purchased) glasses only when I am reading a book. Otherwise, I don't need anything!!!

16. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jun 28, 2007

Been there and done that. My only regret, is that I miss my seeing eye dog. Seriously, I love not wearing glasses anymore. $3K and worth every penny for me.

17. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 1, 2007

Proud2BeATeacher... I have never had ANY problems with my eyes-- no halos, night vision problems, nothing. My eyes at first were a bit drier and I needed to use drops when outside for extended periods of time. But now, five years later, I never use the drops. Honestly, it was the best $ I have ever spent on myself. Ever!

18. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 1, 2007

DaveF and Teacher RW- At first I felt guilty and vain doing something I felt was elective, almost cosmetic. I agree it was the best $ I ever spent!!

19. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 1, 2007

I agree. If I had to do it all over again, I would in a minute.

20. MissBee06

MissBee06 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

I really want to have the procedure done but I'm waiting for a while. I have an appointment with my opthamologist in a few months and I'll get his opinion. He's a great Dr. and very respected, so he can tell me who I need to see to have it done. Until then I'm starting to save the money...

21. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 12, 2007

My eye doctor told me I'd be stupid to get it since I have one eye that has pretty limited sight as a birth defect. She said that if there were complications I could end up in big trouble and with minimal sight.