Large or Small District?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 19, 2010

Whether you've worked at both or not, which do you prefer & why?

I sub for a lg dist (33 schools), which which nev bothered me 1 way or the other. For a yr, I worked at a tiny dist (4 schools) & it was OK.
    But, this fall, I'll work a 3-month job in a tiny private speech & language clinic & will be 1 of only 3 employees & ea of us has a different job title. I think I'll like it! I've never worked for such a small co, but I welcome the change!

3. Irma

Irma Companion

Jun 19, 2010

I've worked in a small district for 8 years. I like the family feel but like family, it can get strange at times. The only thing that it difficult for me is there isn't much opportunity for growth and the pay isn't the same as what a larger district can offer. All in all, it's been decent and it's a good district-high standards, schools of excellence, etc. so I'll stay for the time being.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 19, 2010

I've only ever worked for a large district (very large-over 300 schools). I like it-we have a lot of resources in our administration for curriculum or specializations like early childhood or special ed. The only downsides I have run into is all the red tape (to order something or get a computer or window fixed, etc) and we are a big target for the local news organizations.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2010

A district with over three-hundred schools is hard to imagine! Three or four is more like it! :)

I attended a small district...it wasn't tiny, but around, oh, I think 2,000 students. That included everyone in the entire county with the exception of a few homeschooled students and a super tiny private school. I work for a district that is about the same enrollment-wise. I don't think I'd have it any other way.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2010

My district has 199 schools--165 of them elementary (most K-8), and about 115,000 students.

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jun 19, 2010

I teach in a small district with 4 elementary schools. I love it. We still have the flexibility to try new programs but are still small enough to know everyone who teaches at my grade level. I have taught in smaller districts with only 2 grades per level and that is too small. I have also taught in a large district with over 50 elementary schools. You don't know many people but those that teach in your building. I think it is up to you as to how big or small you want to be! :)

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2010

I grew up in a small district...1 elementary, 1 middle, 1 high school. I've worked for 2 large districts that were just fine. The resources were incredible and each school was like a family. I now work in a smaller district than the first 2 but bigger than the one I grew up in. I like it!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2010

My school has 600 kids in it...and that's just grades K-4. Our middle school has just about that number. For a relatively small town, it's a huge amount of students. I love my school and love that I work on a grade level team where we can bounce ideas off one another, share resources, laugh and learn with each other....

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 19, 2010

The Chicago Public Schools have 409,000 students and 24,000 teachers! I don't think I'll ever wrap my head around it.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2010

Where I grew up, there were 21 school districts in my county. I went to one of the bigger ones- they have:
    1 kindergarten school
    4 1st-4th elementary schools
    1 intermediate school (5-6)
    1 middle school (7-8)
    1 high school
    1 alternative ed school (serves 7-8 and kids from other districts use it, too)
    (When I went, there was no intermediate school- the elementary buildings held 1-5 and the middle school 6-8)

Where I teach, school districts are county wide. I teach in a fairly rural county- we have :
    8 high schools
    8 middle schools
    22 elementary schools

I miss having a small district SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. The sense of community is way stronger- especially with things like sporting events (ESPECIALLY Homecoming). I honestly could not tell you when any of my local Homecoming games are (even in that season). In the town I grew up in, the whole town shuts down. They block off a major highway for the parade! It is so much more special when all of the schools have the same colors and mascot.

The other reason I prefer smaller districts is when snow days happen. I have sat home many times when the roads were perfectly dry (and had to make the time up on Spring Break because we do not build in snow days) because the northern corner of the county has snow. It is very irritating!

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2010

My county is growing constantly. We're up to 19 elementary schools and 5 high schools. When I started here, there were 11 elementary and 3 small high schools. The sense of community is definitely changing. I once knew most of the elementary teachers and could contact them about things. Don't know most of them now.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 19, 2010

I've always attended smaller school districts, and much prefer them. My high school class was only 58 students! My first teaching job was in a moderate district-two middle schools that pooled into one high school. I thought it was a good size-easy to get to know people, but also easy to stay anon if you wanted. Working for the San Fran. school district was TOO big-I couldn't find any help when I needed it. Our school was totally lost. But then working for a small private school after that was awful, too-too small. My current school is also very small-I'm one of only two teachers who cover first through fifth grade. I love the staff, but again, there are downfalls to the small school. It's easy to build community, but difficult to harness parent volunteering because there isn't a very pool to get help from. You're constantly straining your same parents over and over. And you really have to build up your professional circle, as again-you only have a few teachers to work with (in my case, one upper elem. and two kinder teachers), so it's hard to find fresh ideas.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2010

Wow, there are more students than that in my school!

15. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2010

I teach in a large district and love it! I grew up in this district and am now teaching in this district. I bought my house here because of the school district... much like everyone else does around here.

16. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jun 19, 2010

I guess mine is small-medium, I don't know--around 10,000 students in the district. I like it! I grew up in a small district--2-4 elem schools (started out as 4 but by the time I was in 6th grade they had closed 2), 1 middle school and 1 high school. I loved the community feel. There's just something about a small town. But I also like that there are more opportunities here! (and I'm just 30 minutes away from my hometown!)

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

Mine is small-4 elementary schools, 1 middle school, 1 junior high, and 1 high school. I love it! It's a lot more laid back than the district in the city where I went to college-it was huge!

18. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jun 20, 2010

We have about 98,000 students in 90 elementary, 24 middle, 21 high, and 20 other learning centers

and about 6,000 teachers. I like the availability of many resources.

19. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 20, 2010

We have about 1,600 students in my district, K-12. I feel so....small right now. :D

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 20, 2010

Wow, many of you work for huge districts! :eek:

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 20, 2010

Our pre-graduation enrollment at my school (K-12) hit 10,000 for the first time, but bear in mind that we accept students from all over the state of Ohio. We also graduated over 1000 this month and will probably have at least another 500 graduate late but still in 2010.

22. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jun 20, 2010

Wow! Lots of large districts. My school is in a single-school district. It's just us! :) About 148 Students (K-8) and 10 teachers! I love my little district!